Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

I've never met him but I know people who have, and they describe him as pleasant and 'affable'. My impression of him is that he'd be the neighbor who waves hello or offers to help if you're trimming a tree or struggling with a lawn mower. He'd be a fun guy to have at a barbecue and I'm sure he'd be a good guy to have in the group if you were going out to have a beer or tailgate. He's also fiercely loyal to his friends, which I suppose is a good thing...as long as your friends are good people.

The problem with him is that he was born on third base but thinks he hit a triple. I think he is completely naive about the struggles 'real' Americans face, and he is very quick to delegate responsibility. Unfortunately, in his administration, he delegated these responsibilities to people who did some pretty nasty things. I honestly don't know how much he knew about that, whether he approved of it, whether he was really in charge, or whether he was Dick Cheney's puppet. I really have no idea.

All I know is that I feel his administration marked a turning point in this country and opened the floodgates for open, brazen government intrusion into our private lives. The Patriot Act was a serious mistake. The Iraq war was a serious mistake. We have paid, and will continue to pay, heavy penalties for both for the rest of our lives. Bush, being extremely wealthy and well-connected, is largely insulated from these...just like other wealthy, well-connected people. He doesn't 'get it', and never will.

That isn't to say that other politicians, whether D or R, are not equally disconnected. Or callous. Or apathetic. Or corrupt. They are.

I'm pleased that Bush has retreated to being a homebody in his retirement; he seems happy with his life now, and that's all well and good. Bully for him. I'm not ready to make him into a hero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
False, the US military was not actively engaged during the entire time...though the UN was, there is a difference, so no, you didn't properly answer the question.
So then please enlighten us and cite your source. Exactly how long was the U.S. military involved?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Inspiring: Former President George W. Bush Rides With Wounded Warriors at His Texas Ranch | TheBlaze.com

[MOD CUT/hotlinking]

I know the response Ill get from some and ill gladly ignore them. Say what you want about him (and I have my own issues with him), but he really is a good man. I tell you one thing, you wont see Obama doing anything like this when he leaves office. Bush has done stuff like this many times. You can tell he enjoys it, he enjoys being with veterans.

Dubya's probably a likeable cuss.

Just a lousy president. And an incompetent "decider." America would be so much better off today if he hadn't allowed Cheney to buffalo him on so many things.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And do you feel the same way about all the Dems that voted to send our men into harms way?

Based on fabricated evidence. When are you people going to get that one straight?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Based on fabricated evidence. When are you people going to get that one straight?
If you believe the evidence was fabricated when are you people going to hold the Dems accountable for being stupid enough to fall for fabricated evidence?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Well nice of him to do that after sending them go war to lose those limbs, it is a shame the soldiers that died couldn't join him in all the fun. He should of stayed on his ranch instead of run for president.

How do you feel about Wilson, FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Obama and Clinton?

Did they not send several hundred thousand troops to thier deaths?

Gee.................. sorry.................. I forgot that this was about bashing republicans for no apparent reason, not reality.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Quote:
Well nice of him to do that after sending them go war to lose those limbs, it is a shame the soldiers that died couldn't join him in all the fun. He should of stayed on his ranch instead of run for president.
And maybe you should "of" stayed off mom's computer.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Well, if it weren't for Bush, there's a good chance that they wouldn't have been wounded.

Hope this makes him feel better.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The intelligence about WMDs was proven to be partially incorrect after U.S. Forces inspected the potential WMD sites. Prior to the invasion, even the IAEA suspected the possibility of clandestine nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons research based upon refusal to cooperate with weapons inspectors. After U.S. Forces took control of the suspected sites, there was evidence of precursor compounds, including tons of yellow cake, present at several locations.

What this means is that there was no deliberate attempt to deceive Congress or the American people. The Bush administration was using the available intelligence at the time. Where is the proof that Bush knowingly used intelligence, that he knew to be false at the time, to mislead Congress?

The voting records are easy to research:

Senate Vote

92 YEAs
02 NAYs
06 Not Voting

House Vote

296 YEAs
133 NAYs
003 Not Voting

Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Bush knowingly lied.

Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies