U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are marijuana users criminals in your opinion?
Yes 61 26.07%
No 166 70.94%
Undecided 7 2.99%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,148,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
How is it more basic?
Well, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by ICC but if you are not talking about the supremacy clause then that is more basic. It doesn't get any more basic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,846,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm asking this question because I think it is waay past time that we address our marijuana and hard drug laws. It would seem, that our laws would be based upon reason, and our Constitution and not religious dogma and tradition. But for arguably racists and capatalistic reasons, marijuana was outlawed in this country and prohibition has been in full force every since.

My question is this. Are marijuana users criminals in your opinion (outside of current laws)? If not, why are the laws still on the books and what can we do to get them changed?

I have always tended to favor drug legalization. But a big caveat is that as we move towards socialized medicine, now I as a taxpayer am on the hook for the druggie's health problems. The more gov't is involved in the provision of health care, the more unhealthy behaviors will have to be controlled. MJ is not as bad as some things, but it is not harmless, either.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,883,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
True, the discussion is about people who are guilty of drug related crimes, and surprisingly many posters have confessed to having been less than law abiding.
LOL, it's weed, not meth or crack. Pot is harmless. How many of us drank while underage, raise your hands! How many of us have parked illegally or gotten parking tickets, raise your hands? How many of us have driven over the speed limit? Driven through a red light? Rolled through a stop sign? Maybe stolen something small at a store at one time? Please. You're making it seem like everyone on here are criminals when I see so many people who seem to be the purest of the pure. No one is that pure.

And Finn, there is no way pot will cause someone to cannibalize another. I don't care what you've seen/heard/believe. I always get this staunch "I know all about that evil evil drug pot" from the people who don't smoke it yet claim to be the experts. Amazing.

Last edited by northnut; 05-29-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM

29,042 posts, read 48,145,103 times
Quote:
Quite obviously he was still under the marijuana phsychosis since he ate the other guys face. We DO KNOW what he had in his system because of the toxicology report. It was pot, only pot, and nothing but pot.

A friend of mine once smoked some pot, and ended up wandering around the streets of Miami in his underwear. He had no idea why he had left the hotel in his underwear. Later he said it was an exremely scary experience.
Your friend lied to you (about marijuana causing his episode), and I'm not surprised you were gullible enough to fall for it! And what the hell is a "phsychosis?" Did you just pick random letters on a keyboard, or what?

Now please excuse me, it's time to go eat some faces... oops, I mean it's time for me to go to work.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM

472 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have always tended to favor drug legalization. But a big caveat is that as we move towards socialized medicine, now I as a taxpayer am on the hook for the druggie's health problems. The more gov't is involved in the provision of health care, the more unhealthy behaviors will have to be controlled. MJ is not as bad as some things, but it is not harmless, either.
The other side is, marijuana is also a cheaper and sometimes more effective alternative compared to some pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by 97701; 05-29-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 PM

29,042 posts, read 48,145,103 times
Quote:
True, the discussion is about people who are guilty of drug related crimes, and surprisingly many posters have confessed to having been less than law abiding.
I'm not doing anything illegal by state or local laws, which is what they follow here - so I dare you to bother the cops over it! Once they stopped laughing in your face, they would warn you to stop wasting their time & money.

You probably break more serious laws than I do on a regular basis, and probably engage in more harmful substances too.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,905,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Well, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by ICC but if you are not talking about the supremacy clause then that is more basic. It doesn't get any more basic.
there are two parts.

the interstate commerce clause is what grants the federal government authority to regulate marijuana. The supremacy clause is what makes federal law pre-empt state law.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM

13,256 posts, read 11,269,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it was the liberals that outlawed cannabis
I think it was more the racists and those who wanted to capitalize on other cash crops. The right propaganda was presented against marijuana and it was outlawed. It is actually probably one of the oldest medicinal plants known to man. It wasn't until the last century that it was outlawed.

For those who support green energy, think about this. Hemp can be used as a replacement for wood in nearly all of its uses. It actually exceeds wood in its total uses. It's harvesting time is 5.83% of the time of a softwood tree.

Why not spare our natural forests and use hemp instead? It's what our forefathers encouraged us to do and most of them grew hemp and smoked marijuana. Pretty much all of our last presidents have as well.

It's time to change policy. It was not justified in being outlawed. You can still outlaw harmful and destructive behavior without invading into people's freedoms. We've seen time and time again that our law enforcement can't be trusted but we still subject millions in our population to their will.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
there are two parts.

the interstate commerce clause is what grants the federal government authority to regulate marijuana. The supremacy clause is what makes federal law pre-empt state law.
My point is treaties. There are drug treaties so I don't think ICC needs to be invoked. But I don't know if it has or not. Mostly, the administration is ignoring it. Mostly.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I think it was more the racists and those who wanted to capitalize on other cash crops. The right propaganda was presented against marijuana and it was outlawed. It is actually probably one of the oldest medicinal plants known to man. It wasn't until the last century that it was outlawed.
Mexicans, right? I was waiting for someone to bring up Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies