Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 AM

55 posts, read 40,151 times

Advertisements

That is all. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 12:40 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Brilliant, thank you. That is most of the people I know that are baby boomers.

Worked hard, saved up to get what they wanted and retired comfortably.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Brilliant, thank you. That is most of the people I know that are baby boomers.

Worked hard, saved up to get what they wanted and retired comfortably.
You have to admit $600 full time tuition was much more affordable than $4000+ per semester today. Wages have not kept up with inflation at all. When baby boomers were starting out, the minimum wage was equivalent to about $10 today.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You have to admit $600 full time tuition was much more affordable than $4000+ per semester today. Wages have not kept up with inflation at all. When baby boomers were starting out, the minimum wage was equivalent to about $10 today.
Subsidize -> Bubble -> Bust

Let me connect the dots for you. Subsidizing drives prices up.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Subsidize -> Bubble -> Bust

Let me connect the dots for you. Subsidizing drives prices up.

So where's the bust? Will tuition ever again be affordable?

Old 05-26-2013, 01:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Minimum wage was $1.72 when I started working in 1968. I got paid more working in the fields detassling corn. The days were long, and started before dawn, but the pay was decent and better than flipping burgers. While attending college, I worked on campus as a gardener for $2.25 an hour. After college I was not able to find a job in my major because I had no experience. I volunteered for the military, served 8 years, and used the GI Bill to get another degree. I had much better success getting a good paying job this time. A decade later (after the GI Bill ended) I went back to school for another degree. Each time I attended college I paid my tuition in advance, no loans. It is only a question of how badly you want that degree.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,748,508 times
Default hmmm

I remember when the state i lived in had the best public school education in the country, The boomers benifitted from this, and then when it was there turn to pay, they turned there backs now we have one of the worst public schools in the country.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I remember when the state i lived in had the best public school education in the country, The boomers benifitted from this, and then when it was there turn to pay, they turned there backs now we have one of the worst public schools in the country.
Anyone educated prior to 1980, and the creation of the federal Department of Education, did better in public schools. Especially the boomers because of the "Space Race" that began in 1958. Science and mathematics were stressed heavily in public schools during the 1960s. After the feds got involved, public education has taken a turn for the worse, and has been declining ever since.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 AM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
That's funny, I didn't read anything about JR getting sent off to fight Viet Cong in a dense jungle hell. And maybe some babyboomers enjoyed such a carefree existence as depicted, but like every generation, there were unhappy endings and failed attempts to achieve success. Others saw their well paying careers end later in life before they could retire, forcing them to compete for lower paying jobs.

Things are different today, but the formula is still the same. Work hard, learn something useful, and enjoy the returns on your efforts. I never graduated college, but I always worked hard, showed up on time, and set money aside for the future. I'll probably buy my first home at the end of the year at 26. Yea, a couple years later than the dweeb in the whiny picture, but I can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Seems a lot of public schools have taken a dump. It also seems like parents are totally ok with this. Why do kids need a college degree today? Cause HS fails to teach the basics, so they need an extra four years to finally get it right.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That's funny, I didn't read anything about JR getting sent off to fight Viet Cong in a dense jungle hell. And maybe some babyboomers enjoyed such a carefree existence as depicted, but like every generation, there were unhappy endings and failed attempts to achieve success. Others saw their well paying careers end later in life before they could retire, forcing them to compete for lower paying jobs.

Things are different today, but the formula is still the same. Work hard, learn something useful, and enjoy the returns on your efforts. I never graduated college, but I always worked hard, showed up on time, and set money aside for the future. I'll probably buy my first home at the end of the year at 26. Yea, a couple years later than the dweeb in the whiny picture, but I can't complain.
Exactly. That has not changed. Obtain marketable skills, put out some effort, and get compensated for your labors. College is not for everyone, and certainly not a good place to obtain up-to-date marketable skills. A tech school would be a better choice.

If you can anticipate where the market will be, and obtain skills that will be in demand, then you are one step ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies