U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are marijuana users criminals in your opinion?
Yes 61 26.07%
No 166 70.94%
Undecided 7 2.99%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,155,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I get that, however, you have to start at the state level to affect a change at the federal level.
Why? Is that how civil rights worked in the South? A state thinking it's OK to break the law is not grass roots even if it's about grass.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM

73,522 posts, read 40,831,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Lol. The first couple times I tried pot, yeah, those symptoms were present. However, I am still here today to talk about - who would've thunk it?
Some others are not as lucky.....

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

472 posts, read 522,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Can you cite studies that indicate that marijuana causes cannibalism
Finn Jarber just makes up her own facts. No references.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Um, no.

Per the 10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Since there is nothing in the Constitution giving the U.S. federal government the power to regulate marijuana--or any other "illegal" drug--the states, and ONLY the states, have the right to regulate their usage. Alcohol Prohibition was passed via a constitutional amendment, therefore it became a federal responsibility.

The only exception is if marijuana is grown in one state and transported to another; then the Interstate Commerce Clause gives the feds jurisdiction.
You're wrong. You're leaving out the supremacy clause in it's entirety. Go find it, cut and paste it in to a message here and stare at it until you figure out what you're missing. It isn't hard. I've already mentioned it and no one ever touches it.

The supremacy clause by the way, is supreme. It overrules even state constitutions. And I think it can be argued that you are missing two parts that cover this. The 10th only covers the things not included in Article 6 (Clause II).

Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Um, no.

You tell me i'm wrong, and then go on to explain exactly how the federal government has jurisdiction to regulate marijuana.

Read up on Lopez - the feds can regulate economic activity having an impact on ICC.
You don't need Lopez. It's far more basic than that. If only I could get one person to agree

Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,063,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it was the liberals that outlawed cannabis
Well yes it did indeed become illegal under FDR's watch. But let's not forget Nixon really amped up enforcement during the Vietnam era. Both sides are full of s*** in my book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
The worst side effect for me, is the munchies. I could literally order value meals 1-8 on the Mcdonalds menu, and if I don't eat it all, I will sure put a dent in it (and I'm in decent shape, no professional eater).

That, or I will sit on the couch contemplating on whether or not to do something. Either grab a drink, get the mail, or even just send a text message. I will contemplate, contemplate, and contemplate some more, then before I realize, an hour has gone by. LOL!

So, needless to say, I really haven't done it in a long while, because I am not in the "productive" group when I use. (although, it is definitely in my retirement plan)

All that being said, even with my worst experience smoking pot, it was less dangerous and healthier than a good drinking day.
Yeah, that sums it up. I won't use it while working, or if I have other things that need to be done. It's strictly me time.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Gay marriage "takes away" or negates, the Defense of Marriage Act.
A constitutional right can't take away from anything. The problem for the gay community is they asked for an answer and they might not like what that answer is. Jumping to SCOTUS to lay something to rest is dangerous. We'll see soon how it goes.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:16 PM

6,331 posts, read 4,845,849 times
Quote:
the democrat controlled congress and the democrat potus of 1937

you cant refute that fact of history
Congress is not liberal, even when it's controlled by dems

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Was Rosa Parks a criminal?
How about Julian Assange? To me, he is a hero and a victim.
Yes and yes. So were the members of the Underground Railroad. There are states in the South that now have what is known as Rosa Park laws that allow people to get their record expunged of Jim Crow type convictions but I don't think that's ever happened for her.

It won't happen for Assange though.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM

73,522 posts, read 40,831,807 times
Quote:
the democrat controlled congress and the democrat potus of 1937
What was the vote distribution? Who held majority of Congress is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies