Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,355,644 times

Advertisements

A hair shy of 2/3rds of the people, think Zimmerman is not guilty of murder.

That 1/3rd is what we have to fear in society.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,465,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I doubt it. This judges bias is hamstringing Zimmerman's defense. Does this judge have some reason to disallow evidence crucial to Zimmerman's case? Such as, Martin's known penchant for fighting (he was an expert in MMA)? He had been suspended from school repeatedly for fighting, and one time for being in possesion of the tools of burglary. This fact is important because the area that Zimmerman had been patrolling had been experiencing multiple break-ins. That is the reason that Martin raised Zimmerman's suspicion.

No, I doubt I'll be surprised. I think it's clear that this trial is going to do just what the MSM has been doing all along. Martin will be portrayed as an innocent young man just out for "snacks" with no history of violence or bad behavior.

Zimmerman will be portrayed as a "hot head," and shown to be the agressor, even though Zimmerman had already notified the police that he was observing Martin, and was expecting their arrival at any moment. Does that even make sense?

"Over my head?" Why the smart assed remark? Are you incapable of civil discourse? Such comments reduce your credibility to zero. You invite criticism of yourself.
Since gz did not know any of those things about tm, the defense won't be allowed to mention them during opening statements. However, if they become relevant during the trial, the judge might allow them. imo, the fighting, some texts, and drug use have a good chance of being very relevant. Whether the judge allows them, who knows. She might as you suggest, be biased and figure she's better off going with the state on everything. Let the conviction go to an appeals court

The burglary won't be allowed because it was a screwdriver, there's no evidence the jewelry was part of any burglary.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Since gz did not know any of those things about tm, the defense won't be allowed to mention them during opening statements. However, if they become relevant during the trial, the judge might allow them. imo, the fighting, some texts, and drug use have a good chance of being very relevant. Whether the judge allows them, who knows. She might as you suggest, be biased and figure she's better off going with the state on everything. Let the conviction go to an appeals court

The burglary won't be allowed because it was a screwdriver, there's no evidence the jewelry was part of any burglary.

All the neighborhood burglaries stopped that day..... I love coincidences.
Not saying it means anything, it just makes you go, hmmm?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,381,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, of course. Not sure what side is dumber in this debate. The fact is Zimmerman was a stupid idiot and unfortunately for those who wish to imprison him that ain't no crime. In Florida an idiot with a gun can provoke someone and then shoot them dead when they assault him.
And THIS case may very well CHANGE the way the Florida law is interpreted. That's why it's so important. If convicted, there will be an appeal, and that's where laws get "interpreted."

Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All the neighborhood burglaries stopped that day..... I love coincidences.
Not saying it means anything, it just makes you go, hmmm?
Well, do you think it would be very smart (and even the dumbest burglars would know this) to continue to burglarize a community where someone had been shot and killed just walking through it, plus all the FOCUS on that neighborhood by police and media???

It's no coincidence at all that the burglaries stopped (if they did). Even idiots know better than to select a location like that!!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I doubt it. This judges bias is hamstringing Zimmerman's defense. Does this judge have some reason to disallow evidence crucial to Zimmerman's case? Such as, Martin's known penchant for fighting (he was an expert in MMA)? He had been suspended from school repeatedly for fighting, and one time for being in possesion of the tools of burglary. This fact is important because the area that Zimmerman had been patrolling had been experiencing multiple break-ins. That is the reason that Martin raised Zimmerman's suspicion.

No, I doubt I'll be surprised. I think it's clear that this trial is going to do just what the MSM has been doing all along. Martin will be portrayed as an innocent young man just out for "snacks" with no history of violence or bad behavior.

Zimmerman will be portrayed as a "hot head," and shown to be the agressor, even though Zimmerman had already notified the police that he was observing Martin, and was expecting their arrival at any moment. Does that even make sense?

"Over my head?" Why the smart assed remark? Are you incapable of civil discourse? Such comments reduce your credibility to zero. You invite criticism of yourself.
Sorry, but your "beliefs" which you recite in your first paragraph are just incorrect. Yes, the Judge does have legal reasons for "disallowing" the things she ruled against in the hearing. And those reasons are based on the law and the Criminal Rules of Evidence.

"Over your head" was not a "smart assed" remark. Based on reading your posts, it seems to me that you really do not understand how trials work......in fact you seem to not understand that there are laws and rules of evidence by which the Judge and attorneys must abide. The JUDGE rules on questions which are governed by the RULES OF EVIDENCE. This is not "crooked." It's the way the system was designed and the way it works, and IMO, it's the best system in the world. So, when I say that it may be over your head, what I'm saying is that you may be unlikely to understand Court rulings throughout the trial in relation to what evidence is presented to the jury and what evidence is not presented.

AGAIN, I think you are likely to be very shocked regarding what evidence is presented, a bit confused about why some things were not permitted, a bit confused by Court rulings, and a bit confused by the Jury Charge which the judge gives the jury before they go out to deliberate. This trial is a legal proceeding, not a neighborhood squabble where anything and EVERYTHING gets thrown out there.

Don't forget that Zimmerman has filed an affirmative defense of self defense. That means he (his legal team) will put on their own witnesses regarding self defense. Zimmerman may actually INSIST on testifying himself, overriding any advice from his lawyers that it might not be a good idea.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,876,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, yes it does negate what you said! You said one wouldn't prescribe stimulants for ADD. These meds are stimulants for the central nervous system. Do read the link.

The combination of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine is used as part of a treatment program to control symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD; more difficulty focusing, controlling actions, and remaining still or quiet than other people who are the same age) in adults and children. Dextroamphetamine and amphetamine tablets are also used to treat narcolepsy (a sleep disorder that causes excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden attacks of sleep). The combination of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine is in a class of medications called central nervous system stimulants. It works by changing the amounts of certain natural substances in the brain.

Who'd I insult? George made himself a pubic figure when he pulled the trigger.
No, what I said was "Think about it a minute, why would you give somebody who's already hyper something that'd make him more hyper?".

I also prefaced it with the fact that stimulants react the exact opposite on people who have ADD. Please try and slow down when you read so you can absorb what's written.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,876,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Are you saying the the opposite effect of speed for someone who is mentally speeded is WEIGHT GAIN?

Speed doesn't make anyone fat - twinkies do!
New study just came out stating that people with ADHD tend to be obese.

Men who were diagnosed with ADHD as children are more likely to be obese in adulthood, according to a new study.

ADHD In Childhood May Feed Obesity In Adults : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No, what I said was "Think about it a minute, why would you give somebody who's already hyper something that'd make him more hyper?".

I also prefaced it with the fact that stimulants react the exact opposite on people who have ADD. Please try and slow down when you read so you can absorb what's written.
ADD drugs are stimulants. Deal.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,756,000 times
Quote:

I have yet to read anywhere that TM was an "expert in MMA". The eye witness said it looked like he was using MMA - the eye witness did not know for a fact. Have you ever seen kids mimic martial arts based on what the saw on the television or in a movie, yet they don't have a clue about martial arts? If someone takes what can be construed as a martial arts position, does that mean they are an expert?

Florida law on character evidence (which is what the defense wanted to prove with the photos and texts:

^ Pino v. Koelber, 389 So. 2d 1191, 1193 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1980), citing 1 S. Gard, Jones on Evidence §4:34 (6th ed. 1972) and McCormick on Evidence § 188 (2d ed. 1972): "When a person's character is an essential element in the case, evidence of his character is always admissible because it is in issue. On the other hand, evidence of one's character which is offered only as tending to prove the probability that he acted in a manner consistent with that character on a particular occasion is generally inadmissible."

Character evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The judge made his decision based on the fact that there is no evidence, or is it known, nor is there any record that TM ever acted in a manner consistent with his character under similar circumstances. Photos and texts are irrelevant to TMs character in this case.

Don't forget that it was suggested by the dispatcher that GZ not follow TM, which suggestion he ignored and proceeded to follow TM.

The trial comes down to this: what happened between the 2 minutes, give or take seconds, from the time GZ disconnected the call with the dispatcher at 7:15 PM until the police arrived at 7:17 PM - give or take a few seconds.

Take everything regarding the past history of TM and GZ out of the equation, GZs state of mind would be in question considering he was on medication and the possibility that he experienced certain side effects. You cannot determine TMs "state of mind" based on finding marijuana in his system nor can one determine if he smoked weed immediately or 6 hours preceding the incident. There is no "level" to measure, unlike alcohol where one can take an educated guess based on the alcohol level, as to one's state of mind and ability to reason and function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies