Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
"Neighborhood watches are not vigilante organizations. When suspecting criminal activities, members are encouraged to contact authorities and not to intervene."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhood_watch
Maybe not in YOUR experience, most that I've been around are staffed with at least a few.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My neighborhood doesn't need watching.

No, no, no and no. I also don't believe that Zimmerman should not have been entrusted with a gun or the quasi-law enforcement power he felt he possessed.

Where I live, nobody really carries. We're not allowed to, basically.
Wow, that's really,really sad. I'm sorry.
Is it because you live with your parents or that the nanny state you live in doesn't allow it?
Maybe you should think about going somewhere that allows one to take care of and protect oneself?
Just wondering.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You really are dense aren't you.

Do you understand that if you ban guns, only people who follow laws will not have access to them.

CRIMINALS WILL STILL HAVE THEM AND USE THEM

Crime is illegal, such as MURDER, DRUGS.... WE STILL HAVE THOSE

I think we should ban idiots who don't understand that limiting people's right to self defense will actually make it safer to be a criminal.

Hell, capital murder is punishable by DEATH in many states and life in others. Does that reduce it? Nope! People still kill others like todays report of a lady who stabbed a guy with a stiletto (and it wasn't a knife).
You could hang criminals in the public square and it wouldn't deter 'em. With that being the case why should it be made easier for 'em to do it.
Look at the U.K., no guns and what happens? A soldier is HACKED to death in the street. I wonder if that would've happened had they allowed concealed carry there?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Because without the faux race card this trial loses all of it's luster. The NAACP isn't going to show up to defend a black guy shot by a Hispanic guy that got attacked.
Nor are all the revolutionistas, the Rev's Al "Tawana Brawley" Sharpton and Jesse "the extorter" Jackson who need to perform for the news attempting to stay relevant.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Weird, the mentality of those who think they need to carry wherever they go..........

I'm a 58-year-old woman who has lived her entire adult life in the "country," and for the last almost eighteen years, as a single parent.

I have never been afraid or paranoid to where I felt I had to arm myself.

Where I used to live, I had a big coyote problem and I kept a shotgun to try to protect my animals. But, since I couldn't keep it loaded because of having kids in the home, by the time I found the shells and got it loaded, the coyote had usually managed to grab its prize and disappeared. They usually came at night, anyway; I can remember only two times when I managed to get a shot off and missed both times (although I think I came close enough once to make the coyote reconsider doing its grocery shopping at my place lol).

Since we moved up here, for some reason, even though I can hear coyotes all around me, they have never been a problem; the only problems I've had have been some spring time raids by raccoons and a short term problem from some night time feathered predator.

So, when one of my sons moved out, he asked if he could have the shotgun and I said "yes."

That same son has quite a collection of guns and has a CCW permit........but he isn't weird about it. He never "carries" - except once in a while when he goes fishing and he usually "carries" when he goes camping. I'm pretty sure it would never occur to him that he should "carry" when he goes grocery shopping or to a movie or to a concert.

But then, I believe he is a responsible, reasonable, and rational gun owner - not a weird and paranoid one. I actually believe that many of those who are so obsessive about carrying hope for an opportunity to prove their meddle - probably much like Zimmerman.

I don't lock my doors, I leave the keys in my vehicle, I have very few neighbors, and the back of my property borders on miles and miles of national forest - and I go to bed every night and never give the boogy men that so many of the posters here fear a second thought.
We used to be that way in Montana UNTIL civilization figured out where we were and brought their meth,pot,coke.oxycontin and other habits out there with them.
Then there were the bears, wolves and other 4 legged predators one had to watch out for so we carried more often than not.
I'd say you've been real lucky.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
I have no problem with this trial taking place and I don't believe there shouldn't have been an investigation, I don't however support the media turning this into a race based case which it is not and was not until the typical race pimps showed up.
The moment that the police let zimmerman "walk" based upon his word alone made it a "race based issue". I don't know if you are aware of the history of this country as it pertains to blacks, but this is so familiar to what has happened to many young blackmen who have been killed and justice was a word that was never heard. This case is basically no difference than when Emmitt Till was killed and no was arrested, but yet people like yourself have the audacity to be offended when the covers are thrown off to expose an obvious wrong. Those "race pimps" as you so affectionately call them were called by the Martin family because the police was stonewalling them regarding the events that happened that night. I guess that it would have been fine with you if no one knew about this possible travasty of justice.

Please explain why is it that whenever something of this magnitude happens to a black person and they want the same justice that is afforded to everyone else it is always frowned upon those who rather keep it undercover? Now I can't say for sure what were zimmerman's motive for following him in the first place if it was racial or not but the lack of proper procedures by the police dept and the subsequential released of zimmerman based on his word after killing someone who happens to be black can be looked at a being a racial incident. I say this mainly because of the history of marginalizing a black life to the point that they felt that an investigation would not be necessary. I also want to add the racist who decide lie and soil the name of a dead child and at the same time totally ignore the criminal and medication past of zimmerman.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
While I partially agree with you, Zimmerman was prepared enough to handle his weapon correctly in a very stressful situation. I'm sure he was scared out of his mind, otherwise he wouldn't have shot Trayvon.
If he was so freaking scared he should not have followed him in the first place! For some people give them a gun and they think that they are invincible. I bet if he did not have that gun on him he would not have followed him

Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Convicted, Zimmerman has dug his own grave after murdering an innocent teen.
You had better do your research, that teen was anything but innocent. In fact, he was on suspension from school if my memory serves me right.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
If he was so freaking scared he should not have followed him in the first place! For some people give them a gun and they think that they are invincible. I bet if he did not have that gun on him he would not have followed him
Zimmerman is stupid.

If he hadn't a gun, he might have pretended he had one.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
I find it oh so very convenient that the Zimmerman supporters skim over his domestic violence arrest.

Zimmerman accused of domestic violence, fighting with a police officer - U.S. News

and his assaulting a police officer arrest....

Arrest records shine a little light on Zimmerman - CBS News

Flunked his criminal justice classes...

Records show George Zimmerman got D’s in criminal justice classes - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com

So why was the wife beating, police assaulting, flunky lunatic allowed access to firearms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies