Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,005,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And you're happy about it. Unbelievable.
Not in the least bit, I'm just happy none of that BS involves me.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So do you own a gun? If so how often do you carry it to go shopping? I have never seen people walk in a large store carrying gun. Although they proably can't prove it but I bet zimmerman was not going shopping that night, he was out playing "super cop"
It is called a concealed weapon permit because the weapon must be concealed. You won't see it.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Zimmerman jumped out of his truck yelling racist obscenities. Trayvon invited him to tea the next day so he could discuss his budding astronaut career and how he was majoring in cheerfulness.

Zimmerman was enraged. He ran at Trayvon, slamming his nose into Trayvon's head, then pulling Trayvon on top of him so he could shoot him.

Zimmerman also managed to get some marijuana into Trayvon's system (and other drugs, if O'Mara's mention of the full tox scene showing other drugs at the last hearing is correct), and plant tons of drug, fight, and other incriminating texts on Trayvon's cell.

Zimmerman is a genius. Must be the focus he gets from the Adderall.

The funniest thing to me about these threads is last year people who argued for literally thousands and thousands of posts that Zimmerman wasn't injured, Trayvon didn't have a history of drugs/fighting/etc., the girlfriend was the virtue of honesty who would nail the coffin of Zimmerman's grave, etc. etc.,
A year later they are spending thousands of posts arguing that none of that stuff matters. If it didn't matter, why waste time arguing it for thousands of posts?
The flow of the 'gz wasn't injured' discussion has been funny, and predictable.

If all of a sudden we learned that a different gz had the 'past history of violence' can you imagine how quickly we'd be reading, 'There's always a 1st time.'

Though the judge stopped MOM from using stuff in openings, he at least got that stuff into the public, covered by the media, so some of the jury pool who believed the Team Martin narrative have a clearer picture of tm.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,769,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Were you THERE ???
Probably along with everyone else on C-D who actually knows what happened, along with having seen or knowing what other evidence the prosecutor and defense are keeping from the public.

Amazing. All these witnesses who seem to know exactly what happened and none of them will be testifying. Go figure.

It's one thing to come up with questions, scenarios, possibilities, but waaaaaay too many people are just so damn sure they actually know how it happened.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
How do you [Zimmerman] defend yourself against a person who's running in the opposite direction?
I'll answer with a question, how is someone running the other way when they're on top of you?

Quote:
I mention that because zimmerman was questioned about that in the begining and that was the reply that he gave. I guess to counter that he was not out looking for criminals with a loaded gun.
This may be a shock but many CWP holders carry whenever they're outside their house and some even carry when at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Look at the maps. No matter which is closest to the truth - no way Zimmerman's story can be true - that he got out of his truck just to get an address and was then attacked while heading back to his truck. Bull hockey.
How can you say "no way" when even your own map says "assumed" and "possible"? He could've been turning around to leave when confronted by T.M. or a myriad of other things.
That's the problem, only two people know what really happened.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
So do you own a gun? If so how often do you carry it to go shopping? I have never seen people walk in a large store carrying gun. Although they proably can't prove it but I bet zimmerman was not going shopping that night, he was out playing "super cop"
Then you've never lived in AZ,MT or TX. Happens all the time.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know if the 911 operator was a sworn officer or not. In any event s/he was an employee of the police department, and his/her instructions should be followed.

And here's the next few sentences:

However, if they are so threatening as to cause apprehension, they can form the basis for a lawsuit for assault, even though the words alone don't constitute an assault.

The utterance of fighting words is not protected by the free speech protections of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The words are often evaluated not only by the words themselves, but the context in which they are spoken.
So he could have sued him right? Had he followed the law he'd still be alive. Instead he chose to deal with it himself and it turned out badly for him.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Then you've never lived in AZ,MT or TX. Happens all the time.
I know several individuals who are nearly always armed. None of them ever shot anyone.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The second amendment is about a "well regulated militia". Was Z going to a milita meeting, target practice, what?
Not according to SCOTUS, unless of course you're now above them?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Of course I know what voir dire is. Why would I have used the term if I didn't know?

I'm sure you must know that each attorney gets a limited number of strikes during voir dire, and some jurors are removed "for cause." So it's not like one side gets to "pack" the jury.

There's a reason why alternates are put on juries; for exactly the reasons you saw in the Arias trial. If jurors are not following the rules, they are kicked off the jury and an alternate takes their place; also, if a juror gets sick during the trial, an alternate is used to replace that juror.

I can't imagine what you think is unfair about voir dire.

Not ALL jurors are ALWAYS straight up; however, enough of the jurors selected to be on a jury usually are honest and straight up (if for no other reason than fear of breaking the law and getting caught), which is why it would be enormously difficult to get a jury full of people who had already decided the case BEFORE they were selected. ATTORNEYS and JUDGES are pretty good at detecting dishonesty as well as people who are "too eager" to be in a jury.
Never said it was unfair did I?
Attorneys do their level best to stack the jury with people who will benefit their client be it the government or defense. Honesty or dishonesty don't play into it and if attorneys were so good they wouldn't hire companies expert in jury selection.

It seems you have this idea that the process is some grand thing that's all knowing, pink clouds and unicorns. Trials are never about the truth, they're about who can tell the best story to the jury and make 'em believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Probably along with everyone else on C-D who actually knows what happened, along with having seen or knowing what other evidence the prosecutor and defense are keeping from the public.

Amazing. All these witnesses who seem to know exactly what happened and none of them will be testifying. Go figure.

It's one thing to come up with questions, scenarios, possibilities, but waaaaaay too many people are just so damn sure they actually know how it happened.
Exactly right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.