Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Put EVERYONE in a high risk group. People who don't use their seatbelts, people who drink alcohol, people who ride bikes, people who go zip-lining, people who ski, people who roller-blade, people who don't exercise, people who eat lots of meat, people who jaywalk, people who have had speeding tickets, people who like to go rock-climbing, people who go target-shooting, etc, etc, etc.
Higher rates for everybody!
If you had a true free market based insurance system you could have such a tailored insurance for such things. However, there's a large number of people who'd rather have. One size fits all system where everyone pays, even the people who try to live healthy and safe and excersize as much as possible.

What group do you fit in (notice there's no question mark).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
They keep adding to the list of who should be paying higher rates for insurance because of being in a higher risk group, like obesity and tobacco use, so will we see homosexuals paying higher premiums since they are at increased risk for both physical and mental health issues due to lifestyle factors? Lesbian and bisexual health fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/05/h...xual-behavior/
The American Journal of Public Health Highlights Risks of Homosexual Practices

I realize that this may be offensive to some but the reality is the same as for other high risk groups. I have worked hard to avoid health issues and especially those I am aware might impact myself or my family and we grew tired of supporting all of those with higher premiums who are irresponsible with their health choices.
You should then consider obtaining insurance through a right wing organization. Like maybe Bachman and Associates. Aetna is another.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I don't see any reason why Insurance companies should not be able to rate the risk of insuring their customers for any and every reason. Men have been paying higher rates on auto and life insurance for years. Why does anyone deserve preferential rates?
I think people have the concept of insurance backwards. Insurance isn't there to tell you what to do with your life, it's there to provide a backdrop for something like a death, a medical condition or to protect an asset or personal belonging.

Should my insurance rates be the same for my Honda Civic as it is for Richy Rich's Ferrari? Should my insurance cost the same if all I need when I pass is $250,000 to pay for funeral expenses and debts when I pass as opposed to Richy Rich's 3 $4 million homes on the lake, beach and mountain and who has a large family that will need millions to sustain their lifestyle if be passes?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well the OP did not bring up mental health. The risks are physical - much more than mental.

Mental health risks from homophobia?? I ain't buying it. Especially the way they are lifted up amongst the media.

Should insurance companies ask about sexual preferences (not activities). Why not? Gay people want to compare their situation to civil rights? Have a box on the form... Race - white, black, hispanic... Sex - male, female... Sexual Preference - straight, gay, bi...

Lesbians? Do a study. If it's safer than gay men activities - sure, give them a lesbian discount.

EDIT: Mental health was brought up by the OP - just not in relation to homophobia.
Good point...

Anal sex – People participating in anal sex, both men and women, are at increased risk.

Sexually transmitted diseases – Patients with multiple sex partners are at higher risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases like HPV and HIV and are, therefore, at an increased risk of developing anal cancer.

Smoking - Harmful chemicals from smoking increases the risk of most cancers, including anal cancer.

Anal Cancer

Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
These are easily circumvented though...

Sir, do you sleep with multiple partners?

"no"

Sir, are you gay?

"no"

Heyyyy.....I KNEW the reason gay marriage agenda had NOTHING to do with equality...

Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you had a true free market based insurance system you could have such a tailored insurance for such things. However, there's a large number of people who'd rather have. One size fits all system where everyone pays, even the people who try to live healthy and safe and excersize as much as possible.

What group do you fit in (notice there's no question mark).
I don't need to buy insurance. I'm Canadian. Our healthcare system treats everyone equally.
(I thought I'd answer you anyway).

Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Equally terribly...

Old 05-30-2013, 02:47 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
This is a valid discussion? What's next...blacks and American Indians pay more because of the higher rates of hypertension and diabetes? Women under 45 because they can still get pregnant? Good luck with that.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Simply put, homophobes will look for anything to justify their bigotry. Do they never get tired of having their asses handed to them everytime?

Kudos to those that posted logical arguments. Hint OP, get a life.
You need to read to the articles. Plus, "homophobe" is an inappropriate term since people do not fear homosexuals. You need to look at the statistics. Homosexuality was considered a mental health issue for years not so much based on one's same-sex attraction but all of the mental health issues that are involved. And, for those that read the articles, they are aware that even in countries where the negative stigma has been removed, suicide rates did not decrease.

Using the word "homophobe" and accusing anyone who doesn't embrace homosexuality as a positive and wonderful thing of being a closeted homosexual is childish behavior. The facts are the facts.

I feel for those people who do not realize the many and varied side effects of the lifestyle. Anal sex for either homo or hetero couples has dire effects not only anal cancer but later in life losing the ability to hold one's feces. I know it is easier to not think about the negative effects.

Some smokers live very long healthy lives but that is not the norm. All women pay in a group for those who become pregnant, even infertile women. The cost of having a child doesn't compare to the cost of having HIV either not anal cancer. I'm thinking that many that posted do not realize how "risk" groups work with insurance.

Ignorance is bliss only to a point.

In states where gay "marriage" is accepted and if other states join in, there won't be a question. And, yes, you can lie about your lifestyle and many people do but that is an issue of integrity of the person lying about something. See if a man marries a man or a woman marries a woman, you aren't going to have to ask about sexual orientation now are you?

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 05-30-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Still trying to figure out why the OP or anyone is interested in the sex lives of others.
If you really want to figure it out - you may want to start asking why gay people feel it is necessary to reveal their sexual orientation.

It is pretty much in everyone's face race now. No one prompted Jason Collins to come out publicly about his sexual preference, hold news conferences, and get repeated interviews. Now it seems like every other day, some other person is "coming out".

So now that people are coming out, there will be positive reaction, and there will be negative reaction. Now that the issue is public, people who are pro-gay need to learn to deal with the fallout. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Put your big-kid pants on, look at the facts that gay behavior is risky and many people may not want to subsidize it.

The insurance question is a valid question. Gays want to come out and be public - these are the things you need to learn to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies