Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:48 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Same here. They've been following him around for years trying to catch him on something, they probably set him up for this. Their judges will rule how they want.
Ok they framed him so that he'll appear as a racist? Nice try...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
One possibility I always entertain is that drivers are more likely to be stopped when they are Driving While Poor.
It was true in Oro Valley, AZ. We watched many older cars get pulled over, especially if they were full of Latinos. It got to the point I started joking about getting a new car, else I'd be getting tickets. You could seriously tell who was going to get pulled over by watching the cop cars follow the old car for a while, then pass it, then pull off the road. Back into traffic, and pull over the target.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I don't care what anyone says, if Arizona had no joe we would be looking like california right now so even though he goes a little over the top im glad to have him
If Arpaio (or anyone in AZ) really wanted to do anything about immigration, they would be enforcing Arizona's laws about hiring illegals which include using e-verify. That law WAS UPHELD by the Supreme Court. But there is no enforcement to speak of. One employer that I am aware of was busted by Arpaio and they were already bankrupt and closing down. The Feds on the other hand have raided a number of them most famously Ranch Pro Markets. Cheap labor is driving the whole thing and businesses benefit. Arpaio is all fluff and no substance. He hasn't deported even a relative thimble full of illegals and he never will. If he had never been elected our streets would look exactly as colorful as they do now.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
One possibility I always entertain is that drivers are more likely to be stopped when they are Driving While Poor.
Not true at all where I live. Maybe the cops are smarter here but they never pull over the more rickety trucks and cars because those drivers never pay their tickets and nothing can be done about them -- they know they have no license or insurance but they're here illegally and aren't going to pay anything, won't be deported.

What the cops do is hit the roads of those people who are heading to work or home from work, trying to catch anyone driving 3 mph over the speed limit. Here they go after those who look most like they'll just pay their tickets and fines and who might have an expired inspection sticker for 2 weeks. They definitely profile here but the reverse, they profile for who looks like they'll pay and yes -- most tickets go to the English speakers.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
yeah right...keep saying to yourself if it make you feel better.

joe has noting to do with the hispanic population in Arizona to date. Joe has not removed enough "hispanics" to move the needle one way or the other...

Hispanics make up 30% of the AZ population...sheriff joe didnt make any difference in that number.

Love him if you wish, but be honest with yourself.
did i mention hispanics?

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Is that because they are driving with expired plates, inspections out of date, vehicles with burned out head lights, tail lights etc?
I am not poor and yet I was pulled over for a headlight that was out.
But then for some it's never their fault. here illegally, no insurance, expired plates. yeah it just aint fair.

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Joe is the man, he will be around long after comrade obama is behind bars going down on his fellow prisoners... The only thing he is good at.
The Sheriff is 81 years old and obese, with health problems. I highly doubt he will be around much longer.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not true at all where I live. Maybe the cops are smarter here but they never pull over the more rickety trucks and cars because those drivers never pay their tickets and nothing can be done about them -- they know they have no license or insurance but they're here illegally and aren't going to pay anything, won't be deported.

What the cops do is hit the roads of those people who are heading to work or home from work, trying to catch anyone driving 3 mph over the speed limit. Here they go after those who look most like they'll just pay their tickets and fines and who might have an expired inspection sticker for 2 weeks. They definitely profile here but the reverse, they profile for who looks like they'll pay and yes -- most tickets go to the English speakers.

Where I'm from, no license = car impounded = at least get a few bucks when the car is auctioned.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Why is Fox News silent about this scandal?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is that because they are driving with expired plates, inspections out of date, vehicles with burned out head lights, tail lights etc?
I am not poor and yet I was pulled over for a headlight that was out.
But then for some it's never their fault. here illegally, no insurance, expired plates. yeah it just aint fair.

Poor people tend to drive beaters, cars that look like clunkers even if they have no apparent equipment deficiencies. I once had a co-worker who said he used to get pulled over a lot, until his grandmother stopped driving and gave him her nice car.

When people play the race card, voluminous statistics are compiled to support or oppose claims of racial profiling, but i've never ever seen any stats on Driving While Poor.

so when people start testing for racial profiling, i want to see stats on class profiling as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies