Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Obviously.

Ironically a major detractor would be women with guns. Take that, left wing feminazis.
I'm not following. I'm a left-wing "feminazi". I have guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why does it always have to be the wife who stays home?
Why can't the husband stay home?
Well I just prefer tradition, and that is not how it is traditionally. Liberalism seems to have its appeal for the majority of society; while it saddens me to see it, I do not wish to push my ideals upon others. If they find fulfillment in this, then I would not wish to take away their worldly happiness. Yet because it seems to be the way most everyone else is, I just wish it weren't so difficult for me to find what is fulfilling to me in this world; sometimes it is just hard to accept that it can never be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
the thing is, this was really only 'traditional' for a few privileged families in a brief period in history. This blog post explains it very well (and I have no idea what it has to do with Sarah Palin):

Think. Laugh. Weep. Worship.: Sarah Palin, "Stay-at-Home" Moms, and Women's History: Part 2

"Traditional gender roles" are largely misunderstood.
Yes, that is true, they are often misunderstood and I have not done as much research on it as I would have liked to do. I personally get the impression society has not changed very much in the last century and a half or so except for the blanket of technology which has been drawn about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
So after the acpolypse you want to go out and look for work and leave you wife on the rubble to care for the kids???
Well, it would be me staying home with the children while my husband goes out for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... no !!! It's 2013, not 1913; times they are a changin'.
Yes, I have what seems to be outdated, conventional ideas. I don't care for the direction in which society seems to be heading. It seems to be a very wonderful idea to lots others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
What decay, exactly, are we talking about?

somehow, i think, its imaginary
I'm talking about moral decay. If you can not sense it, there's nothing I can do to have it become more apparent to you. It definitely is subjective--you very well may see nothing at all wrong in the world and derive much fulfillment from it. And it is nothing more or less than what has been occurring for centuries.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Well, even the US is slowly changing. As always, they are lagging behind Northern European countries - no surprise there. Alas, more and more families have reversed roles with men staying home to take care of the kids and the house, while the wife is out and about making doughnuts.

Personally, I've had my career and am more than happy to stay home with the kids (I'm a man). No need for me to toil the office soil anymore. If my wife wanted to go back to work, I'd happily take over all (not just most) of the household duties (we're splitting them right now).

I don't care for the ego trip of power, status, etc. Been there, done that, moved on. Many men are still mentally close to the status quo of our ancestors - manly man, you know, who rule the world and think women are too stupid to do anything but raise kids, cook a meal, and vacuum the floor. They have no idea how to turn a washing machine on, think heating up a jar of Ragu as akin to cooking a meal, and have seen diapers on TV once.

I do think that having two working parents is detrimental to a child's developmental growth. However, it sure doesn't matter who stays home with the kids as long as the person who does so knows what he or she is doing.
Ya think? Take a look at this:

Germany's Paradox: Family-Friendly Benefits, But Few Kids : NPR

There's still a bias towards women staying home with the kids and men supporting the family.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why not? I am painting the house, and replacing the rain gutters this summer. I also have remodeled two bathrooms in our house, and and have built some furniture pieces.
Do you have a choice?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Do you think she would be incapable of doing it or is this about preferences?

I doubt house painting would be a priority during the zombie apocalypse.
I know some women would be fine with it but frankly, I wouldn't want to see my wife trying to lean a 32 footer to get the peak...and she wouldn't want to either.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I would like a return to traditional gender roles where the husband works and the wife stays home and raises the children. It seems to me the root of much of the decay of this society is due to how there is no one at home taking time with the children. It saddens me to see so much of this.
Sexist! You want to take women back to the 50s!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Well I just prefer tradition, and that is not how it is traditionally. Liberalism seems to have its appeal for the majority of society; while it saddens me to see it, I do not wish to push my ideals upon others. If they find fulfillment in this, then I would not wish to take away their worldly happiness. Yet because it seems to be the way most everyone else is, I just wish it weren't so difficult for me to find what is fulfilling to me in this world; sometimes it is just hard to accept that it can never be.

Yes, that is true, they are often misunderstood and I have not done as much research on it as I would have liked to do. I personally get the impression society has not changed very much in the last century and a half or so except for the blanket of technology which has been drawn about it.

Well, it would be me staying home with the children while my husband goes out for work.

Yes, I have what seems to be outdated, conventional ideas. I don't care for the direction in which society seems to be heading. It seems to be a very wonderful idea to lots others.

I'm talking about moral decay. If you can not sense it, there's nothing I can do to have it become more apparent to you. It definitely is subjective--you very well may see nothing at all wrong in the world and derive much fulfillment from it. And it is nothing more or less than what has been occurring for centuries.
Trust and believe cities like NYC and DC are full of single women in their mid 30s and they are anything but fulfilled. My ex-boss was a highly driven woman. She is now in her 50s and she openly regrets never marrying or having kids. Her younger days were spent working long hours.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Yes, gender roles would revert to the traditional - because traditional is the natural order of how things should be.

Women actually WANT to be the housekeeper whilst the man goes off hunting.

The only reason this has changed is because of the off-centre fems.
Studies have shown men who do more housework such as washing dishes, cleaning actually have less sex than men that don't.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
People don't work for fun. They do it to...eat and such/pay for kids college/rent/car payments.

Secondly, and again, it doesn't matter what women want. With our high divorce rates, that's quite a risky endeavor to not begin a career.

I know a woman with ten kids. She liked the idea of being primarily supported by her husband. She decided not to go to college because her husband was doing so well. Then he got laid off, and their family is deep in the hole. She regrets not going to college.

People will do what it takes to get by. If that means traditional roles, perhaps to add comfort and familiarity to society in otherwise unendingly stressful times, that will happen. If it means training the women to be sharpshooters, that will happen.
Seventy five percent if divorces are initiated by women.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Well not wanting to do something is different from not being able to do something. I got the impression from your first post that you felt like she was incapable of doing the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I know some women would be fine with it but frankly, I wouldn't want to see my wife trying to lean a 32 footer to get the peak...and she wouldn't want to either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies