Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Here's the thing about All in the Family. Archie Bunker was a blowhard, but he did have a heart, and he would admit he was wrong once in a while. And as much as he liked to put down meathead, they all had to get along in the end. That is why I don't buy all this ranting about RINO, threatening secession,etc. We will never all agree, not even in the same family, but we have to treat each other with compassion when the chips are down. The rhetoric I have read here some days seems closer to a KKK rally than All in the Family, that is not anything to be proud of.
In the end Archie was a decent man, and quite lovable. I remember one episode when he confronted White Supremacists and told them that there are more people like Archie then there are Klan members. The Klan members asked, "what do you mean people like you" Archie responded "Us Blacks"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes archie bunker the stereotyped baboon white man that we all love to laugh at. a smash success but then NBC did it again.
then carole turned around and ran the tv series
in the heat of the night, a shameful rip off of sidney portie's award winning film but still the copy cat ran for 8 years.
but carolle plays a totally different character than the original heat in the night chief with rod steiger. carolle depictes the sympathetic apologetic white man sheriff and his compassionate empathetic deputy dedicated to defending educated enlighted professional black people who for some reason loved to dwell in backward small southern towns where all the bad guys are 100% white.
i like archie bunker but he seems to be all too much the white face clown that knows what his audience loves to hear and plays it well.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-30-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have you ever heard of pure entertainment: that is what the program was about. Now days, I think most programs do have an agenda, in the 70s I think TV was for pure enjoyment or at least that is how we saw it. We didn't go around reading anything into TV, we just sat back and enjoyed the 30 minutes of laughs. Of course civil rights and women's rights were part of the culture, they still are, but we were not trying to get our point across, either way by what was being shown on TV.
TV was innocent moreso than now. I think All in the Family did make comedy/drama out of the issues of the day, its what was going on. I do agree with you it was entertainment. When I watch Archie on the reruns, I notice how much 3 Stooges humor happens, where Archie and the Meathead both try to go thru the front door at the same time, or they sometimes knock something by accident into the other's head, its like 3 stooges humor I also like how Edith speaks up for herself, like when Archie told her to stifle, she said it back to him. So much humor.

Now, there are some reality shows on now that are not even funny, but they do have some kind of power to draw the person in, which I equate to watching a train wreck. to me, I dont have that kind of sense of humor or interest, so the Real Housewives of ___ (fill in the blank) turn me off. I dont care for that lifestyle. Nor can i relate to it.

So sadz, Carol Oconnor, only about 20 years after All in the Family, suffered a heart attack, and is not with us anymore.. so sadz

Old 06-01-2013, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
TV was innocent moreso than now. I think All in the Family did make comedy/drama out of the issues of the day, its what was going on. I do agree with you it was entertainment. When I watch Archie on the reruns, I notice how much 3 Stooges humor happens, where Archie and the Meathead both try to go thru the front door at the same time, or they sometimes knock something by accident into the other's head, its like 3 stooges humor I also like how Edith speaks up for herself, like when Archie told her to stifle, she said it back to him. So much humor.

Now, there are some reality shows on now that are not even funny, but they do have some kind of power to draw the person in, which I equate to watching a train wreck. to me, I dont have that kind of sense of humor or interest, so the Real Housewives of ___ (fill in the blank) turn me off. I dont care for that lifestyle. Nor can i relate to it.

So sadz, Carol Oconnor, only about 20 years after All in the Family, suffered a heart attack, and is not with us anymore.. so sadz
oh, I do agree they took the issues and made it into comedy, but we also took this with a grain of salt and didn't see it quite that way nor did most of us change our minds based on a Sat night comedy that we all loved and laughed at. This could be said about the Mary Tyler Moore show as well. It was based on the success of a single women in the big city and showed can make in on their own, but we just enjoyed watching and smiling for 1/2 hour.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
We all laughed at Archie's ignorance. The racism was brought to us, like ignorance and we could all laugh at ourselves.
No one can laugh at themselves, these days. It is all serious and personal. You have to be all politically correct, even when trying to get a laugh.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Today's tea party would label Archie Bunker a leftist.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We all laughed at Archie's ignorance. The racism was brought to us, like ignorance and we could all laugh at ourselves.
No one can laugh at themselves, these days. It is all serious and personal. You have to be all politically correct, even when trying to get a laugh.
good post and good point.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Edith has passed away at age 90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Stapleton

Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead;29762650

Carol O'Connor was actually an educated liberal. The whole thing was a great farce.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_O'Connor"
Carroll O'Connor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
So in essence O'Connor was a classic troll.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So in essence O'Connor was a classic troll.
lol. Never having the sense to know people were laughing at him, not with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies