Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba juneau View Post
That is all fair commentary. The extreme fault is the seemed insinuation that if Z didn't have some brain running out one ear he didn't have the reason to believe his life was in danger and no right to try to be the victor! I hope I never face it, I hope I'm prepared if I ever do, an old saying, "an old man won't fight you he will kill you". For my part and for both me and mine. I conceal carry, I walk the line,I mind my own business, I have no animus against man nor beast. If you attack me I hope I can deter you, however, I am a more selective shot long range than short range. To pretend this young man had no responsibility for the decisions that brought about his death is political not rational. We all have a right indeed a responsibility to be curious about what goes on in our neighborhoods. I would say a duty! I don't know, you don't know, and likely we may never know who stepped across the line. I would hate like hell to be going through what Z is going through, so generally I would avoid any altercation I could. I would however have defended myself as Z did, given the opportunity. A damn shame no doubt, however I will take hundred bucks and offer two to one, Z walks. For all the reasons I've stated and more but we can't bring those up...what malarkey!
Your racial biases are so obvious. You are so obsessed with this idiot vigilante that you don't realize that Trayvon had a right to carry Skittles and not be harassed. Why don't you value his life and his rights? I think the answer is painfully obvious.......

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba juneau View Post
[snip]I will take hundred bucks and offer two to one, Z walks. For all the reasons I've stated and more but we can't bring those up...what malarkey!
If we were allowed to use this forum for betting and I trusted you to pay, I'd take the bet. You think 6 jurors will agree to let gz walk ? With this judge, protests outside the courtroom, the pretrial publicity, the racial overtones, the ambiguous evidence. A not guilty verdict would be a bigger upset than Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
There is no evidence Trayvon said that to Zimmerman.
I agree.
Those defending Zimmerman You are forgetting that no one can substantiate the so called story by Zimmerman. And, we all know how honest Zimmerman has been.

Logically, if anyone was "standing his ground", it was the person being stalked by an armed gunman. That person was Trayvon.

IMO Trayvon was fearing for his life, it wasn't George being pursued by an armed vigilante, it was Trayvon.

I have listened to the 911 call. I am convinced it was Trayvon screaming for help. Logic would tell you, if George was that afraid of confrontation, since we know now Trayvon was unarmed...George would have remained in his truck as directed by the 911 operator. One must question George's thinking, and his motivation because of his actions.

We can all speculate...This is a polarizing situation. The bottom line is a teen was shot and killed after having been pursued by an armed man while the teen was walking home from a trip to a convenience store at 7pm. I find this situation ludicrious.

Defending the actions of Zimmerman, his actions of first following a teen with his truck, then his pursuing this teen into a housing walkway, not a city sidewalk, on foot....therefore escalating and causing this confrontation is ludicrous. George is completely culpable for everything that happened, and it resulted in a teen being shot and killed at George's hand.

I hope there is a fair trial.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
99% of the arguments in these threads, including those given by the self-proclaimed experts, would be 180 if Trayvon had been white and Zimm had been black.

/just sayin'.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
From a New Mexico paper this morning, written by a formal federal prosecutor who has reviewed the evidence and police reports:

Quote:
In the immediate aftermath of Martin’s death in February 2012, the media portrayed Zimmerman as a gun-crazy vigilante who stalked and murdered a harmless black youth. Since then, Mark O’Mara, Zimmerman’s tenacious lawyer, has extracted bits and pieces of evidence from an ethically challenged prosecution that prove Zimmerman shot Martin in self-defense. So, at long last, the media’s false narrative is about to collide with the hard facts in a court of law.

All of this evidence makes clear that Zimmerman should never have been arrested. That he must now stand trial for second-degree murder is a sad reflection of the prosecution’s cowardice in the face of media-spawned hysteria.
» Impartial Zimmerman jury must defy the lynch-mob frenzy | ABQ Journal

For anyone interested in actual facts, he walks through the police reports, witness statements, autopsy, etc. He uses the evidence released by the prosecution, not speculation. It also includes answers to things that have been asked in the thread, for instance, he noted that one police report said the back of Zimmerman's jacket was wet and covered in grass. This should appeal to people interested in the facts, so I fully expect most people in the thread to ignore it.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
From a New Mexico paper this morning, written by a formal federal prosecutor who has reviewed the evidence and police reports:

For anyone interested in actual facts, he walks through the police reports, witness statements, autopsy, etc. He uses the evidence released by the prosecution, not speculation. It also includes answers to things that have been asked in the thread, for instance, he noted that one police report said the back of Zimmerman's jacket was wet and covered in grass. This should appeal to people interested in the facts, so I fully expect most people in the thread to ignore it.
The opinions of this man, so far, seem very biased to me. First of all, Zimmerman did not call the 911 operator....he called a non-emergency number for the police and was talking to a dispatcher. I mean if you're going to analyze "facts," it's important to be accurate. Also, has this man never heard of cell phones? I mean, you know, you can take your cell phone with you if you're getting out of your car to follow someone, so could Zimmerman have been doing the two things at one time? I think soooo.

The 911 calls which were the subject of the hearing Friday and Saturday, were 911 calls made to the 911 emergency number by NEIGHBORS who were hearing the loud voices, the screams, and the gunshot. TWO different things.....the 911 calls and George Zimmerman's call into the "backdoor" non-emergency phone number he had for the police. Also, seems this man is not taking into consideration that for some reason Zimmerman didn't specifically give the police his location......Not that his intent was necessarily to murder TM but, IMO, more likely that he wanted the opportunity to "save the day" by "catching a criminal"...

Below is either the first or second paragraph from your link:

"Let’s start with the tape of Zimmerman’s 911 call to police. Unlike the deceptively spliced and edited snippets broadcast on television news, the full, undoctored tape proves that, at the time he was supposedly hunting down his intended victim, Zimmerman was asking 911 to send a police officer to his location to investigate Martin’s suspicious behavior. If Zimmerman was intending murder, why would he first alert the police and invite them to the scene of the crime"?

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 06-09-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Here's another quote from your (Brentwoodgirl) opinion piece link:

"According to the autopsy report and the prosecution’s forensic analysts, death was caused by a single shot fired from a gun that was either in contact with or no more than one inch away from Martin’s hoodie."

Geeezzzus! Obviously this man did not even READ the autopsy report!!! The ME reported that the distance from gun to wound was between 2 inches and 18 inches.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM

L. George Parry, the author of the linked opinion piece, is now a defense attorney. He was an assistant district attorney (prosecutor) in Philadelphia from 1978 to 1983......he now is a partner in a law firm which lists "criminal defense" as one area of practice of the firm. Seems like his opinions would go a long way in attracting people who want to hire a criminal defense lawyer. His bias in that piece is so totally in your face!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:04 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Zimmerman is going to have to put up with and overcome the non stop protestors outside the courtroom during this trial. His supporters have jobs and can't hang around outside of a courthouse all day so this isn't going to be a fair "protest".

Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Damn it you are right! How dare those black people have the nerve to go to the store without their papers!

Are you really that obtuse? This is not just about some numnut shooting and killing an innocent black kid, but the audacity to do it without any repercussion from the legal system. If trayvon would have been White, Latino or Asian you would find that the same people that are posting now would still be posting the same thing regardless who the shooter was. Anyone that has read the majority of these posts and listen to zimmerman continous lies know that he is guilty of at min. manslaughter and at most 2nd degree murder except those who feel that a child's life (and in some cases a black child's life) is not worth a damn.

Since you want to paint a racial picture on this, picture A blackman killing a white teenager I bet dimes to a doughnut that you and your friends would be at the courthouse the day that it happened demanding justice. Especially if they let the blackman walk out without any investigation based solely on his word alone. So don't come on here like you really care if zimmerman was really defending himself or not, because go ahead and tell the truth you really don't care if he did or not!
Why does there need to be "repercussions" if it was self defense? Nothing has been proven yet except they were both there.
By saying what you've been saying from the start it's evident that you've convicted him, no need for a trial. Weren't you over in the "sandbox" as a member of a group who's job it is to protect our rights? Then why so eager to toss a primary one out the window? Because it fits YOUR idea of what happened based on dribs and drabs many of which are spun to make points?

As for the second bold, to some people black is worth more than anything else as shown on this thread repeatedly. If anything negative happens to a black person, well it's certainly due to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies