Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
*imaginary.

The so-called "War against Christmas" is real, in that every year there's a handful of people/businesses getting into legal/financial trouble over expressions related to Christmas. I have to say, this issue is unique because it isn't an example of conservative imagination; it's actually one thing the conservatives happened to notice before the rest of us, because they care more about it. It's not a clash of reality and fiction; it's a difference in values.

It is imaginery. We have a national holiday for Christmas the whole nation celebrates.

No what the Texas legislature did is to use the government to enforce cultural and religious markers that have nothing to do with good policy, but is about the government imposing some identity on the population.

conservatives continue to drift further and further away from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud White Guy View Post
As a proud white guy, there is nothing more that makes me happy celebrating and wishing everyone a very merry white Christmas every year. The ACLU will not like this along with many liberals who have taken political correctness to extreme levels of absurdity. All states should adopt a bill like Texas.

Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill to Protect Holidays from Political Correctness

State lawmakers in Texas have passed legislation that permits public schools to display nativity scenes, menorahs, or Christmas trees, and allows students and school district staff to use greetings such as, “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah,” and “Happy Holidays.”

According to Fox News in Austin, the legislation (HB 308), introduced by Rep. Dwayne Bohac (R-Houston) and dubbed “The Merry Christmas Bill,” received overwhelming approval in the state house, by a margin of 145-2, and was passed unanimously in the state senate, 29-0. The bill will now be sent to Gov. Rick Perry (R) for his signature.

“I was a little flabbergasted and a little upset that we’ve become so politically correct that we can’t call a federal holiday by its name,” Bohac said. “Teachers have enough on their plate to worry about the school districts going to be sued or if they can call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.”
Yeah, it's flabbergasting that the right wing has become even more Reich, the guy should pinch himself.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is imaginery. We have a national holiday for Christmas the whole nation celebrates.
Yes, but with so much public expression related to the holiday being opposed in ways that involve the law, what does this matter? It's sort of a "What's Halloween without candy and haunted houses?" kind of mindset.

Quote:
No what the Texas legislature did is to use the government to enforce cultural and religious markers that have nothing to do with good policy, but is about the government imposing some identity on the population.
Nothing is being imposed here, and the only thing being enforced is a law to protect people's right to say "Merry Christmas" at Christmastime. But that's not all that's being protected by state law. In fact, thank you, you just helped me figure out why "Happy Holidays" was likely included in the list of protected greetings. It was probably to indicate to lower governments that, while Christmas-specific decor and greetings are being defended, the alternative to having anything to do with the holiday will be not discouraged. And "Happy Hanukkah" was on the list as well. You see, this is all-encompassing in terms of religion. I don't see how this imposes or even encourages a particular identity for the population. If anything, it strengthens the public's ability to choose or refuse one.

The only thing that would've made it better is if they had included "Happy Kwanzaa".

Quote:
conservatives continue to drift further and further away from reality.
On many issues, yes. On this issue, no.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People should not have to WORRY about causing a lawsuit to be filed over Christmas tree displays, or children singing songs that contain the word "Christmas," etc.

By the way, folks, the word "holiday" (as in Happy Holidays!) means "holy day." It's loaded with religious meaning.
Yes, holiday does mean "holy day" which is exactly why the whole issue is nothing but manufactured nonsense.
But hey, people seem to revel in their ignorance.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
So obnoxious to presume the religion of other strangers by wishing them Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Ramadan, Happy Scientology Spirt Molting, or whatever. If you know the person's religion, then it's fine to wish them a happy celebration thereof. If you don't, you're a presumtuous a$$.

Next time someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I'm gonna say "Salaam Aleikum" just to f-- with 'em. (I'm not Muslim either, but saying that will probably make their jaw hit the floor.)

Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yes, but with so much public expression related to the holiday being opposed in ways that involve the law, what does this matter? It's sort of a "What's Halloween without candy and haunted houses?" kind of mindset.

Nothing is being imposed here, and the only thing being enforced is a law to protect people's right to say "Merry Christmas" at Christmastime. But that's not all that's being protected by state law. In fact, thank you, you just helped me figure out why "Happy Holidays" was likely included in the list of protected greetings. It was probably to indicate to lower governments that, while Christmas-specific decor and greetings are being defended, the alternative to having anything to do with the holiday will be not discouraged. And "Happy Hanukkah" was on the list as well. You see, this is all-encompassing in terms of religion. I don't see how this imposes or even encourages a particular identity for the population. If anything, it strengthens the public's ability to choose or refuse one.

The only thing that would've made it better is if they had included "Happy Kwanzaa".

On many issues, yes. On this issue, no.

There is no opposition to xmas, the opposition comes in a difference of opinion of public government owned spaces being used to celebrate xmas. This is the debate for people who care about this issue.

conservatives are on the side of this is a Christian nation and as such, using the government to celebrate xmas is apart of the American identity.

So, yes this new law is all and only about the state government of Texas imposing an identity on the population using religious and culturals markers in the form of xmas.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
So obnoxious to presume the religion of other strangers by wishing them Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Ramadan, Happy Scientology Spirt Molting, or whatever. If you know the person's religion, then it's fine to wish them a happy celebration thereof. If you don't, you're a presumtuous a$$.

Next time someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I'm gonna say "Salaam Aleikum" just to f-- with 'em. (I'm not Muslim either, but saying that will probably make their jaw hit the floor.)
Yeah, that might be a jaw dropper to an uneducated person.

At the age of 19, and "green-wet behind the ears", I made the mistake of saying Merry Christmas to my Jewish friend, he in return said Shalom. I immediately became educated and quipped an apology, and said Shalom.
IMO, if you don't know a person/s religious beliefs, I think Happy Holidays might fit most. But, it might be best not to wish anyone anything. Seems people in Texas are the ones having the problem with being PC.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, holiday does mean "holy day" which is exactly why the whole issue is nothing but manufactured nonsense.
But hey, people seem to revel in their ignorance.
Holiday and Holy day are two different things. What ever the derivative of holiday, the meaning has changed.

Just as has "Merry Christmas". Why? because it's no longer holds a respected place in society. Why? because many[like you] want the word said... more than the sentiment kept "holy".

Placing a picture of Jesus on a school's bulletin board along side Ghandi and MLK[with all due respect to these Gentlemen] relagates Christ to a figure in "History" and not a place of reverance...just as does a generic school prayer covering everyone's sensiblities.

You, by insiting on saying Merry Christmas in every circumstance socially, have helped... most definitely, to become just a "tag line" with no more meaning of reverence than..."How are you doing".

Ignorance is non discriminatory.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I speak English and Spanish just fine. We have to take foreign languages in elementary school here. You *******s will be the one suffering at the end of the day. I'll be retired by the time it hits the fan. You *******s are the ones that granted amnesty to the illegals. You're the ones that will suffer. Why any of this has to do with Texas prioritizing PC over real issues is beyond me. But enjoy the country you made.
Umm no, you conservitards are the ones letting the illegals across. Texas is a conservitard state and has done NOTHING to stop the flow so chew on that!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
There is no opposition to xmas, the opposition comes in a difference of opinion of public government owned spaces being used to celebrate xmas. This is the debate for people who care about this issue.

conservatives are on the side of this is a Christian nation and as such, using the government to celebrate xmas is apart of the American identity.

So, yes this new law is all and only about the state government of Texas imposing an identity on the population using religious and culturals markers in the form of xmas.
So what about me? I'm neither Christian nor conservative, and I agree with this bill. What sort of agenda do you have in your bag of accusations that you can pin on me?

And you didn't address my point about how this bill also protects the greetings "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy Holidays". I find this contradicts your theory about the state government trying to impose an identity on the population, and I explained why. Any response to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies