Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Maybe, but it's questionable whether or not he had a life.

Seems like he went out and got hisself one.
lol...good gallows humor.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The 911 call is hotly disputed, it will be interesting, if it is allowed in...as each side claims to have "experts" saying that the calls made for help, prosecution, states Martin called for help. Defense, states the calls were made by Zimmerman. If there is no consensus, how can this even be allowed into evidence?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Zimmerman is going to have to put up with and overcome the non stop protestors outside the courtroom during this trial. His supporters have jobs and can't hang around outside of a courthouse all day so this isn't going to be a fair "protest".
And WHERE did you get this information that there are going to be non-stop-protests around the courthouse in Sanford for this trial? Got a link to any organizational plans for such a thing? Or is it just part of your very vivid imagination?

IF there are any "protestors," my guess is that the majority will be Zimmerman supporters. And the remainder will just be this new breed of court watchers as a reality show, hoping to be interviewed by ANY news organization. I was stunned when I saw those women crying at the Jodie Arias sentencing phase trial when the jury couldn't come to an agreement to recommend death! I think those folks are nuts and must really have no life at all.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The 911 call is hotly disputed, it will be interesting, if it is allowed in...as each side claims to have "experts" saying that the calls made for help, prosecution, states Martin called for help. Defense, states the calls were made by Zimmerman. If there is no consensus, how can this even be allowed into evidence?
Credibility of the experts.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You're right. Nothing has been proven yet. That means that "self-defense" has not been proven. Whether or not he killed Martin in self-defense is a DISPUTED FACT at this point. That's why there's going to be a trial. The State claims one thing, and the defense claims something different. Disputed fact.
I think that's what fries my bacon the most about this whole thing, guilt and innocence being stated as fact before the trial even starts.
If there were video/audio that showed everything that happened from start to finish that'd be one thing but all conjecture with a couple minor witnesses that've not been fully heard from?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Yesterday carolac made a very informative post in re Frey hearing standards and Daubert guidelines which is central to whether or not that "evidence" will be allowed. It's not really about a consensus; it's about what the judge rules. And of course, her ruling can be appealed.

I googled those two things, and learned that the Daubert guidelines is part of the Federal Rules of Evidence, yet this is a State court case. The tricky thing is that Florida's legislature has recently voted to adopt the Daubert guidelines, however, that law does not become effective until July 1, when the Governor signs the bill. So the standards will change right in the middle of the trial, if I'm understanding what I read correctly.

You can google Frey hearings and Daubert guidelines and get an explanation of what they mean and see how they apply to this issue of whether or not the 911 audio is or will be admissible.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
From now on, whenever I see one of that poster's blanket assessments of what any of us think, or what we will or won't do in the future, I think I'll just post that picture without comment.

(With my apologies to the late, great Johnny Carson.)
I was going to ask why you're dragging a great comic routine into this pit, thanks for explaining

Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think that's what fries my bacon the most about this whole thing, guilt and innocence being stated as fact before the trial even starts.
If there were video/audio that showed everything that happened from start to finish that'd be one thing but all conjecture with a couple minor witnesses that've not been fully heard from?
Well, seems that some are posting their opinions as absolute fact, but others are saying "what if" based on their personal investigations of the information which is out there in the public. I'm impressed with how much personal investigation people have done into the information out in the public, via the documents filed in the Court Clerks file in discovery, and other sources, and I think some people have done a really outstanding job of sorting out details.

I have an opinion now about guilt/not guilty, yet I just don't KNOW what I'm going to think AFTER I've heard the State's case, and then, of course the whole trial. I'm fairly sure of one thing......I think there will be surprises, maybe from the State or maybe from the Defense.

And, of course, as I said, as of right now, whether or not Zimmerman acted in self-defense is a disputed fact. That's what the trial is all about. So you can't just state that he acted in self-defense because that's what's believed by many, because the jury has not made that determination yet.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
The question isn't whether the 911 calls are admissible as evidence (of course 911 calls are admissable) but whether 'experts' can determine who was calling for help. There were a few 911 calls. One 911 caller (the one where you can hear "I'm begging you") says she heard a long argument and raised voices before she called 911. This contradicts (one of) Zimmerman's stories that he did not respond to Martin and was immediately sucker punched and fell to the ground - ~50 ft from where Martin's body was found.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I was going to ask why you're dragging a great comic routine into this pit, thanks for explaining
Now you know the "code."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies