U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are marijuana users criminals in your opinion?
Yes 61 26.07%
No 166 70.94%
Undecided 7 2.99%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 16,368,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I think it was more the racists and those who wanted to capitalize on other cash crops. The right propaganda was presented against marijuana and it was outlawed. It is actually probably one of the oldest medicinal plants known to man. It wasn't until the last century that it was outlawed.

For those who support green energy, think about this. Hemp can be used as a replacement for wood in nearly all of its uses. It actually exceeds wood in its total uses. It's harvesting time is 5.83% of the time of a softwood tree.

Why not spare our natural forests and use hemp instead? It's what our forefathers encouraged us to do and most of them grew hemp and smoked marijuana. Pretty much all of our last presidents have as well.

It's time to change policy. It was not justified in being outlawed. You can still outlaw harmful and destructive behavior without invading into people's freedoms. We've seen time and time again that our law enforcement can't be trusted but we still subject millions in our population to their will.
agree...hemp can be used for almost anything

* All schoolbooks were made from hemp or flax paper until the 1880s; Hemp Paper Reconsidered, Jack Frazier, 1974.

* It was LEGAL TO PAY TAXES WITH HEMP in America from 1631 until the early 1800s; LA Times, Aug. 12, 1981.

* REFUSING TO GROW HEMP in America during the 17th and 18th Centuries WAS AGAINST THE LAW! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769; Hemp in Colonial Virginia, G. M. Herdon.

* George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers GREW HEMP; Washington and Jefferson Diaries. Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China to France then to America.

* Benjamin Franklin owned one of the first paper mills in America and it processed hemp. Also, the War of 1812 was fought over hemp. Napoleon wanted to cut off Moscow's export to England; Emperor Wears No Clothes, Jack Herer.

* For thousands of years, 90% of all ships' sails and rope were made from hemp. The word 'canvas' is Dutch for cannabis; Webster's New World Dictionary.

* 80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until the 1820s with the introduction of the cotton gin.

* The first Bibles, maps, charts, Betsy Ross's flag, the first drafts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were made from hemp; U.S. Government Archives.

* The first crop grown in many states was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for Kentucky producing 40,000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th Century; State Archives.

* Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China, although hemp industrialization probably goes back to ancient Egypt.

* Rembrants, Gainsboroughs, Van Goghs as well as most early canvas paintings were principally painted on hemp linen.

* In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture

* Quality paints and varnishes were made from hemp seed oil until 1937. 58,000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America for paint products in 1935; Sherman Williams Paint Co. testimony before Congress against the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act.

* Henry Ford's first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONTRUCTED FROM HEMP! On his large estate, Ford was photographed among his hemp fields. The car, 'grown from the soil,' had hemp plastic panels whose impact strength was 10 times stronger than steel; Popular Mechanics, 1941.

* Hemp called 'Billion Dollar Crop.' It was the first time a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a billion dollars; Popular Mechanics, Feb., 1938.

* Mechanical Engineering Magazine (Feb. 1938) published an article entitled 'The Most Profitable and Desirable Crop that Can be Grown.' It stated that if hemp was cultivated using 20th Century technology, it would be the single largest agricultural crop in the U.S. and the rest of the world.

Hemp has a higher quality fiber than wood fiber. Far fewer caustic chemicals are required to make paper from hemp than from trees. Hemp paper does not turn yellow and is very durable. The plant grows quickly to maturity in a season where trees take a lifetime.

ALL PLASTIC PRODUCTS SHOULD BE MADE FROM HEMP SEED OIL. Hempen plastics are biodegradable! Over time, they would break down and not harm the environment. Oil-based plastics, the ones we are very familiar with, help ruin nature; they do not break down and will do great harm in the future. The process to produce the vast array of natural (hempen) plastics will not ruin the rivers as Dupont and other petrochemical companies have done. Ecology does not fit in with the plans of the Oil Industry and the political machine. Hemp products are safe and natural.

MEDICINES SHOULD BE MADE FROM HEMP. We should go back to the days when the AMA supported cannabis cures. 'Medical Marijuana' is given out legally to only a handful of people while the rest of us are forced into a system that relies on chemicals. Pot is only healthy for the human body.

WORLD HUNGER COULD END. A large variety of food products can be generated from hemp. The seeds contain one of the highest sources of protein in nature. ALSO: They have two essential fatty acids that clean your body of cholesterol. These essential fatty acids are not found anywhere else in nature! Consuming pot seeds is the best thing you could do for your body. Eat uncooked hemp seeds.

CLOTHES SHOULD BE MADE FROM HEMP. Hemp clothing is extremely strong and durable over time. You could hand clothing, made from pot, down to your grandchildren. Today, there are American companies that make hemp clothing; usually 50% hemp. Hemp fabrics should be everywhere. Instead, they are almost underground. Superior hemp products are not allowed to advertise on fascist television. Kentucky, once the top hemp producing state, made it ILLEGAL TO WEAR hemp clothing! Can you imagine being thrown into jail for wearing quality jeans?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:55 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,229 times
By United States current law yes, but in my opinion, no.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM

7,197 posts, read 5,502,292 times
Technically, yes, but then again so am I. I break the law quite often, I'm just smart enough not to get caught.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 PM

29,042 posts, read 48,142,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some others are not as lucky.....
Who? Your friend who was obviously on something else, or the schizophrenic (and possibly bath salt-using) face eater? If those are the best examples you can cite, I would say you lost this argument!

I've known a LOT of pot smokers (myself included) over the years, and not one has ever gone psychotic or eaten somebody's face merely from smoking the stuff. The only person I know who had a psychotic episode was a pot smoker, but that night he went a little nutso he was also dosing LSD.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Technically, yes, but then again so am I. I break the law quite often, I'm just smart enough not to get caught.
On my way to work just now, I passed a cop while going about 77mph in a 65mph zone... he pointed the radar gun right at me, and yet didn't pull me over or anything. These days (especially since I'm a medical card holder and even recreational use is decriminalized), that would have been a larger fine than simple marijuana possession. So why didn't he get me? Maybe because local LE doesn't waste time on petty stuff, and would rather go for the REAL criminals. And on that particular freeway, chances are he'd catch a 90mph+ driver any minute.

Oh, but according to Finn we should all be locked up right now - herself included, since she's probably broken a few minor laws in her life too.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,822,734 times
Why do people say stupid stuff about people going off the deep end due to mj use? That is such crap. Unless the person has psych issues or is already using a bunch of other drugs or combining weed and alcohol that is impossible.

Alcohol causes far greater harm than MJ.

Drunks will vomit, pi$$ on themselves, and pass out in any corner with enough alcohol in them. Alcoholics can die from ETOH withdrawal and DTs. Aside from Benzodiazepines what other drug has the potential to kill you if you stop using it? At least Benzos are Rx...any idiot over 21 can buy alcohol. Even opiate withdrawal won't kill you (just make you a miserable so and so).

I have taken care of hundreds of patients due to alcohol related problems...I have taken care of zero related to marijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who? Your friend who was obviously on something else, or the schizophrenic (and possibly bath salt-using) face eater? If those are the best examples you can cite, I would say you lost this argument!

I've known a LOT of pot smokers (myself included) over the years, and not one has ever gone psychotic or eaten somebody's face merely from smoking the stuff. The only person I know who had a psychotic episode was a pot smoker, but that night he went a little nutso he was also dosing LSD.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Why do people say stupid stuff about people going off the deep end due to mj use? That is such crap. Unless the person has psych issues or is already using a bunch of other drugs or combining weed and alcohol that is impossible.

Alcohol causes far greater harm than MJ.

Drunks will vomit, pi$$ on themselves, and pass out in any corner with enough alcohol in them. Alcoholics can die from ETOH withdrawal and DTs. Aside from Benzodiazepines what other drug has the potential to kill you if you stop using it? At least Benzos are Rx...any idiot over 21 can buy alcohol. Even opiate withdrawal won't kill you (just make you a miserable so and so).

I have taken care of hundreds of patients due to alcohol related problems...I have taken care of zero related to marijuana.
Exactly. I grew up surrounded by the "pot culture" here in the Bay Area, and NEVER have I EVER witnessed somebody going psychotic from marijuana use. Never. So I basically just laugh at people like Finn, and feel sorry for them to be so gullible and misinformed. Meanwhile, she probably has an occasional - or regular? - drink and thinks "I'm so cool and law-abiding right now," while families are regularly destroyed by alcohol. Sad that our society is so easily brainwashed, and can't see the real problems lie in what's currently legal. Compared to liquor and big pharma drugs, marijuana is about as harmful as oxygen.

(and I don't think alcohol should be illegal either, just that both alcohol & marijuana should be classified the same)

Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,728,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

(and I don't think alcohol should be illegal either, just that both alcohol & marijuana should be classified the same)
Instead, MJ is a schedule 1 narcotic with LSD and Heroin. lmao.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Can you actually be arrested for saying you've smoked it?
Nope. There is no law against talking about marijuana, looking at photos of marijuana, or even having it present in your system (unless we're talking about pre-employment or probationary drug testing). If you walked into a police station and declared "I smoked pot yesterday," they would probably reply with a confused shrug.

And considering under 1oz of marijuana isn't even a crime in California anymore, if you walked in WITH a bag of pot in your hand, the worst you'd get is an infraction.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,904,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
My point is treaties. There are drug treaties so I don't think ICC needs to be invoked. But I don't know if it has or not. Mostly, the administration is ignoring it. Mostly.
a treaty would be invalid if it went contrary to the constitution - so the federal government would need a constitutional basis for the law, it can't circumvent the constitution by signing a treaty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies