Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would have told her that eating a hamburger, french fries, and milkshake on occasion is perfectly fine.
And most real nutritionists, as in those with an MS in nutrition, would agree.

Fast food: Tips for choosing healthier options - MayoClinic.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I wasn't sure if I should post this in economics, health, food, or here in controversies.

9-Year-Old Asks McDonald's CEO To Stop Marketing To Children: 'Don't You Want Kids To Be Healthy?' | ThinkProgress

I'd like to know what you would do if YOU were the CEO of a major fast food chain, and what you would have said to this little girl? How would you balance your responsibility to share holders / franchise owners with an ever-growing concern about children's health and obesity? Is junk food so deeply entrenched into our culture that there is no turning back?
First of all, a nine year old who would ask a question like this, was probably put up to it by her parents, but that isn't the point: A simple answer: I appreciate your concern and I hope you enjoy eating healthy foods, while at the same time, occasionally enjoying a splurge, eating just something that is fun. Something like that, because it is true; we can all eat healthy and yet, just have something yummy once in awhile without doing any damage to our bodies.

Now, as for junk foods, you sound like you are blaming the fast food providers, who about blaming the parents for starters? Yes, there is way too much fast food and yes, sugar is the number one ingredient in so many things, but lack of exercise is also the cause of our obesity, whether as children or adults. how many kids do you see out riding their bikes, walking to school, playing hide and seek or hop scotch? How many schools have cut recess and P.E. from their daily programing? How many mommies and daddies drive the kids everywhere instead of telling them to use their 2 legs? I could go on and on. I wish more parents had or would find the time to cook healthy meals and not stop at the fast food places several times a week, but I still do not blame the restaurants.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure if I should post this in economics, health, food, or here in controversies.

9-Year-Old Asks McDonald's CEO To Stop Marketing To Children: 'Don't You Want Kids To Be Healthy?' | ThinkProgress

I'd like to know what you would do if YOU were the CEO of a major fast food chain, and what you would have said to this little girl? How would you balance your responsibility to share holders / franchise owners with an ever-growing concern about children's health and obesity? Is junk food so deeply entrenched into our culture that there is no turning back?
So someone is using a 9 year old child to push their own personal agenda? They must be so proud of theirself. I personally am not a fan of using children to try and guilt people into agreeing with me, but obviously not everyone feels this way.

If someone wants to eat crap and suffer the consequences, they should have every right to do so. Ron Swanson says it best:

Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I can't believe McDonald's is still in business. If people were smart, they would market healthy fast food.
You can eat anywhere you want and eat healthy. It isn't up to the restaurants or our government to hold our hands. BTW, they do market their healthy foods as well and McDonalds isn't the only fast food restaurant that sells less than healthy meals. You might be surprised, if you eat out at all, how much unhealthy food you are eating. Unless you have the funds to eat at top notch establishments you are probably eating processed foods most of the time when you dine out.

sorry, I can't agree with you on one of your responses about corp greed: a nine year old child doesn't even know what corp greed or any other kind of greed really is. In this case, I am pretty sure the parents have an agenda and they are pushing it via the kid. Let's also remember, we have choices, we make them ourselves, if we do not want to eat fast food, we do not have to, and I, personally do not think it is the place of a nine year old to being questioning a CEO or any adult truthfully...

Last edited by nmnita; 05-29-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what you would do if YOU were the CEO of a major fast food chain, and what you would have said to this little girl?
I might have suggested that parents should exercise some responsibility when it comes to what their children eat or drink and also stress that nobody forces the children, or parents to patronize one restaurant over another. Obesity is most often the byproduct of irresponsible parents. McDonalds provides products which its customers favor and some of those products are healthier to eat than others ... depending on an individual's personal health profile.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can eat anywhere you want and eat healthy. It isn't up to the restaurants or our government to hold our hands. BTW, they do market their healthy foods as well and McDonalds isn't the only fast food restaurant that sells less than healthy meals. You might be surprised, if you eat out at all, how much unhealthy food you are eating. Unless you have the funds to eat at top notch establishments you are probably eating processed foods most of the time when you dine out.

sorry, I can't agree with you on one of your responses about corp greed: a nine year old child doesn't even know what corp greed or any other kind of greed really is. In this case, I am pretty sure the parents have an agenda and they are pushing it via the kid. Let's also remember, we have choices, we make them ourselves, if we do not want to eat fast food, we do not have to, and I, personally do not think it is the place of a nine year old to being questioning a CEO or any adult truthfully...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I would have easily answered, "Fast food, which is what we provide, is not meant to be breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis, but an alternative when you are hungry and simply want something to eat that is tasty, and fills you up. We offer a mix of foods, and various healthy alternatives to from apples to salads, fruit juices, milk, oatmeal, and other offerings based on location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would have told her that eating a hamburger, french fries, and milkshake on occasion is perfectly fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

There are millions of people in this country who enjoy McDonalds in moderation and lead perfectly healthy lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'd explain to the little girl how healthy eating starts with personal responsibility. Eat McDonalds one day a week as a treat and then go exercise. You can easily eat McDonalds and be healthy.....just takes personal responsibility.
Good responses (and respectful too, thank you).

When I posted this, it wasn't because I'm anti-McD's, or that I don't understand that it is the PARENTS who make the food choices for their children, or that I'm trying to be the Nutrition Nazi.

I posted it because I believe no one can seriously deny that there is a health/obesity problem in our country, and I think it's a topic worth discussing. It's not just because of fast food, but because of ALL the "quasi food" that kids are growing up on. Pop-Tarts, Lunchables, potato chips, chocolate cereal, soda, Ding-Dongs. Yes, I understand that PARENTS control these choices.....but their kids grow up, and after decades of eating junk, their taste buds and brains are conditioned to crave those things. We live in a nation that eats a lot of cr*p, and too much of it. If YOU don't fall into that category, great, I'm not talking about you. But we ALL pay the price for that in terms of health problems, health care costs, lost productivity, and the heartbreak of seeing people we love suffer. Maybe you think I'm overboard, but I do worry about these things, and what future generations will look like if the trend continues.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Good responses (and respectful too, thank you).

When I posted this, it wasn't because I'm anti-McD's, or that I don't understand that it is the PARENTS who make the food choices for their children, or that I'm trying to be the Nutrition Nazi.

I posted it because I believe no one can seriously deny that there is a health/obesity problem in our country, and I think it's a topic worth discussing. It's not just because of fast food, but because of ALL the "quasi food" that kids are growing up on. Pop-Tarts, Lunchables, potato chips, chocolate cereal, soda, Ding-Dongs. Yes, I understand that PARENTS control these choices.....but their kids grow up, and after decades of eating junk, their taste buds and brains are conditioned to crave those things. We live in a nation that eats a lot of cr*p, and too much of it. If YOU don't fall into that category, great, I'm not talking about you. But we ALL pay the price for that in terms of health problems, health care costs, lost productivity, and the heartbreak of seeing people we love suffer. Maybe you think I'm overboard, but I do worry about these things, and what future generations will look like if the trend continues.
I wonder though, not knowing your age, if you realize all the snacks you mentioned have been around for close to 50 years. In the 60s and 70s our kids were occasionally treated to Ding Dongs, chips, Pop-Tarts, etc. Even in the 50s and before, some of this existed or similar things. Yes, there is more sugar in foods than there used to be; no one is denying this, but it still boils down to outside activities, yes, eating healthy and parents finding time to make sure kids eat well balanced meals.

You say you were not trying to play Nutrition Nazi, but that isn't how it sounded. And yes, I still feel the little girl was out of line.

Oh, I will add, my kids as well as eating crap from time to time, learned good eating habits and still use them. Of course I was a stay at home mom for most to their childhood and I also majored in foods and nutrition. That did help...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Hand the little brat a Happy Meal and say, "Get your butt out on the playground. Toss your iPad, PSP3, Xbox, or whatever else you are playing in the garbage. Stand up in front of your class and lead them in exercise. Lead by example. And if I EVER catch you in any fast food establishment, or eating anything unhealthy, Santa Clause is bringing you coal. Now get out of my face. My private jet is warming up. I have a date with Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders at 9. All of them."
Couldn't rep you for this. Spot on!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
For all of the people who seemed to have missed the obvious: The "child" is questioning corporate greed versus decent, life-sustaining values.
The "child" isn't questioning anything. Her selfish parents put her up to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies