Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Life in Texas means as little as fourty years....
Texas now has a life without parole sentencing option....and the number of death sentences being handed out has fallen since then.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Texas now has a life without parole sentencing option....and the number of death sentences being handed out has fallen since then.
When did I miss that one ? I know we now have the death sentence for child molesters for the second offence...

Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
When did I miss that one ? I know we now have the death sentence for child molesters for the second offence...
It's going to be declared unconstitutional because the Supreme Court has already ruled that it's only reserved for murder.

How about capital punishment for adultery? That should tie-in well with their "pro-family" views.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's going to be declared unconstitutional because the Supreme Court has already ruled that it's only reserved for murder.

How about capital punishment for adultery? That should tie-in well with their "pro-family" views.
You would compare adultry to child molestation?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You would compare adultry to child molestation?
Did you forget about the story in the Bible? Adultery was a capital offense.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Question: Does "Life imprisonment without possibility of parole" REALLY mean NO possibility of parole?

Answer: No

Therefore, those who argue for "LIFE" v Death Penalty, if they really want to try to change the attitude, had better get the states to change their laws to mean "LIFE" actually means "LIFE"!
When murderers spend less time in prison than those who commit fraud, I think the whole justice system needs to be more just (oh the irony). Until corruption and unfair terms are corrected, I can't put any faith in our justice system's ability to judge if a person should die. This is why I oppose the death penalty, though I agree with you that life sentences should follow their definition.

My opinion about this goes along with the "I could be next mentality".

Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Huh? Since when?

Quote:
Texas Capital Offenses:

The following crimes are Capital Murder in Texas:
  • murder of a public safety officer or firefighter;
  • murder during the commission of kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, or obstruction or retaliation;
  • murder for remuneration;
  • murder during prison escape;
  • murder of a correctional employee;
  • murder by a state prison inmate who is serving a life sentence for any of five offenses (murder, capital murder, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, or aggravated robbery);
  • multiple murders;
  • murder of an individual under six years of age.
Death Row Facts (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/drowfacts.htm - broken link)

It doesn't say anything about that there and the TDCJ is pretty good about updating its website. I heard some people were pushing for it, but I didn't think it had actually passed.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

How is adultery anything like molesting a child ?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Huh? Since when?

Death Row Facts (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/drowfacts.htm - broken link)

It doesn't say anything about that there and the TDCJ is pretty good about updating its website. I heard some people were pushing for it, but I didn't think it had actually passed.

Sept. 1, this year......

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
How is adultery anything like molesting a child ?
Read my last post above.

I also noticed that supporting the death penalty is a gateway to supporting inhumane things like torture. Just look at Bush and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies