Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,866,292 times

Advertisements

Where I live, the police department are very good. But, it would still take them time to respond to the alarm going off. So, if there is an intruder in my house, what do I do until the cops arrive?

Hint: the answer is 5 letters long, starts with a G and ends with a K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,852,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is an old story on city data and has gotten its rounds. I am sure one could do a quick search and answer any questions one might have.
I hadn't realised this story had already been linked in another thread..... the story may be old, but the premise rermains valid. I'm not asking you to comment on the specific story, but rather, the fact that there were NO cops to send to this woman to aid her.

Living in NYC, YOU should be especially concerned, seeing as the police are more of a threat to the innocent than the criminals are.....
NYPD: 9 Civilians Near Empire State Building Were All Shot By Police: Gothamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also, unless there is new info, the article didn't mention anything about having a gun in the house or not. In the country in Oregon, there is a good chance there was a gun in the house.
Thats quite a leap on your part don't you think? Since the article mentions nothing of their being or not being a gun in the house, shouldn't the default position be that there wasn't one? You can't assume a claim in the positive, you have to prove it. You'd just love it if there were one though wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
In January I got mugged and called the cops; within 3 minutes, 3 units and 6 officers were at my door. No complaints about response time here.

Feel fortunate..... Others aren't as lucky.....

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 05-29-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,403,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Spoken like a weakling.
That's just the thing with conservatives... they have a big macho complex. Like bullies still on the grade school playground, except that the rest of us have grown up.

No one claims that police can be there "in seconds" to defend you. No one is saying that you can't own a gun if you're not a criminal or a moron (heck, you can clearly own one even if you're a moron). But it's totally asinine to say that the police do not provide valuable services to communities in which they operate, which makes those communities safer.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Default My Own Story Of Relying On Cops For Protection......

I can remember back when I was still living at home with the parents...... It was late one night, maybe 1 or 2am. I had just gotten home and was laying on the couch watching a long since worn out rerun of the classic Sienfeld. My mother was still awake and was off in the other room doing something when she walked in to the living room where I was. I heard a sound, faint, but still audible. I said to her "whats the noise"?..... As the approaching vehicle creeping down the road drew closer, it became clear what I was hearing was the sound of a blaring radio from a fellow night owl. Thats no big deal around hear, the teenage Amish kids come trotting down the road all the time in their buggues, boombox blaring, on their way to the local watering hole to get their booze before closing.

Anyway, my mom peered out the window through the blinds to get a better look.... All of a sudden I heard a loud BANG!!!! My mother fell to the floor and crouched, she shouted in fear. Still a little unsure what was going on I siad Mom, whats going on.... what happened. She told me of the several muzle flashes she had seen escaping from the passenger side window of a pickup......

We called 911 and they said they were sending the sheriff out to "have a look around".... Twenty eight minutes later his sleepy a$$ finally rolled up the driveway and stumbled out of the cruiser, not in any kind of rush and clearly niot very excited about the situation. He made a round behind the house and looked around for bullet holes. Then he tried making us out to be the stupid ones trying to say we didn't know what we had seen or heard. When we commented on the time it took to respond to a shots fired call, he said he was the only sheriff patroling the entire county, { it's a really big county, maybe an hours drive from one end to the other} and there is only one on duty at all times if it isn't a holiday.

We had this happen several times throughout the next couple days and it turned out to be stupid neighborhood kids messing around, but the cop didn't know that especially the first night it happened. It could have been a crazed maniac for all they knew, and we'd have been dead by the time the ciops got there and the nutjob probly long gone.

Anyone who thinks the cops will be there to protect them when they most need it is living in a fantasy world. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but are you willing to gamble on that or would you rather have a back up plan? An insurance policy of sorts? I've owned firearms since I was just a little whippersnapper, but after that is when I started taking an interest in firearms for home defense. They won't catch me off my gaurd next time.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 05-29-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
No one is saying that you can't own a gun if you're not a criminal or a moron .
Wake up. Maybe you aren't saying that, but that is exactly what many that are posting on these types of threads want. They would like nothing more than to see maybe a complete ban on firearms or controls placed on them that resembles that of Japan or Australia. That is exactly the goal of many people here, and those in Washington.... will you attepmt to deny that?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,403,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Wake up. Maybe you aren't saying that, but that is exactly what many that are posting on these types of threads want. That is exactly the goal of many people here, and those in Washington.... will you attepmt to deny that?
Yes, I will. No one is trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment. But some people are rightly trying to minimize the distribution of particularly lethal, high-capacity weapons to demented people and criminals. The two are not the same. Having comprehensive background checks is not the same as banning guns from being owned by anyone.

And back more on topic... there are a lot of valuable services that cops provide. That doesn't mean that every one of them is "perfect."

Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,339,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
In January I got mugged and called the cops; within 3 minutes, 3 units and 6 officers were at my door. No complaints about response time here.
Let me ask you something. Did those 6 officers do anything to prevent your mugging? Or were they all there to take a report after the attack?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,037,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I hadn't realised this story had already been linked in another thread..... the story may be old, but the premise rermains valid. I'm not asking you to comment on the specific story, but rather, the fact that there were NO cops to send to this woman to aid her.

Living in NYC, YOU should be especially concerned, seeing as the police are more of a threat to the innocent than the criminals are.....
NYPD: 9 Civilians Near Empire State Building Were All Shot By Police: Gothamist

Thats quite a leap on your part don't you think? Since the article mentions nothing of their being or not being a gun in the house, shouldn't the default position be that there wasn't one? You can't assume a claim in the positive, you have to prove it. You'd just love it if there were one though wouldn't you?

Feel fortunate..... Others aren't as lucky.....
So you don't want to talk about the specific story, you just want to talk about the specific story...you aren't making any sense.

Also how is that claim a leap? It is rural Oregon, it is common for people in rural Oregon to own a gun...does this woman own a gun, I don't know because the article doesn't mention it. Can you prove she didn't have a gun? No you cannot because that information wasn't included in the article.

Would I like it if she had a gun? I am not sure I follow you on that one, why would I like it if she had a gun? I feel bad for the woman and it sucks that the county is in a situation where it has no money to fund its sheriff department....but at the same time, that blame is also part of the people of that county that voted against funding the sheriff department to prevent cut backs.

This is why the original thread is important to this topic because all of these points have already been covered.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,037,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Let me ask you something. Did those 6 officers do anything to prevent your mugging? Or were they all there to take a report after the attack?
I don't think the police can time travel, the comment that was made says he got mugged and then called the cops. I don't think he called the cops before or during the mugging.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,426,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And to try to catch the guys who did it, who were on foot and couldn't have gone very far.

How could I have called them *before* I was mugged? I'm not clairvoyant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies