Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times

Advertisements

People are finally getting a voice, in regards to what they put in their bodies. Being that most of the US and World population lives in Cities, and does not have the option of growing their own food. It is even more important that greed doesn't infest our very existence. As everything Eats!

Monsanto has been determined to undermine nature and think their god's in the lab, can do better.

Fight the good fight and let choice be given to the consumer.

There are ballot measure to have honest labeling. Vote your conscience.

If you like to trust in man to feed you whatever they concoct.... then vote to have no right of choice.
If you don't trust in man to feed you what they profit from... then vote to be informed.

It's that simple. Information is power. If Monsanto is the new god of nature... then i think we are doomed.

You may not feel that way. I do!

» Is The End of Monsanto Near? Prop 37 Succeeding as Nations Ban GMO Crops Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
heh. i guess you're doomed, then

GMO labeling efforts change course after California defeat | Reuters

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I can't figure this one out, that CA voters don't want to know what they're eating (but they did vote to raise taxes).

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The voters were scared off by the threat of extremely high food prices which those labels would have caused.

They said the same of COOL but prices did not rise.

If your food product has corn or soy in it, then it's GMO.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I can't figure this one out, that CA voters don't want to know what they're eating (but they did vote to raise taxes).
If you don't like to know what you're eating, don't read the labels. I never understood why people have an aversion to information. It's just a label.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM

198 posts, read 468,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The voters were scared off by the threat of extremely high food prices which those labels would have caused.

They said the same of COOL but prices did not rise.

If your food product has corn or soy in it, then it's GMO.
To be fair, while about 90% of domestic soy is GMO, only about 70% of domestic corn is.

But pretty much every Coke, every premade salad dressing, BBQ sauce, ketchup, etc. is going to have GMO in it. We've been consuming GMOs like crazy for decades now.

While I support honest labeling, as someone with a degree in Biotechnology, I hate the paranoid anti-science culture surrounding much of the debates about it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
To be fair, while about 90% of domestic soy is GMO, only about 70% of domestic corn is.

But pretty much every Coke, every premade salad dressing, BBQ sauce, ketchup, etc. is going to have GMO in it. We've been consuming GMOs like crazy for decades now.

While I support honest labeling, as someone with a degree in Biotechnology, I hate the paranoid anti-science culture surrounding much of the debates about it.
If you opt for the organic couterparts of the products that you list, you can avoid the GMO's. Labeling on these products is very clear and obvious. The distinctly read NO GMO's. Nowadays, practically everything on the commercial food shelves can be purchased without GMO's if you buy from the alternative producers.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Lets not let the real world disrupt the anti-GMO "organic is much healthier" kiddies:

Stanford Scientists Cast Doubt on Advantages of Organic Meat and Produce

Stanford University scientists have weighed in on the “maybe not” side of the debate after an extensive examination of four decades of research comparing organic and conventional foods.

They concluded that fruits and vegetables labeled organic were, on average, no more nutritious than their conventional counterparts, which tend to be far less expensive. Nor were they any less likely to be contaminated by dangerous bacteria like E. coli.

The researchers also found no obvious health advantages to organic meats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/04/sc...d-produce.html

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
BTW, even worse than being GMO, almost all corn and corn products nowadays also have systemic pesticides in 'em. The pesticide actually becomes a part of the entire plant as it grows, so it affects whatever part the insect, or other organism, takes in (including in humans... where it becomes "cumulative").

Systemic pesticides are also slowly being implicated worldwide in sudden bee die-offs (aka, Colony collapse disorder).

Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Europe has rejected GM foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies