Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes there is something being denied that is the right of those who disagree with xmas celebrations using public money and institutions and teachers using a religious holiday with their children.
When it comes to actual religious propaganda, I'm right there with you. But saying "Merry Christmas" to someone is no more a promotion of Christianity than calling Thursday by name is a promotion of Norse mythology. And if hyper-sensitive non-Christians take it some way that isn't intended, they have only themselves to blame. I don't normally join tirades against what is PC, but this is overkill. We're sucking the very life out of childhood and adolescence today, because we as selfish and agenda-driven or -fearing adults don't personally approve of something that for all the kids know has absolutely zilch to do with religion.

Now, what about Halloween? Do you believe that parents who are offended by "the meaning of Halloween" should be able to keep teachers from saying "Happy Halloween" or giving candy out in October? It's ridiculous. What about St. Patrick's Day? I'm part Irish. What if I decide that any mention of St. Patrick's Day at school is offensive? Wouldn't you deny me the "right" to deny others the right to, you know, actually live their lives irrespective of my personal issues?

Quote:
The Texas state government has said we don't identify with you, but with these other people and it used a cultural and religious marker to make that clear.
The Texas state government has done no such thing. Much to the contrary, they have even protected the greeting "Happy Holidays" in the same bill.

Quote:
I know to conservatives this isn't a denial of freedom because those people don't count, but it is.
You might as well add "moderates" to that claim, because I don't see it as a denial of freedom either. No sensible human being would be offended by the words "Merry Christmas", nor Santa Claus and his reindeer, nor Frosty the Snowman, snowflakes, candy canes, a Christmas Tree, or 'A Christmas Carol'. A nativity scene, MAYBE. And that's only because it's a scene directly from religious texts. And I'm fine with getting rid of that for this reason and plus because kids generally could care less about it anyway.

But enough's enough. Let kids have some culture in their lives that doesn't require a screen to be viewed through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So something that is virulently opposed to a religious teaching is by that fact religious? If so, I guess atheism is religious in standing as well.
Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈli-jən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices 3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness 4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Source: Merriam-Webster

Merriam-Webster Search for iPhone

Kwanzaa is clearly #3 and #4.

By rejecting a religion it became one.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
So you're still evading my question.

There are many people who are simply tired of being required to be so PC that they have to worry about whether or not the word "Christmas" will be required to be removed from public displays, songs, greetings, cards, etc.
All these people and you cannot name one, aside from the tale about the bank. Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Many parents are absolutely disgusted by a PC element that is so pervasive in the schools, that even traditional Christmas carols are scrubbed of their ancient words, and that Christmas trees are renamed "holiday trees." It's TIRESOME AND PETTY.
It would seem to me that, in reading your bill, it will do nothing to stop people from doing what you find so horrible and offensive, calling a tree a "holiday tree." Shockingly, this bill will not stop people from saying what they feel like saying. They can continue to use the "PC" terms that get your panties in bundles. I find it particularly amusing that they mandate that if a school puts up a nativity scene, they must also include something from a different religion or something secular. That's "progress?" For the record, I could not care less if a public school puts up a nativity scene or any of this other nonsense. I really couldn't. As long as the taxpayers aren't paying for it, go to town. I'm amused that, in an effort to combat "political correctness," they mandate that another religion must be juxtaposed with some Christian symbol. That's hysterical. Talk about political correctness!

Quote:
Here is the Texas bill, in it's entirety. What's your specific problem with it?

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/HB00308F.pdf
That it's unnecessary pap aimed at manipulating the lowest common denominators of intelligence in our society. It's so cynical, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work nearly everytime. Such is the nature of the republic at this point.

The same jackas*es who conceived this bill are the same ones who shout long and hard about bringing decisions back to the levels closest to the people. Apparently, though, they just don't trust local governments to handle this impending crisis in Texas. No sir. We need Ricky and his pals in the state legislature to solve this one. Why, if we left it to the government closest to the people, they might not do what we want! What a bunch of phony-a*s pansies. Don't ever try and float that crap around these parts. You'll be called on your hypocrisy every time. It's like up here when Scotty and his merry band of sycophants in the legislature decided it was the state that should decide, rather than local governments, what teachers should be paid and compensated. Yep, bringing it all back closest to the people.

And finally, we get moist turds of bills like this one from the folks who preach that government should be watching every penny that is spent. Putting together a bill like this entails thousands of dollars after you hold all the hearings and have a vote. When you stop and think how much money is wasted on absolutely vacuous turd blossom bills like this steaming pile, along with every other unnecessary and pointless bill, it brings into focus the disingenuousness of the people who advance them.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
LThe only thing I don't understand here is your selective reading. It only convinces me even more that the state of Texas did the right thing, as apparently it is true that when some people hear the word "Christmas" they freak out and try to undermine whatever's including it.
Marvelous logic, there. Would you like to know what it is actually like? You know when right-wing idiots claim that liberals regard and even call Obama their "messiah?" You know how neither you nor I nor they have ever heard or read a liberal actually say or write that? You know how right-wing a-holes love to lie and fabricate, particularly when it comes to that particular lie that they set up as a strawman to knock down? That's what happens with the "War on Christmas." They advance this lie that people are being told left and right not to say "Merry Christmas" and as they keep lying and lying and lying about it, eventually normal people begin to believe it. That's how they work. You will notice as I've asked the Idiot Brigade time and again to tell me about people they know who have been prevented from saying these things and they come back with a big goose egg. Do you ever wonder why that is?

Do you want to know the extent to which they are willing to lie about this particular subject? About six years ago, the groups that try to perpetuate these lies about Christmas turned their aim towards Target. They claimed, and this was aired by that one lunatic who used to be on Fox News, John Gibson, that Target was instructing its employees not to say "Merry Christmas." I was a manager at Target at the time. It was a complete and utter lie. Not only were no employees ever given those instructions, but they were told to greet people with whatever holiday greeting they wished, including "Merry Christmas." These are the filthy liars who manipulate people like you. When someone tries to manipulate me, I immediately start searching for the things that they are trying to distract me from seeing. You would be wise to start looking.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:42 PM

cometclear, I would like a response to the following post, whenever you get time:

Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill To Protect Holidays From Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The only thing I don't understand here is your selective reading. It only convinces me even more that the state of Texas did the right thing, as apparently it is true that when some people hear the word "Christmas" they freak out and try to undermine whatever's including it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Marvelous logic, there. Would you like to know what it is actually like? You know when right-wing idiots claim that liberals regard and even call Obama their "messiah?" You know how neither you nor I nor they have ever heard or read a liberal actually say or write that? You know how right-wing a-holes love to lie and fabricate, particularly when it comes to that particular lie that they set up as a strawman to knock down? That's what happens with the "War on Christmas."
I'll grant you only that calling it a War is a silly exaggeration. But then, it's in response to a silly problem that does in fact exist: People being offended by and trying to block out the word "Christmas" and so many things associated with it, however infrequently.

Quote:
You will notice as I've asked the Idiot Brigade time and again to tell me about people they know who have been prevented from saying these things and they come back with a big goose egg. Do you ever wonder why that is?
Actually, I'm wondering how you can see what's been posted on here as anything less than confirmation of their claims...

Yes, the thing about Target was a myth.
No, you cannot trust Fox News to tell you anything.
But just because some claims are false doesn't mean that none of the others are true.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
It would seem to me that, in reading your bill, it will do nothing to stop people from doing what you find so horrible and offensive, calling a tree a "holiday tree." Shockingly, this bill will not stop people from saying what they feel like saying. They can continue to use the "PC" terms that get your panties in bundles. I find it particularly amusing that they mandate that if a school puts up a nativity scene, they must also include something from a different religion or something secular. That's "progress?" For the record, I could not care less if a public school puts up a nativity scene or any of this other nonsense. I really couldn't. As long as the taxpayers aren't paying for it, go to town. I'm amused that, in an effort to combat "political correctness," they mandate that another religion must be juxtaposed with some Christian symbol. That's hysterical. Talk about political correctness!

That it's unnecessary pap aimed at manipulating the lowest common denominators of intelligence in our society. It's so cynical, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work nearly everytime. Such is the nature of the republic at this point.

The same jackas*es who conceived this bill are the same ones who shout long and hard about bringing decisions back to the levels closest to the people. Apparently, though, they just don't trust local governments to handle this impending crisis in Texas. No sir. We need Ricky and his pals in the state legislature to solve this one. Why, if we left it to the government closest to the people, they might not do what we want! What a bunch of phony-a*s pansies. Don't ever try and float that crap around these parts. You'll be called on your hypocrisy every time. It's like up here when Scotty and his merry band of sycophants in the legislature decided it was the state that should decide, rather than local governments, what teachers should be paid and compensated. Yep, bringing it all back closest to the people.

And finally, we get moist turds of bills like this one from the folks who preach that government should be watching every penny that is spent. Putting together a bill like this entails thousands of dollars after you hold all the hearings and have a vote. When you stop and think how much money is wasted on absolutely vacuous turd blossom bills like this steaming pile, along with every other unnecessary and pointless bill, it brings into focus the disingenuousness of the people who advance them.
LOL you really do have a fixation with toilet terms, don't you?

A bit odd. But carry on - you're obviously deriving pleasure from pontificating.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
LOL you really do have a fixation with toilet terms, don't you?

A bit odd. But carry on - you're obviously deriving pleasure from pontificating.
Only when we're discussing BS, and this bill along with the contention that masses of people are being prevented from saying "Merry Christmas" certainly qualify as BS, not to mention, in all likelihood, the bank tale.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Only when we're discussing BS, and this bill along with the contention that masses of people are being prevented from saying "Merry Christmas" certainly qualify as BS,
How is this bill "BS", aside from nonsensical theories about its true purpose (e.g., the theory that it's designed to "impose an identy" on the population)?

Who ever claimed that "masses of people" are being prevented from saying "Merry Christmas"?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Only when we're discussing BS, and this bill along with the contention that masses of people are being prevented from saying "Merry Christmas" certainly qualify as BS, not to mention, in all likelihood, the bank tale.
LOL you can't stop yourself, can you?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
I never had one customer tell me, "I sure am glad you're not forcing me to listen to Christmas music - thanks for the silence!"
I would have said it. I hate Christmas music; it's so flipping annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you serious. my bank doesn't play any music. But if people want to hear christmas music then they should go home and play it. Why do they expect a bank to play it
THIS.

Quote:
I don't know - maybe because the bank lobby is very large and very quiet - and they expected some sort of holiday music because it's commonly played in other settings during December? All I know is that people commented on it often during the holiday season.
I wonder what my bank would say if I demanded that they play nothing but patriotic music in July? Or goth music in October? Or shabbat songs on Fridays? They'd laugh their asses off, and they'd be right to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies