Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Link? Reference?
the other poster is correct. The insurance companies will pay the government reinbursement rate for UCR

Negotiating Medical Payment with your Doctor

And most insurance companies dont even pay the full rate, they pay a percentile of the posted rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Not true. It depends on the clinical evaluation code level, of which there are five. Medicare rates are quite low and do not reflect regular insurance rates.
While the medicare rates are quite low, this is what insurance companies base their reinbursement rates off of. They actually buy cd's with pricing codes based on zip code.

Thats the problem we're seeing today, medicare isnt paying enough, so insurance companies arent paying "their fair share", leaving the cash payer to pickup the difference, which of course they cant usually since its often such an inflated bill that people just choose not to pay.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no such thing as a catastrophic policy; hasn't been for many years. What exists is high-deductible policies. IME, people with those policies try to get their dr's to prescribe over the phone, and get other services by phone instead of making an office visit.
There actually was until recently. I carried one for almost a decade until Obamacare pretty much banned them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yes I"m sure you just have $800,000.00 laying around so that you can get a heart transplant anytime you want.

Its not about "someone else" paying our bills. Its about insurance helping to defer costs of medical services that only the rich can afford.
Thats what insurance was intended to be fore. Bills you cant afford. Not routine doctor visits

Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
People don't realize that is what health insurance is for, the little stuff are things that anyone could pay out of pocket, even if it cost more than a co-pay.
I remember a thread around here discussing how insurance should pickup the tab for routine doctor visits using the argument that if people paid out of pocket, they wouldnt go and we need people to go because a healthy society is cheaper..

Now all of a sudden, the left wing kook argument is, well if you cant afford it, die..

What a weird 180 degree flip you guys have made/..

Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
They'll work with you, I'm sure.
Aw, you're adorable. Can I have whatever you're having? It might make me sleep better at night about my fear of paying for a relapse.

I had $6000 in the bank when I was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. Even with insurance, I cleared out my savings in under 2 months and went into serious debt. There isn't enough charity care to cover everyone - and when I wanted to drop to part time at my job under doctor's order, I couldn't because it would jeopardize not only my insurance, but my ability to pay for rent (living with roommates - I wasn't going crazy here) and medications.

Few people can attempt to pay out of pocket for chronic or acute illness.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Funny how many dont mind seeing the their health care dollars go to support a billing beuracracy instead the actual care

Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
The voice of experience trumps "I'm sure".

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Aw, you're adorable. Can I have whatever you're having? It might make me sleep better at night about my fear of paying for a relapse.

I had $6000 in the bank when I was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. Even with insurance, I cleared out my savings in under 2 months and went into serious debt. There isn't enough charity care to cover everyone - and when I wanted to drop to part time at my job under doctor's order, I couldn't because it would jeopardize not only my insurance, but my ability to pay for rent (living with roommates - I wasn't going crazy here) and medications.

Few people can attempt to pay out of pocket for chronic or acute illness.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Why isn't this done more often?

People can still pay with insurance - just send them the receipts afterward.

Way, way too simple for the Brave New World Obama wants us in today, maybe.

-----------------------------------------

Doctor stops accepting insurance, lowers prices and posts costs online

Doctor stops accepting insurance, lowers prices and posts costs online

By Mike Krumboltz

A family practice doctor in Maine is refusing all forms of health insurance, including Medicare, in order, he says, to provide better service to his patients.

Dr. Michael Ciampi told the Bangor Daily News that he wants to practice medicine without being dictated to by insurance companies.

On April 1, Ciampi lowered his prices and posted the costs online. For example, an office visit in which patients discuss "one issue of moderate complexity or 2-3 simple issues" costs $75. When Ciampi accepted insurance, the visit would run $160, according to the Bangor Daily News.

The fact that Ciampi lists the prices, he says, means no surprises for his patients.

Say you're an established patient who can't make it to the doctor's office but wish to speak to him over the phone? A 10-minute conversation will run you $20. Each additional five-minute block will cost you $10. A minor surgery, like the draining of a boil will cost between $100 and $150.

Dr. Ciampi told the paper that some patients have left his practice, but that all seem to understand what motivated him to make the change.

Via the Banger Daily News:

Insurance companies no longer dictate how much he charges. He can offer discounts to patients struggling with their medical bills.

He can make house calls. "I’m freed up to do what I think is right for the patients," Ciampi said. "If I’m providing them a service that they value, they can pay me, and we cut the insurance out as the middleman and cut out a lot of the expense."

Ciampi told the paper that he collects payment at the end of each session (he doesn't send bills), and he sees each patient himself. Patients with insurance can submit their receipts to their insurance company for reimbursement, if the insurance company allows for that, according to Ciampi's family practice site.
We don't charge for phone calls at our office. What a huckster!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
And what if they won't, seems like a big risk to take if you have a heart attack. Something that pricey, I would want the money up front, it would suck if you died before paying them and there was no way for them to get the money for trying to treat you.

Then what would you do in that situation?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I remember a thread around here discussing how insurance should pickup the tab for routine doctor visits using the argument that if people paid out of pocket, they wouldnt go and we need people to go because a healthy society is cheaper..

Now all of a sudden, the left wing kook argument is, well if you cant afford it, die..

What a weird 180 degree flip you guys have made/..
The person who made the claim that if you can't afford it, die, is a right wing voter...try to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies