Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope. But where I live, people are generally polite - and if they are easily offended, they tend not to be obvious about it.

I really can't relate to this well, especially the part about walking away or showing offense all over my face. A situation would have to be really bad - much more than a simple greeting from someone about a holiday - for me to get all huffy and incensed.

Maybe you live somewhere more volatile - I don't know.

"You people?" Who is "you people?"
This is rather amazing. So, you never know when people around you have been offended? How would your bank have ever known if saying those things had offended anyone? Did the offended customers write letters? Also, what were the corrective steps that were to be taken if an employee uttered these phrases to customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
This is rather amazing. So, you never know when people around you have been offended? How would your bank have ever known if saying those things had offended anyone? Did the offended customers write letters? Also, what were the corrective steps that were to be taken if an employee uttered these phrases to customers?
Quit moving the goal posts.

And answer MY question for a change. Who were you referring to when you used the term "you people?"

Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Of course it's easier to pass the Merry Christmas bill. There's no money involved.

I can't believe anyone would wonder how they got this through but haven't fixed funding.

Good for Texas. I'm happy they did this

Let the kids have fun and enjoy the season without worrying about saying the right or wrong thing.
Can you please provide some concrete examples (not the I heard, or someone said type) of a kid or anyone being told that they couldn't say merry xmas?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can you please provide some concrete examples (not the I heard, or someone said type) of a kid or anyone being told that they couldn't say merry xmas?
Try reading the bill..it's 2 pages long and a link is provided in the OP post.
It's not about individuals.

Schools are ALLOWED to have a Christmas tree and call it that.
Schools are ALLOWED to have Christmas parties and call them that.
Schools are ALLOWED to have Christmas decorations and call them that.

It's protecting the freedom of schools to call Christmas Christmas.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quit moving the goal posts.

And answer MY question for a change. Who were you referring to when you used the term "you people?"
I have moved nothing. I have argued from the outset that this is a solution to a non-problem and yet another example of politicians exploiting the ignorance of boobs who either don't know any better or are eager to cast themselves as victims. What is painfully clear is that neither at Texas public schools nor anywhere else in Texas is anyone being precluded from saying "Merry Christmas" or anything else. Because you folks realize this, you have contrived the argument that it is a necessary, preventative measure before the militant secularists take away the rights of staff and students to utter these words. I have noted how amusing it is to see the characters in this thread making this argument because they are some of the same geniuses who base their objections to gun control laws, in large part, on the fact that incidents of spree killing with guns are relatively rare and we should not base public policy on isolated incidents, much less for anticipatory purposes.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
(crickets chirping)

For their argument that they are heading off a problem before it starts to work, they must first provide evidence of it happening somewhere else, or at least evidence of a building movement for it within the state. They have none. It's clear to see this bill for what it is.

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Now I know who is in front of me in the checkout line yelling at the 16-year-old cashier over a brown spot on their lettuce...

The State of Texas

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I have moved nothing. I have argued from the outset that this is a solution to a non-problem and yet another example of politicians exploiting the ignorance of boobs who either don't know any better or are eager to cast themselves as victims. What is painfully clear is that neither at Texas public schools nor anywhere else in Texas is anyone being precluded from saying "Merry Christmas" or anything else. Because you folks realize this, you have contrived the argument that it is a necessary, preventative measure before the militant secularists take away the rights of staff and students to utter these words. I have noted how amusing it is to see the characters in this thread making this argument because they are some of the same geniuses who base their objections to gun control laws, in large part, on the fact that incidents of spree killing with guns are relatively rare and we should not base public policy on isolated incidents, much less for anticipatory purposes.
Then why does it irk you so much ?

If there is no problem, as you say then this is just a piece of paper that never needs to be called upon for enforcement.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then why does it irk you so much ?

If there is no problem, as you say then this is just a piece of paper that never needs to be called upon for enforcement.
It doesn't "irk" me. I've stated about four times that I'm amused at the boobs who get manipulated like this. It's Texas, after all. At the rate you guys are moving, you'll be mandating that all businesses close on the Sabbath before the year is out. Maybe you should introduce another anticipatory bill, banning Sharia law, because when the Islamic Fundamentalists take over, the easiest transition will be in Texas. All they'll have to do is switch saviors.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill To Protect Holidays From Political Correctness

Welp, the annual war on xmas is off to an early start in 2013.

In the spirit of the season.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies