Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 AM

40,924 posts, read 48,883,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Hopefully one day UK will have a low crime/murder rate comparable to Southern states' one... oh wait... nevermind
I'll bet the family of the hacked up soldier wishes someone had a handgun.
What they gonna do when these attacks become more common ?

Oh wait ... nevermind.... they'll just call the cops to protect themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM

46,189 posts, read 26,870,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Gun owner and life long hunter here......

I don't believe that for a second. I've spent quit a bit of time in the UK, and from what I've experienced, people over there are quite happy not having hand guns. I'm sure there are people that would like to own a hand gun in Britain, but I can assure you that it's not 80%.............LOL
I guess that is like the 90% of Americans want background checks...lol...

Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times
I have to wonder why the British and a substantial number of Americans are so scared of guns. Why? Are they afraid of being shot or having to take responsibility for having to shoot someone? Do they consider human life so sacred that they would not defend themselves or are they completely dependent on having a special segment of humanity protecting them? Or do they think that if no weapons are available everyone would stop using violence and a completely peaceful society would result because armed robbery would be impossible?

The incident with the poor soldier getting hacked to death should put that idea away for good. There are dangerous people out there. Admitting this is really tough for some people to admit. It is even tougher for them to admit they are in danger no matter where they are sleeping or walking. Worse is admitting that “Big Daddy” policeman cannot help them if he is also disarmed. The reality is no matter how difficult it is to see the world as it really is doing so will let you last longer.

Guns are just a tool used for any number of reasons from hunting to pest control. If the soldier had been armed I would hope these two thugs would have been permanently stopped. Stopping people like that is a duty of everyone in a free society. That is what I mean by pest control. IMHO my life is sacred and my assailant’s life is not.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,385,413 times
Greg, it's not a matter of British people being "scared" of guns. We have no history of gun ownership in the general population. The vast majority here have never even seen a real gun.

Whenever the police have a secret ballot on whether all police should be armed, they consistently vote no.
This thread says 80% of people voted to get their guns back..... that can't be true, very few people ever owned guns in the first place.

It would be wonderful if all the 'good' people here could own a handgun if they wanted, to stop people like those two who murdered that poor soldier. But, as we all know, the real world isn't like that. The police here have enough to deal with, sorting out people fighting outside pubs on a Friday night. If they had guns as well, geez, it doesn't bear thinking about!!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,230,371 times
Once freedoms are relinquished or bans/overhauls are passed, they are very difficult to undo, reform, or modify, especially the longer time passes. People simply 'accept' that is the way it is and move on with their lives. This could be considered a good or bad thing in some circumstances - I am not making a judgment call here on that.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll bet the family of the hacked up soldier wishes someone had a handgun.
What they gonna do when these attacks become more common ?
Oh yes, because shooting sprees don't happen in the "great" state of Texas
Marine killed after shooting spree in Texas - CNN.com
Yeah, in Texas criminals and crazy people don't randomly kill people because they know that every texan is a good guy armed to the teeth

Pathetic.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,822,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
So glad this is happening and the people are speaking out about only the criminals and police have the guns as crimes are rampant there!
Handguns have been banned in the UK for as long as memory serves, so not sure what this repeal is supposed to be about anyway.

And NO, most people in the UK do NOT want people walking around with guns.

So this is just wrong.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Gun owner and life long hunter here......

I don't believe that for a second. I've spent quit a bit of time in the UK, and from what I've experienced, people over there are quite happy not having hand guns. I'm sure there are people that would like to own a hand gun in Britain, but I can assure you that it's not 80%.............LOL
This. I lived there for a bit and I never heard one person over there say "Gee, I wish I had a gun." I was there when the Virginia Tech massacre happened, and I was bombarded with questions about American gun culture and why we're so in love with guns. The people there that I knew were almost universally vehemently opposed to gun ownership.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times
So how do British people defend themselves against violent assault? Do harsh words and a dirty look actually work.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,374,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have to wonder why the British and a substantial number of Americans are so scared of guns. Why? Are they afraid of being shot or having to take responsibility for having to shoot someone? Do they consider human life so sacred that they would not defend themselves or are they completely dependent on having a special segment of humanity protecting them? Or do they think that if no weapons are available everyone would stop using violence and a completely peaceful society would result because armed robbery would be impossible?

The incident with the poor soldier getting hacked to death should put that idea away for good. There are dangerous people out there. Admitting this is really tough for some people to admit. It is even tougher for them to admit they are in danger no matter where they are sleeping or walking. Worse is admitting that “Big Daddy” policeman cannot help them if he is also disarmed. The reality is no matter how difficult it is to see the world as it really is doing so will let you last longer.

Guns are just a tool used for any number of reasons from hunting to pest control. If the soldier had been armed I would hope these two thugs would have been permanently stopped. Stopping people like that is a duty of everyone in a free society. That is what I mean by pest control. IMHO my life is sacred and my assailant’s life is not.
Why do you equate not wanting to have a proliferation of weapons as being "scared of guns"?

Those laws were likely enacted when the British were all indentured for a term of national service and were completely familiar and trained with all types of firearms. Far from being scared or afraid of them, they hold them in a position of "respect" and do not think of them as the 'ego polishing' toys you folks have reduced them to. Your post is rife with that inference.

There is no "ban" on firearms in these countries you commonly hold up as being inferior to your 2nd amendment.

Rifles/shot guns are, for the most part, perfectly legal in most areas of all the commonwealth countries. Hand guns are even legal in some of them as well but the constant carrying of one would also be deemed as a repugnant idea by the majority as we are wise enough to know that's a fool's game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies