Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
It's an observation, not an attack.
Wow! Imagine that. As is what I say about my mother. But apprently, making objective statements about how someone lives means I'm having a hissy fit and hate my mother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
Quote:
BS. Your posts reflect an angry child who is blaming others for her own failings.
What failings? I never said I failed at anything. Project much?

Funny. I remember a boomer on this thread mentioned that she used welfare in the 80s. And yes, she has complained numerous times about how hard her life has bee while she now lives in a McMansion and owns multiple tables and smart phones. Why not bring up her failings?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Why aren't you taking Medicare into account? It's just bizarre to trivialize the hundreds of thousands of dollars of Medical benefits that you're slated to get, paid for by younger generations. That radically changes the outcome of your analysis.. it isn't like some minor detail.
Lol. Medicare is funded by deficit spending; that's why politicians can't do anything about the deficit without losing an election.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
What failings? I never said I failed at anything. Project much?

Funny. I remember a boomer on this thread mentioned that she used welfare in the 80s. And yes, she has complained numerous times about how hard her life has bee while she now lives in a McMansion and owns multiple tables and smart phones. Why not bring up her failings?
You are under 35 and have nothing better to do all day than sit at your computer and post on a message board.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Lol. Medicare is funded by deficit spending; that's why politicians can't do anything about the deficit without losing an election.
I know .. and how about the Mitt Romney - Paul Ryan Medicare plan?

The plan was --- if you were born before 1958, you get the generous Medicare plan.

If you were born after 1958, you're screwed.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Why aren't you taking Medicare into account? It's just bizarre to trivialize the hundreds of thousands of dollars of Medical benefits that you're slated to get, paid for by younger generations. That radically changes the outcome of your analysis.. it isn't like some minor detail.
You could always hope that I walk out the door and get hit by a bus. Cure all your problems then wouldn't it?

Seriously, I don't have the time to calculate my Medicare contributions. The SS statement was easy to get to. And quite frankly, it's not worth the effort when you've proved not only in this thread, but every other thread about boomer's the last few months that you believe what you want to believe and that hard-hotheadedness on your part is the only side you wish to believe. You remind me of the young man (in his late 30's.. not a millennial) who just came to work for my husband. He was asked if he knew what the job entailed. Of course he did; he had "read" and had all the facts about the job. He was fired three days later.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You could always hope that I walk out the door and get hit by a bus. Cure all your problems then wouldn't it?
I dunno, it would take a lot of city bus accidents to euthanize that many boomers. Like I said earlier, I think soylent green is WAY more efficient.

Quote:
Seriously, I don't have the time to calculate my Medicare contributions.
Even if you did, you still don't have the ability to calculate how much you will cost Medicare. No individual really does, it's just not the sort of information the average person comes across.

Anyway, the more interesting point here is that you go around claiming your Medicare benefits are "Paid for," without actually knowing a dollar amount how much you will cost! That should tell you something right there.

Quote:
And quite frankly, it's not worth the effort
Well it depends on your goal.

If your goal is to determine the truth, then it is absolutely worth the effort.

If your goal is to win the argument, then it is in your best interests to stop talking about Medicare.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I think the Millenials will have total control. I don't think it'll be perfect, or there won't be injustices, but I think it will be much better than the system we have now. The corrupt ones are removed and replaced with those who have a passion.

I think its cowardly and foolish to bow down to unjust officials. There should be more laws changed to allow citizens to remove their officials from office over certain crimes.

It's a job is it not??
That's what WE thought in 1969, 1970, through till Watergate anyway. And believe it or not, WE were the ones who the older generation said had no work ethic, bought too much on credit, had loose morals, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Doggone it... I must have missed the meeting! Was I the only one of the approximately 75 million of us boomers who didn't get to vote to screw the following generations on purpose?
Well, I was there, but I voted "no".

Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
World War II generation was born from around 1901 through 1924.

Greatest Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sure, explain it to me like I'm 5.
Ha! I didn't see those years in the Wiki link. Someone born in 1901 would have been 30 at the time of Pearl Harbor; a little old for WW II. Someone born in 1924 would have been 17 then, just about the right age to enlist. Since the war went until 1945, some people born in the late 1920s enlisted towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
What are you going on about? I posted stats about how the typical boomer gambles, lives on credit cards, hasn't saved enough for retirement, and continually votes for entitlements that help their generation and that their generation is literally bankrupting our country. I also posted stats that they committed far more violent crimes. Since you need to bring reproduction into this, abortion is at an all time low, so boomers were having more abortions than my "entitled" generation as well. And who the hell is giving kids these birth control pills? Their parents, who are not millennials.

Surprise! The abortion rate just hit an all-time low.

If you'd care to know, I've never been on birth control, because I didn't have sex until I was married and financially ready to support a child. After almost dying due to pregnancy related complication, I had a tubal ligation. Many of my high school friends were virgins until marriage. My best friend is 30 and still a virgin. My boomer mother lost her virginity at 14. Most of her boomer friends have had abortions. I recall her telling me about one who "used abortion as birth control."

What generation made "free love" popular?
That is not how "the typical boomer lives". I daresay I know a lot more Boomers than you, being one myself. I know few who gamble regularly (though my "Greatest Generation" uncle does), "lives on credit cards", and is voting for entitlements. I posted a link that showed that the Boomers were not represented in large numbers in congress until the early 2000s.

Big whoop about you and your high school friends. I did not take such an interest in my high school friends' sex lives, but frankly, few even had boyfriends. You've got some mother issue. Get over it.

Quote:
You keep bringing up your boomer mother and are judging a entire generation by the poor choices she made. I think you have serious issues with your mother and they stunted your emotional and intellectual growth, to the point that you've never made it past the emotionall age of a pi**ed off 15 year old. Everyone of your posts is a mini hissy fit at your mother. They most certainly do not reflect the thoughts of a young woman who "loves her life."
Agreed.

Quote:
I know .. and how about the Mitt Romney - Paul Ryan Medicare plan?

The plan was --- if you were born before 1958, you get the generous Medicare plan.

If you were born after 1958, you're screwed.
That never became law. And, although Romney is a Boomer, Paul Jagoff Ryan is not.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ha! I didn't see those years in the Wiki link. Someone born in 1901 would have been 30 at the time of Pearl Harbor; a little old for WW II. Someone born in 1924 would have been 17 then, just about the right age to enlist. Since the war went until 1945, some people born in the late 1920s enlisted towards the end.
I may have cut and pasted the wrong link. Here's where I got those years:

Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation, is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1901 through 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw dubbed this the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.

Quote:
That never became law. And, although Romney is a Boomer, Paul Jagoff Ryan is not.
Well the point i'm conveying is not so much that Ryan and/or Romney are boomers, it is that boomers were big romney / ryan supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies