Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Except you're not including the 1600 or so that refused the test. You can't fail a test you refuse to take.

http://www.floridafga.org/wp-content...rter-Facts.pdf
Thanks, that's the first place I've seen the refusal number listed.

Regardless, my point still stands. The money saved was outweighed by the money spent by a wide margin. That's also ignoring other, less measurable impacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The money saved was outweighed by the money spent by a wide margin.

Florida saved $30 for every dollar reimbursed for the tests and that is only over a 4 1/2 period when you include those that refused the test. Look at the chart, it lays it out for you. It's almost 2 million they saved.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Florida saved $30 for every dollar reimbursed for the tests
Which is not the cost of the program. Were you confused on that point or something?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'm all for it. I say randomly drug test everyone. I have no problems with being drug tested anytime, any place, and any where. How about you?
That's the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Texas Approves Drug Tests For Unemployment Benefits...

Random drug tests should be a requirement in all states for any type of government (taxpayer) benefits.

then random drug tests should be a requirement in all states for homestead exemptions, because those exemptions are paid for by other taxpayers.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Which is not the cost of the program. Were you confused on that point or something?
Beyond the testing what other other costs were there? Certainly administrative costs in the government didn't add up to $2 million dollars in 4 months to test a few thousand people.

Reference to what you are speaking about in these mysterious costs?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
What they are doing is legal and they are paying for their booze with THEIR money. Which THEY earned and are being productive members of society. Not leeches.
Oh really. So it's okay by you that people come into work hungover on the taxpayers dime, but geez lets by all means spend a whole bunch of money to make sure someone on unemployment (to be on unemployment means you've been laid off, not fired) doesn't smoke a little pot?

What a double standard.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Beyond the testing what other other costs were there? Certainly administrative costs in the government didn't add up to $2 million dollars in 4 months to test a few thousand people.

Reference to what you are speaking about in these mysterious costs?
Four months was only the length of time that the testing was permitted before the 11th Circuit issued an injunction stopping it. Administrative costs would have been building leading well up to that point and certainly would have exceeded $2 million. Oh, do I get to throw in the legal costs of defending this law in court as well?

The bottom line is that Florida spent far more reimbursing people for testing costs than it saved by actively eliminating others. You and some others point to the money saved by those who did not test but there are several problems there that anyone with some education in statistics could point out. First, there is no historical data to show whether there was any change in this trend previous to the implementation of the drug testing. I kinda doubt it, as reports said there was no fluctuation in the amount of applications after the law went into effect. You are also making the assumption that the people who did not test did so because they would fail, but ignores the equally plausible scenarios where they could not afford the testing fee, saw a change in life situation, moved...etc.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
I'm all for it. I say randomly drug test everyone. I have no problems with being drug tested anytime, any place, and any where. How about you?
Does that include everyone's blood alcohol level? How many people that work for the taxpayer do you think go into work still drunk from the night before?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's the first place I've seen the refusal number listed.

Regardless, my point still stands. The money saved was outweighed by the money spent by a wide margin. That's also ignoring other, less measurable impacts.
Some lab made a good deal of money from all that testing. Also those people don't vanish. If they cannot feed and clothe themselves they really are going to have a near impossible time "contributing" to society, as well.

I would say better use of time is CAFR discussion of all the wealth not not being utilized by the very taxpayers that funded it. FL state alone has quite the stash. Last I looked so did TX. Recent CAFR numbers of FL state were close to 70bil net surplus, that's with all the special accounting they can all get away with.

Same thing is happening everywhere in US.
Public Banking Conference: June 2-4, 2013 – Trillions in taxpayer surpluses

Last edited by CDusr; 05-26-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies