U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are marijuana users criminals in your opinion?
Yes 61 26.07%
No 166 70.94%
Undecided 7 2.99%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Florida
73,524 posts, read 39,482,628 times
Reputation: 13594

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Portugal decriminalizes drugs -- drug abuse drops 50% - Richard Rider - Open Salon

AFP: Portugal drug law show results ten years on, experts say


Portugal Drug Policy: Decriminalization Works - Business Insider


hard drug use has dropped dramatically in Portugal, what would you rather have a few more pot smokers? or more hard drug users including alcohol.? if pot were legal less people would do hard drugs.. I almost completely stopped drinking alcohol, I drink on a rare moon, i choose the lesser of evils, "weed". I haven't even had a parking ticket in 15 years I contribute that to only smoking pot. I do no other drugs and rarely do any prescrips unless absolutely necessarily. basically I'm pretty darn straight..

I GUESS SOME PEOPLE WHEN BRAINWASHED ARE FOREVER BRAINWASHED NO GOING BACK..
Sorry, but I already posted hard facts about Portugal where drug use has gone up. For example cocaine use has doubled since decriminalization.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,190 posts, read 4,725,262 times
Reputation: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let's recap: Marijuana users are criminals in most states, and marijuana use is proven to cause mental illness, psychosis and violent episodes. Marijuana is addictive, and marijuana causes serious heart disease and deadly arrhythmia. Decriminalization in Portugal led to increased use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sorry, but I already posted hard facts about Portugal where drug use has gone up. For example cocaine use has doubled since decriminalization.
Do you have some hard facts with citations to back these claims up? Especially the baseless, wacky claims in the first paragraph? Do you have actual evidence that the majority within the scientific community believes that marijuana use causes "mental illness, psychosis and violent episodes?"

Because, if not, I am just going to (rightly) assume you are pulling opinion and BS out of your butt and presenting it as fact. Which is, of course, meaningless drivel.

It's good to know, though, that you support government control and interference over every little thing a private citizen might choose to put in their bodies as well as the billons upon billons that are clearly wasted on the "War on Drugs."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Florida
73,524 posts, read 39,482,628 times
Reputation: 13594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Do you have some hard facts with citations to back these claims up? Especially the baseless, wacky claims in the first paragraph? Do you have actual evidence that the majority within the scientific community believes that marijuana use causes "mental illness, psychosis and violent episodes?"

Because, if not, I am just going to (rightly) assume you are pulling opinion and BS out of your butt and presenting it as fact. Which is, of course, meaningless drivel.

It's good to know, though, that you support government control and interference over every little thing a private citizen might choose to put in their bodies as well as the billons upon billons that are clearly wasted on the "War on Drugs."
Yes, I posted references to several dozen medical studies on this thread which prove the claims. Read and weep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,896 posts, read 10,801,290 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Your not understanding spice & pot both will show signs of THC......they have to know it's what he smoked. Where's the proof it was only pot.......


I knew a girl who liked to put PCP in MJ and not tell anyone at after hour parties. She was messed up she figured if guys were stupid enough to smoke without asking it wasn't her problem. People who go to parties with many people attending may never know what they've taken or smoked.
That is just plain wrong! I don't like suprises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
From USA Today:


An expert on toxicology testing said marijuana alone wasn't likely to cause behavior as strange as Eugene's.
"The problem today is that there is an almost an infinite number of chemical substances out there that can trigger unusual behavior," said Dr. Bruce Goldberger, Professor and Director of Toxicology at the University of Florida.
I'd be inclined to go along with that theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Was he involved in the case? NO

He did not analyze the data, so this is nothing but a personal opinion.
It may be an opinion, but his theory does have plenty of validity. Pot typically doesn't make one want to go bat s*** crazy, and eat someone's face off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I don't see any upside to smoking dope but a lot of people use it so society will have to deal with the crime/punishment problems. It's expensive to put a person into jail and I would rather see a "ticket" issued for small time users.
Why even a ticket? Just freakin' end the prohibition of cannabis already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why are you saying it was pot when this report says they expect bath salts........would you like to give a link that shows it was pot and just pot?
Face-Eating Attack Possibly Linked to Bath Salts, Miami Police Say - ABC News

Police have not officially connected Eugene's behavior to "bath salts," but experts say he was exhibiting the classic signs of someone high on the drug.

Face-eating man incident intensifies scrutiny over 'bath salts' drug | Society | guardian.co.uk

The drugs were already illegal in Florida, where Eugene may have taken them before his breakdown
It makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And they found one such substance, and it was identified as "mari-chu-huana". The guy was in full blown pot psychosis, and attacked a person. Get used to it.
He could have smoked the "MAR-CHU-HUANA" 4 days ago Finn!!! The THC molecule stays in your system for 30 days! Other substances flush out rather quickly! Furthermore, I don't believe there is a test for bath salts, or spice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
You really need to seek professional help. Forget marijuana, it's your inability to pragmatically and logically interpret reality.

I'm being serious. I won't even refute anything you say, because you being uninformed is not the issue, it's your thought process and lack of grasp of reality, which can only be corrected with treatment.
You will have to excuse Finn, he has been watching too much "Reefer Madness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess we are pretty much done here.

Let's recap: Marijuana users are criminals in most states, and marijuana use is proven to cause mental illness, psychosis and violent episodes. Marijuana is addictive, and marijuana causes serious heart disease and deadly arrhythmia. Decriminalization in Portugal led to increased use.

And that is a problem, why? It's still a safer alternative for medicinal purposes than a lot of the Big Pharma crap, and it is safer as an intoxicant than alcohol, or other intoxicants!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
not all laws are just.. why should millions of law abiding citizens not do something they enjoy just because a few don't like it.. if they made eating beef illegal tomorrow, would you give that up.. just because a few people in high places make it a law?
I've been saying this for quite some time. Criminalizing people and ruining their lives for consuming a GOD given plant is immoral! It's been here, and has had many uses for thousands of years, yet it is because some special interest groups who felt threatened by it's benefits, because they couldn't come up with something better, and had to whine to the government is why it's illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Oh.My.God. I so wish I could be like you some day.

Please, teach me how to turn off any and all neuroreceptors which link portions of my brain responsible for free-thinking and scrutiny, and rewire it for complacency and assimilation, so I can put my tail between my legs and allow a handful of society to tell me how I should live.

Get some sleep, wake up, and re-think your life.
Ahhh.... gotta love the "go along to get along" crowd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Adults in a suposedly free country should be able to do pretty much whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
Exactly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
73,524 posts, read 39,482,628 times
Reputation: 13594
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
He could have smoked the "MAR-CHU-HUANA" 4 days ago Finn!!! The THC molecule stays in your system for 30 days! Other substances flush out rather quickly! Furthermore, I don't believe there is a test for bath salts, or spice.
You mean they flushed out after he died? How exactly would that be possible?

The guy was shot dead at the scene while under the influence, so it does not matter how fast the spice or the salts flush out, because a dead body does not flush anything out. They did not find spice or salts, they found pot. And yes, there are tests for both spice and salts and I already provided the info about those tests.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM
 
Location: In a place with little freedom (aka USA)
712 posts, read 1,286,285 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
marijuana was outlawed in this country and prohibition has been in full force every since.
The main reason of it's illegality was because HUGE drug companies and lobbyists not being able to make money from the marijuana industry. They were able to gain a good percentage of profit (selling it legally) after it was made illegal. But obviously the so called war on drugs is going nowhere.

The other reason is taxes. The government has not figured out the right way to put a lid on this and keep everyone happy. Once they figure it out, the tax part is probably ready to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,896 posts, read 10,801,290 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean they flushed out after he died? How exactly would that be possible?

The guy was shot dead at the scene while under the influence, so it does not matter how fast the spice or the salts flush out, because a dead body does not flush anything out. They did not find spice or salts, they found pot. And yes, there are tests for both spice and salts and I already provided the info about those tests.

We get it Finn! You hate pot! Therefore, everyone else should! Isn't that the typical authoritarian attitude? Nevermind the numerous other substances legal and illegal that are much more dangerous! So, you don't partake! That doesn't mean you get to tell others what they can and cannot consume or do with their bodies, REGARDLESS of your moral compass!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: In a place with little freedom (aka USA)
712 posts, read 1,286,285 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We get it Finn! You hate pot! Therefore, everyone else should! Isn't that the typical authoritarian attitude? Nevermind the numerous other substances legal and illegal that are much more dangerous! So, you don't partake! That doesn't mean you get to tell others what they can and cannot consume or do with their bodies, REGARDLESS of your moral compass!
I agree with you. I will add that he's powerless, but unfortunately so are the rest of us. If one feels strongly about something, all one can do is suggest. No one is going to listen anyway
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Florida
73,524 posts, read 39,482,628 times
Reputation: 13594
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We get it Finn! You hate pot!
Correcting your false claims doesn't mean I "hate" anything. If you want to build a case, build it on a foundation of facts and truth, or it is doomed to fail. Maybe that's why pot remains illegal today. No one has been able to come up with an honest and persuasive argument to legalize it. All we hear is spin, lies and half-truths.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-30-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
 
3,846 posts, read 2,129,440 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I posted references to several dozen medical studies on this thread which prove the claims. Read and weep.
You left out all of the studies on prescription drugs and vaccines.

This seems one-sided and possibly biased in favor of the harmful drugs of your choice.

Why would you have such an overall general drug bias?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top