Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I have no love for McDonald's - I don't consider fast "food" to be anything worthy of ingestion by humans.

But it's also pretty low to set your nine year-old up for these kinds of political gimmicks.

Just be a decent parent and boycott fast food, and hopefully then places like McDonald's would go bankrupt (and good riddance).
Yeah, people shouldn't get their kids to do their political work, whether it's anti junk food or the prolife nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

But it's also pretty low to set your nine year-old up for these kinds of political gimmicks.
This could have easily been the result of propaganda from school...would you still agree that it is low?

I mean, why should McDonalds go bankrupt because many Americans can't pry themselves away from the drive thru?

There are millions of people in this country who enjoy McDonalds in moderation and lead perfectly healthy lives.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
This could have easily been the result of propaganda from school...would you still agree that it is low?

I mean, why should McDonalds go bankrupt because many Americans can't pry themselves away from the drive thru?

There are millions of people in this country who enjoy McDonalds in moderation and lead perfectly healthy lives.
Exactly, they are not fat, they are big boned.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:18 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I'd love to reply, but I couldn't get the Think Progress pop up banner to close so that I could read the article.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Because the world won't work if everyone is selling fresh fruit and vegetables.

Now, if the CEO of McDonalds was FORCING people to eat unhealthy food this would be a problem and the kid would have a point. The kid has no point however and, being a kid, is oblivious to that fact.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think a lot of people are missing the point of the article. I would assume that the family in this article does avoid McDonald's, but the fact remains that McDs heavily markets to children. Not all children have parents who know (or care) about nutrition, so these kids grow up hooked on the junk food that has been pushed on them via advertisements, toys, and other gimmicks.
I would agree with you, except for the fact that kids generally have no chance of eating McDonald's (or at least not enough to get hooked) unless their parents take them. It's not like with TV's influence, which is also a debatable matter. The influence cannot even take place without the parent making it a point to drive them up there and buy the food on a semi-regular basis.

Maybe a lot of people at McDonald's see it the same way. They recognize that, while they do market to kids, it's the parents who choose just how often the kids eat from there.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Kids should ask if their parents if they want them to be healthy.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Kids should ask if their parents if they want them to be healthy.
Standard parent's response: "Ask McDonald's, dear. They're the ones making the food and offering it to you through the television set. I'm just buying it for you, because what other choice do I have?"

Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure if I should post this in economics, health, food, or here in controversies.

9-Year-Old Asks McDonald's CEO To Stop Marketing To Children: 'Don't You Want Kids To Be Healthy?' | ThinkProgress

I'd like to know what you would do if YOU were the CEO of a major fast food chain, and what you would have said to this little girl? How would you balance your responsibility to share holders / franchise owners with an ever-growing concern about children's health and obesity? Is junk food so deeply entrenched into our culture that there is no turning back?
I'd explain to the little girl how healthy eating starts with personal responsibility. Eat McDonalds one day a week as a treat and then go exercise. You can easily eat McDonalds and be healthy.....just takes personal responsibility.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure if I should post this in economics, health, food, or here in controversies.

9-Year-Old Asks McDonald's CEO To Stop Marketing To Children: 'Don't You Want Kids To Be Healthy?' | ThinkProgress

I'd like to know what you would do if YOU were the CEO of a major fast food chain, and what you would have said to this little girl? How would you balance your responsibility to share holders / franchise owners with an ever-growing concern about children's health and obesity? Is junk food so deeply entrenched into our culture that there is no turning back?

As the CEO, I would have asked the kid (the question was obviously planted by his liberal parents) why he does not have the discipline to control his eating habits.

Are cookies, cakes, bacon, and snack foods evil? No- they were around when I was a kid and few people were fat.

We are in an age in which no one accepts personal responsibility (see the recent Obama administration revelations of "not knowing" anything). That kid should be spanked and sent to bed without a Big Mac and fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies