Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

It is not really surprising that only anti-gun control groups collect information on cases where the victim's gun is used to defend life and property. With our ultra-liberal media, I would anticipate that those cases are reported on the local level with NO emphasis on the gun owner's prevention of crime, and they certainly won't be pop up in the first 10 pages in an internet search using the search words that a 2nd Amendment advocate would use.

I decided to work backwards and to find how stories of victims using a gun to prevent a crime are initially reported. Randomly looking at one site called Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters, I checked one story called "Armed Homeowners Help Nab Serial Armed Robber." The story is taken from a mainstream daily newspaper covering east central Florida called Florida Today, and indeed describes exactly what the title says. But what was the title of the actual news article that ran? It was: "Man held in series of Central Brevard robberies."

Most people only read newspaper headlines. The vast majority of that newspaper's readers never found out that an armed homeowner had held this violent career criminal at gunpoint until police could arrive.

And let's not forget that there is no police report and no newspaper article when a victim having a gun prevents any crime from happening. I personally know of at least 1 crime that was prevented by my having a handgun (with a concealed weapons permit), when my house was broken into by a juvenile delinquent who lived down the street. He boasted of his take to the neighborhood kids, who told us. When my spouse told them to spread the word that we both carried handguns and sometimes got home from work early, and would not hesitate to shoot ANYONE we found breaking into our house, we were never victimized again--although many other houses were, and most of them were broken into more than once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
dot-dot-dot can be used systematically to enact linguistic politeness, for instance indicating topic change or hesitation
At any rate, an alleged misuse of ellipses is hardly the elementary sort of mistake I had just pointed out
Funny how you misspelled "ellipses" but used the wiki definition..

Of course, unless you are talking about math?

Quote:
I think guns are just fine, but people should demonstrate higher intelligence and/or maturity than I've seen thus far on this thread, before being permitted to carry one.

And you are basing your opinion on this thread alone....typical leftist....

Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Funny how you misspelled "ellipses" but used the wiki definition..

Of course, unless you are talking about math?
I didn't misspell a thing. "Ellipses" is the plural form of the word "ellipsis", whether you are talking about math or grammar. Stop digging already. Also, a proper ellipsis contains three periods.

Ellipsis - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Ellipses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I think guns are just fine, but people should demonstrate higher intelligence and/or maturity than I've seen thus far on this thread, before being permitted to carry one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And you are basing your opinion on this thread alone....typical leftist....
What opinion are you referring to? All I said about guns in general was, "I think guns are just fine". How am I a "leftist" for saying that?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
it is a universal truth, proven by research that people who fear simple implements are also grammar nazis. they can also be found dialing 911 when they only have seconds. what would you call someone such as this?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 PM

I have no problem with guns, just with people who can't agree to some very commonsense guidelines concerning who should be able to own them. Yes, I think IQ and maturity level are important. For example, if someone writes a paragraph in political discussion/debate in which they can't capitalize or spell words as well as a third grader, they should put off gun ownership for a bit.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
here we have the archetypal and tragically misguided I know better person. there is no such thing as a common sense guideline on any issue. common sense is actually lacking in most humanity. exhibit a are those such as......well......people who advocate common sense guidelines. if common sense ran someone such as one like you, over it wouldn't leave a mark.

the country is in a shambles today because of the results of the unintended consequences of "common sense" legislation which have completely eroded our civil rights. were a founder of the republic to find himself living in your current "common sense" reality that person would surely immediately agitate for revolution.

the sad reality is you lack any sense at all. sensibility is anything but common. thanks for helping in animating my point.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
In all honesty, I do not understand why people get so upset over bad grammar on message boards? It is an informal exchange of ideas. Most times that I post on here, its during a quick time I ahve some free time via my cellphone.

As for this post, I do not know NRA numbers, whatever numbers of these cases, I have seen posts on this board, just pointing out the "bads" of firearms, acting like there are never any goods. Recently I noticed some interesting stories so I thought I would share.

As for the topic of not budging on guns. I am perfectly accepting of full overhaul of gun control laws. I am against dumbass politicians making half cocked laws without reviewing them or thinking logically just so they can boost their political name and ride the wave of tragedy behind the event. Also gun laws are never repealed, just more and more restrictions. I'd be in for a compromise, but some of the dumbass laws created recently, want nothing to do with any of it until they come out with at least a plan.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
here we have the archetypal and tragically misguided I know better person. there is no such thing as a common sense guideline on any issue. common sense is actually lacking in most humanity. exhibit a are those such as......well......people who advocate common sense guidelines. if common sense ran someone such as one like you, over it wouldn't leave a mark.

the country is in a shambles today because of the results of the unintended consequences of "common sense" legislation which have completely eroded our civil rights. were a founder of the republic to find himself living in your current "common sense" reality that person would surely immediately agitate for revolution.

the sad reality is you lack any sense at all. sensibility is anything but common. thanks for helping in animating my point.
Did you have a point? Did you even address the general notion of IQ and maturity level being important when it comes to allowing someone to own a firearm? No, you didn't. You just rambled a while about how "there is no such thing as a common sense guideline" (a sad commentary for this nation in its own right). I believe "You should have at least the IQ and maturity level of a third grader before owning a weapon" is commonsense; but there seems to be resistence to even this idea.

No wonder more serious gun control legislation has so much trouble. It seems that its opposition believes the requirements for gun ownership should be "At least 6 fingers all total?... Yep, here's your weapon!"

Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We seem to have more "armed" bad guys than other countries.Ever notice that?
That's what the NRA gun lobby and their followers want, though. They love the idea of running gun battles in the streets and wild west type vigilantism. The more bad guys with guns to fight, the better. More opportunities for violence and death = even more gun sales and profit.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That's what the NRA gun lobby and their followers want, though. They love the idea of running gun battles in the streets and wild west type vigilantism. The more bad guys with guns to fight, the better. More opportunities for violence and death = even more gun sales and profit.
It that is true, than the NRA is doing something wrong, because gun violence has dropped dramatically in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies