Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The Book, does not twist the teaching of Christ...people do.
Fair enough. The interpretation of the book and the church twist the teachings of Christ. It's delta between Christ and the church is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
What book does the President put his left hand on when he takes the oath of office. Who is he "swearing to"?
Would it have been a Mormon Bible if Romney were elected? And if this nation grows up to actually elect an openly atheist or Muslim or a Hindu... would it still be a Bible to secure such oath? Why?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nationalization of "God" is not an example of "free exercise". Free exercise is for individuals, whether they worship a God, or Goddess, or no God/Goddess at all. First Amendment, the idea of separation of religion and government, is to protect every individual's right, not to have everyone subscribe to a collective idea.
I may be wrong here, so I'm just checking....doesn't it say, "A" religion. As in one. As in one. Not as in religion a whole or many.

When the chains begin to hurt...where are you going to go to be free again?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Fair enough. The interpretation of the book and the church twist the teachings of Christ. It's delta between Christ and the church is amazing.
Something else, which I'm finding is just of my own opinion but, it was politics that hung Christ.

Think about the choices that were made, how it was He landed up on the cross;why and whose face was saved by the people. The people made their choice and they will choose the same path again...and there is no Moses (I know old testament, but it still works) to set his people free, and if they are to be set free today....where are they going to go, what land is there to go to...?

Amendments to our Constitution all reflect choices that are being taken away, however, it is but by choice these liberties have been recanted.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I may be wrong here, so I'm just checking....doesn't it say, "A" religion. As in one. As in one. Not as in religion a whole or many.

When the chains begin to hurt...where are you going to go to be free again?
No, it doesn't use "a" for religion, rather for "an" establishment as a driver. The idea is as clear as there can be: protect the individual beliefs. Government should not be in the business of promoting and sponsoring certain religious belief, and "God" represents that.

Would you be okay if the slogan were changed to: One Nation under Goddess?

There is ABSOLUTELY no need to push ANY kind of religiosity (or lack of) as a collective. In fact, doing so, goes against the very grain this idea we see as first amendment was put in place for.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Not going to get much support since congress start sessions with prayer.Ecvery president has started his presidency with his statements on his faith just has Obama did.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not going to get much support since congress start sessions with prayer.Ecvery president has started his presidency with his statements on his faith just has Obama did.
Collectivism leading to a mob mentality, usually has its way. If religion couldn't be used to such great effects, there would be no need to advertise your politics with religiosity slobbered all over it.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't use "a" for religion, rather for "an" establishment as a driver. The idea is as clear as there can be: protect the individual beliefs. Government should not be in the business of promoting and sponsoring certain religious belief, and "God" represents that.

Would you be okay if the slogan were changed to: One Nation under Goddess?

There is ABSOLUTELY no need to push ANY kind of religiosity (or lack of) as a collective. In fact, doing so, goes against the very grain this idea we see as first amendment was put in place for.
No, I wouldn't be okay with Goddess, because that reflects Greece. I know we are headed down their path economically speaking...

I also know, that God was placed on our currency as a 'presentation' one in which all countries would be comfortable with and so now, we wish to change that. Why?

The original culture this country was founded on, is no longer acceptable. Again, why is that.

I know where this path leads, that is why I caution, it's not like I'm going to stop people from taking it as I also, believe we're intended to take the path. We are repetitive and living comfortable without tribulations in our lives, well that's just unheard of...so we create turbulence, least we get board with comfort.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Would it have been a Mormon Bible if Romney were elected? And if this nation grows up to actually elect an openly atheist or Muslim or a Hindu... would it still be a Bible to secure such oath? Why?
Errr, Mormons read the same Bible other Christians do...

Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Errr, Mormons read the same Bible other Christians do...
You must be unaware of the "amendments".

Do you read the "Book of Mormons"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies