Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,977 times

Advertisements

A family member of mine recently got a DUI, here in the state of New Jersey. To my surprise, his lawyer told him that it was NOT a criminal offense in NJ. It is a motor vehicle offense, more serious than running a stop sign but still not technically criminal. (I used to think it was criminal) Hence, is NJ alone in this regard? Isn't drinking and driving in other states a downright criminal offense in which a record of your arrest is sent to the FBI? What are the laws in your state? Additionally, should DUI (even if no one is injured) should be a criminal offense or a motor vehicle offense (like a traffic ticket)? Please debate the pros and cons of this technicality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,595 times
All DUI's should, in my opinion, be treated the same as any other actions that could be considered reckless endangerment.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM

1,179 posts, read 976,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
A family member of mine recently got a DUI, here in the state of New Jersey. To my surprise, his lawyer told him that it was NOT a criminal offense in NJ. It is a motor vehicle offense, more serious than running a stop sign but still not technically criminal. (I used to think it was criminal) Hence, is NJ alone in this regard? Isn't drinking and driving in other states a downright criminal offense in which a record of your arrest is sent to the FBI? What are the laws in your state? Additionally, should DUI (even if no one is injured) should be a criminal offense or a motor vehicle offense (like a traffic ticket)? Please debate the pros and cons of this technicality.
Everybody makes mistakes imo. Second DUI and anything after should be jail time period.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
If memory serves NJ is the only state where DUI is not a felony. The insurance surcharge in NJ is a killer though. Something on the order of $5,000.00 a year.

A car operated by someone under the influence is a weapon and definitely should be a felony. But each state is free to make its own laws. NJ has chosen not to make it a felony.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
In most states DUI is only a felony if you have multiple convictions or cause personal injury. (IANAL)

State Felony Non-Injury DUI Comparison Chart:
http://sentencingcommission.alacourt...UI%20Chart.pdf

Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,977 times
You guys have to understand that it is a felony in most states after multi-offenses and/or injuries. A first time, no injury DUI in NJ is not even a crime.

What are the laws in other states regarding first offense DUI w/o injuries? Should even this be considered a crime, even if it is a misdemnor? I am trying to figure out if someone should get a criminal record based on such circumstances.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:18 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
I don't think DUI itself is a felony in any state. Although you can be charged with "Felony DUI" depending on your previous numbers of offenses and/or if you have caused serious injury to others or property.

I know Jersey DUI laws are a joke though. The repercussions of driving without insurance is a bigger fine than DUI and a 1 year suspension of your license

Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
It depends how under the influence they are, and whether it is their first time, third time, eighth time, etc.

If it's your first time and you only blow a .09, then you should be let go with a ticket and maybe a short suspension. However, if it's your ninth time, and you blow a .22, better make it a felony.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
I can not say for certain, but I do not think DUI convictions are automatically sent to the FBI.

I also have to agree with someone who said, "anyone can make a mistake" just be thankful the mistake didn't cost anyone thier life and let's hope the person used his head next time he/she is drinking. Many of us can look back and remembe a time we should not have been behind the wheel. I don't know if it age or knowledge, but I know, today, I would never drink and drive.

Nita

Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Drinking is the only rational thing to do if one lives in NJ.

Of course, growing up in Philly, I am a bit biased
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies