Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh please. No one is supporting the girls word. We just question the theatrics made over them. She's a bigot big deal. No way a 13 year old girl destroys my soul.
But this particular incident didn't happen to you. So what's your soul got to do with anything?

What gives you or the OP the right to tell someone how to feel about something? You haven't lived their life. You don't know this guy or his history or the history of his ancestors. You don't know anything about it, you just presume to tell someone how to feel.

Get over yourselves. How controlling can you possibly be to tell someone how they should react to something that has absolutely nothing to do with your own life experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But this particular incident didn't happen to you. So what's your soul got to do with anything?

What gives you or the OP the right to tell someone how to feel about something? You haven't lived their life. You don't know this guy or his history or the history of his ancestors. You don't know anything about it, you just presume to tell someone how to feel.

Get over yourselves. How controlling can you possibly be to tell someone how they should react to something that has absolutely nothing to do with your own life experience.
good point.

this is the internet also where you can talk tough behind the keyboard, internet warrior. have it happen to you in the real world, see how you react.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
The Australian attitude here really surprises me. I notice in the comments many people calling this athlete "all class" or "a class act" for the way he has handled the incident. I doubt an American athlete would get the same reaction if he went on and on about how much his feeling were hurt by some girl calling him names.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The Australian attitude here really surprises me. I notice in the comments many people calling this athlete "all class" or "a class act" for the way he has handled the incident. I doubt an American athlete would get the same reaction if he went on and on about how much his feeling were hurt by some girl calling him names.
The American experience and the Australian experience are not the same. I don't see the point in trying to equate the two, especially if you have zero background knowledge.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The American experience and the Australian experience are not the same. I don't see the point in trying to equate the two, especially if you have zero background knowledge.
I was comparing not equating. If you have some special knowledge why don't you share it with us.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I was comparing not equating. If you have some special knowledge why don't you share it with us.
I already did. I told you I grew up in Australia in the 60's and 70's, when racism against the Aboriginal people was still rampant and truly disgraceful. I have known many Aboriginal people through my work and the realities of the indignities and horrors they've suffered through generally well meaning but morally attrocitious policies throughout the years of attempted assimilation with European culture is a regret that many Australians carry to this day. For good reason, it was appalling and we abhor it.

And try comparing apples with apples, instead of apples with front porches.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
I watched that game. Aussie Rules football is probably the toughest, most athletic game out there with some of the most fit and rough athletes (I'd venture even more hardcore than Rugby and infinitely tougher than American football).

Just goes to show that emotions can even affect tough guys.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Finster, do you think Australia has now figured out what to do with the Aboriginies? Is there a solution in place now that other societies can learn from?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Finster, do you think Australia has now figured out what to do with the Aboriginies? Is there a solution in place now that other societies can learn from?
Thanks, that's a good question. I think the Aboriginal culture is so unique that it's hard to transfer attempts at reparations to them to the indigenous peoples of other countries.

We've found, as Australia is a harsh and unforgiving place on which to try and to impose the Western way of life, that we had a lot to learn from the way Aboriginals had learned to live with the land and not fight it every step of the way. The Aboriginal culture cannot exist without the land that is so much a part of them that the two are the same.

The fight over land rights in the 70's is very well documented. I watched public opinion turn from general disdain toward the Aboriginal culture to a genuine and sincere respect amongst the new generation of European decent Australians for all the things they could have taught us if we'd just listened.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
good point.

this is the internet also where you can talk tough behind the keyboard, internet warrior. have it happen to you in the real world, see how you react.
That goes BOTH ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies