Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More like better late than never.

I think agencies need to do annual audits because greed, fraud and corruption occur all the time.
That would be catching it early..annual audits. Not a year after massive complaints have piled up and then uncover benefits being paid out to dead people for nearly 3 years. And offices not able to produce documents for over 30,000 EBT cards
Welfare, food stamps, SSI are electronic in many states and have to be cut off by notification to the specific state department after death, it isnt automatic... As it clearly states these people were reported dead. So a person could be dead and their bank account could be collecting the benefits. It may not be fraud or complaints, but simply a clerical error that wasnt corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Welfare, food stamps, SSI are electronic in many states and have to be cut off by notification to the specific state department after death, it isnt automatic... As it clearly states these people were reported dead. So a person could be dead and their bank account could be collecting the benefits. It may not be fraud or complaints, but simply a clerical error that wasnt corrected.
The article also stated that there was no documentation for 30,000 EBT cards issued.
Read the article. It was more than just a few dead people due to "clerical errors".

Don't be so quick to just dismiss this.
The FCC audit removed 41% of Lifeline subscribers due to them not qualifying.
That's some significant number. And that will save the taxpayers over $1 billion per year.

I'm all for annual audits by all agencies that provide social welfare benefits to make sure we keep it on the up and up.

Another big problem is that the various agencies don't all have connected computer systems.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Clerical ?

Heck, the workers didn't even verify SS numbers.
They were "self provided" and some people were double dipping by providing multiple numbers.

And, the state had the tools to verify eligibility but didn't use the tools.

Audit finds 1,164 dead among Mass. welfare recipients | Boston Herald

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
WOW!!!

AFTER their deaths?? Really?

And liberals wonder why I don't agree to raising taxes. Nothing like every day Americans working our butts off to pay for scammers.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Another one for the "when government runs things" file

Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More like better late than never.

I think agencies need to do annual audits because greed, fraud and corruption occur all the time.
That would be catching it early..annual audits. Not a year after massive complaints have piled up and then uncover benefits being paid out to dead people for nearly 3 years. And offices not able to produce documents for over 30,000 EBT cards
I agree, but audits aren't cheap and require a lot of manpower to do, but the return on investment is worth it.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Default Omg

I don't have a problem with going after ppl who are abusing the system, or scaming. The problem i have with u guys is every thread, the poor scaming, the poor this, you act like the poor are the only degenerates. Further we never talk about how poverty or homelessness has become big business for corp nonprofits. Do some research. The guys who rent for section 8 clients not only get fairmarket values for there apts but also get tax breaks, money to upgrade etc. What im saying is i wouldnt be so angry at conservatives if it wasn't such a class attack. lets be balanced in our attacks on fraud and scams of government programs, because i can point out government programs, that the rich scam etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
There is no abuse or waste in the welfare system. We need to tax the middle class and wealthy more, so we can waste mor...I mean give more to the least fortunate among us.
~said by the low information Liberal.

That's a nice strawman you built yourself there.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
It's Bush's fault and the people that are targeting the dead are racists!
I suspect this is a joke.

I once was awarded my little brothers car by court probate in Mass. My brother died of Lymes Disease.

The state of maine refused to deal with my selling my bothers car to a minister for kids to work on and fix up and raised living hell with me over the sale.

All this over a old volvo wagon I accepted a 200 dollar check for and was unable for 6 months to transfer the car.

That all ended when i searched main law and found no law concerning the dead not being able to apply and take a drivers lic test . I have family in Maine and my brother could be considered a resident.

I told Main DMV i would pay for my brothers ashes in a box to take that test pass or fail and if they refuse i would sue the state in a class action suit for all the dead past present and future.

All of a sudden Maine made it so that minister could have the car! it was a miracle When he came i wrote another check for the 200 bucks and gave him his money back.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
WOW!!!

AFTER their deaths?? Really?

"I see dead people"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies