Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
No reenactment of the running part.
OMG! Somebody tell this fool to shut up. I've never seen a murder suspect doing a reenactment before the trial. Basically, he just took the stand and testified. I wonder why his lawyers aren't present. Once he opens his mouth, his lawyers can't change what he says. All it takes is one inconsistency in his story, and he's screwed. The burden of proof lies on the prosecutors to prove their case, not the defendant. There's no way his lawyers would agree to this. He just showed his hand.

He who represents himself has a fool for a client ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I hope he takes the stand.

If he does, he'll probably end up being the prosecution's best witness.
They will try to keep him off of the stand because of that, but he may insist.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

Judging by this map, there are 2 (TWO) streets: Twin Trees and Retreat View Circle. Yet Zimmerman, who has been "patrolling" the complex for months can't tell the dispatcher what road he's on? Wonder how many temazepam it takes to get a body that stoned?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
OMG! Somebody tell this fool to shut up. I've never seen a murder suspect doing a reenactment before the trial. Basically, he just took the stand and testified. I wonder why his lawyers aren't present. Once he opens his mouth, his lawyers can't change what he says. All it takes is one inconsistency in his story, and he's screwed. The burden of proof lies on the prosecutors to prove their case, not the defendant. There's no way his lawyers would agree to this. He just showed his hand.

He who represents himself has a fool for a client ~ Abraham Lincoln

Big Daddy has been keeping George out of trouble for years...he had no reason to believe that this case would turn out differently than any of the previous charges against him. As FF5000 noted, Martin had been 17 for two whole weeks, and in the interrogation Det. Serino refers to Trayvon Martin as a "child."
I think that's what sticks in so many of our craws...just a kid walking home from the 7-11 at the half-time of the NBA All Star game. It's a senseless tragedy. I have nothing but pity for people who would demonize this kid because they're afraid that gun laws will be overturned or simply because they hate anyone who's "other." SMH.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Judging by this map, there are 2 (TWO) streets: Twin Trees and Retreat View Circle. Yet Zimmerman, who has been "patrolling" the complex for months can't tell the dispatcher what road he's on? Wonder how many temazepam it takes to get a body that stoned?
This is what baffles me - how Zimmerman supporters dismiss that as no big deal.

Zimmerman, according to a letter that was sent out to the residents of the complex, the "go to" guy for neighborhood watch issues and he can't even name one of the streets in the entire complex accurately?

As near as I could tell, there are only four streets in the entire complex! Four streets!

That alone doesn't add up to me - that says that something else was going on (drugs and/or alcohol) or he was purposely trying to delay law enforcement, to buy a little time, so that HE could be the one to confront the suspicious kid in the hoodie.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
As FF5000 noted, Martin had been 17 for two whole weeks, and in the interrogation Det. Serino refers to Trayvon Martin as a "child."
I think that's what sticks in so many of our craws...just a kid walking home from the 7-11 at the half-time of the NBA All Star game. It's a senseless tragedy.
And this is why I intentionally try to separate the fact that Zimmerman is an adult and that Trayvon was a child when this happened by referring to Zimmerman as the more grown up "Zimmerman" and Trayvon as the more childish "Trayvon" - because Zimmerman WAS the adult in this confrontation and Trayvon WAS still a child - despite the bluster and the posturing and the bravado.

He was just a kid who probably really felt like he was in a flight or fight situation, and when the flight didn't work, that his only other recourse was to fight.

Zimmerman had what? A ten year (eleven?) advantage (supposedly) in terms of emotional maturity over Trayvon.

Could Trayvon have made other choices? Perhaps. But none of know what was going on in his immature mind in those final moments - the very real fear he may have been feeling.

And, let's face it, teenage boys aren't always known for having the best judgement - hence the higher vehicle insurance rates for that demographic.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Zimmerman, according to a letter that was sent out to the residents of the complex, the "go to" guy for neighborhood watch issues and he can't even name one of the streets in the entire complex accurately?

As near as I could tell, there are only four streets in the entire complex! Four streets!

That alone doesn't add up to me - that says that something else was going on (drugs and/or alcohol) or he was purposely trying to delay law enforcement, to buy a little time, so that HE could be the one to confront the suspicious kid in the hoodie.

I see only two roads; Retreat View Circle encircles the complex, and Twin Trees is the entrance road that seems to go straight in. Oregon Ave. isn't part of the complex. How could Zimmerman NOT know exactly what road he was on? As for swallowing Zimmerman's lies, didn't that pesky Jesus guy say something about people who are able to swallow a camel but strain at swallowing a gnat? Seems appropriate.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Interesting. In Part 2 GZ claimed he shot TM (mind you he shot him through the heart point blank) and TM sat up, put his hands up, talked to GZ ("you got me, you got it") then GZ somehow got TM off of him, rolled TM over until he was face down, sat on him and moved TMs arms apart (outwards) to "restrain" him, yet when the police arrived Officer Smith observed and noted that TMs hands were under his body. Was TM really capable of sitting up, have enough life left in him to talk to GZ and energy to resist GZ that GZ had to "restrain" TM and ask someone to help restrain TM?

It seems that GZ used "I don't remember" and "I think" a few too many times in the re-enactment videos and the only thing he is sure about is that he shot TM.

Quote:
Officer Ayala was second to arrive at the scene and observed that Trayvon's body was face down with his hands under his body. Trayvon had to be turned over if , as stated by responding officers, he was given CPR.

Officer Smith, [first to arrive on the scene] having made note of Zimmerman's injuries, made no contact with with the "subject laying on the ground," Officer Ayala, apparently not being aware of officer SMith's observatons of Zimmerman's injuries, did not make an attempt to observe and protect incidental evidence on Martin's
body...including the hands.
Trayvon Martin: The Body of Evidence! - Democratic Underground

From Ayala’s statement:
“I then noticed that there was, what appeared to be a black male, wearing a gray sweater, blue jeans, and white-red sneakers laying face down on the ground. The black male had his hands underneath his body. I attempted to get a response from the black male, but was met with negative results. At that time Sgt. Raimondo arrived and attempted to get a pulse on the black male but none was found. At that time, Sgt. Raimondo and I turned the black male over and began CPR . .

Trayvon Martin, question 1: Why were his hands underneath his body? | Margie Burns

Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:

I read somewhere that Zimmerman had lived in the complex for 3 years. And still didn't know the name of the streets?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I read somewhere that Zimmerman had lived in the complex for 3 years. And still didn't know the name of the streets?
He should have carried a map with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies