Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 PM

258 posts, read 238,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I can't believe McDonald's is still in business. If people were smart, they would market healthy fast food.
Someone wealthy like Bill Gates could set up something like this for charity

Truth is they don't really care about the masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 620 times
Default special juice

Hi,
There's healthy items on all menus, and lots of people choose any healthy item for eg carrot juice because it is the best of human eyes.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Good Lord she's only 9. Why all the contempt towards a little girl

Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
Maybe this kids parents should teach their kid that its the parents responsibility not the companies. Its not the company who picks what you eat. But of course the kids parents who put her up to it, are probably liberal morons.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I wasn't sure if I should post this in economics, health, food, or here in controversies.

9-Year-Old Asks McDonald's CEO To Stop Marketing To Children: 'Don't You Want Kids To Be Healthy?' | ThinkProgress

I'd like to know what you would do if YOU were the CEO of a major fast food chain, and what you would have said to this little girl? How would you balance your responsibility to share holders / franchise owners with an ever-growing concern about children's health and obesity? Is junk food so deeply entrenched into our culture that there is no turning back?
I think it is the parents responsibility. I haven't seen anyone from any fast food restaurant forcing their menus on folks in my lifetime.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
In all seriousness, who goes to Mc Donald's to eat healthy? I mean, c'mon! When I eat at McDonalds its similar to a night of drinking, just once in awhile when you need a break from life.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
My response:

"It's a free market kid. You or your family don't want to eat here fine. We have 9 billion other people on this planet that we can market to."

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
My response:

"It's a free market kid. You or your family don't want to eat here fine. We have 9 billion other people on this planet that we can market to."
That's just it, these people think it's up to them to save the other 9 billion by painting chains like McDonald's as evil. In reality, of course, they're only hurting them by teaching them to blame their actions (Yes, going to McDonald's is first and foremost their action) on someone else.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
You can be healthy as a horse, even eating McDonalds every single day of the week. Who cares what that little snot-nose thinks?
considering a horse has a lifespan of about 30 years, i think you're exactly right.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't take comments from 9 year olds about adult issues seriously. They are just parroting what their parents have said.
Maybe the kids you know aren't capable of personal intellectual though on their own, but I know quite a few kids in this area, even younger than this girl that have formed their own opinions of various topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Good for her! I can't believe some of the comments on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think a lot of people are missing the point of the article. I would assume that the family in this article does avoid McDonald's, but the fact remains that McDs heavily markets to children. Not all children have parents who know (or care) about nutrition, so these kids grow up hooked on the junk food that has been pushed on them via advertisements, toys, and other gimmicks.

Cigarette companies are not allowed to market to children, but junk food and fast food companies are. It's that marketing which was the point of the girl's presentation.

And I get that the girl was steered this direction by her mother. It doesn't make her a "brat" and it doesn't mean there is no merit in what she said. I can't believe how many people slammed this little girl, without bothering to address the questions I asked in my OP. And yes, I get that Walmart and other places sell a lot of junk food too. The marketing of that junk to children is worth discussing as well.
Bravo and well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
The CEO of Macds could not give a rats about any child - all he cares about is profit, profit and profit!

if he could make money from a cancer inducing chemical put into the burgers he would be all the more merry.
Ever seen "Supersize Me"? McDonalds DOES introduce chemicals into their food that creates addictions, and only their bottled water and diet soda DON'T have added sugars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The "child" isn't questioning anything. Her selfish parents put her up to it.
Proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Can't rep you again, but most mature people realize: 1-some adult ;put her up to this: 2-she doesn't have clue or doesn't care about business and profits and 3-there is a time and place for kids to be heard and a 9 year old isn't grown up enough to even understand this, much less ask the questions. If a jr in highschool had asked I would understand a lot more.
Again, maybe some of the children you know aren't capable of it, but I know kids that are. It's not hard to look around a see what goes on in your world, and think some of it isn't right, and question it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies