Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You may have been a WM but let's be realistic!

I was an 0311 for many years and worked on some bases with WMs but don't tell me that when we go on a hump I can automatically throw the mortar base plate to a WM and expect her to keep up while carrying the rest of her gear,(pack, web belt, canteens, ammo, helmet, MREs, vest).

I don't mind females serving but we both know that the physical standards are lowered in all aspects of the training regimine for women.

I don't want to carry and extra weight (mental or physical) then I have to worrying about the females in my fireteam or squad.

It may not be PC and you may not like it but it's the truth.

Don't come into combat arms!

A tiny woman may be able to handle the M-16 but can she handle the hump to get their, if the 16 jams can she handle that enemy combatant that is measurably stronger and more arrgessive by nature than she is.

If you miss with your K-Bar who will typically have the upper body strength to retain that knife and when he takes it from you will he stick it in my back because he realises I'm more of a threat to him?

I don't have a problem with women serving but some jobs are not for them.
I think this should pertain to everybody. One should only be on the front line if s/he is up to par, can carry his/her weight (literally and figuratively) and serves the unit instead of hindering it. Some males wouldn't fit this category very well, and neither would most 4'11", 100 lb women.

It would be fair for women to be drafted into the military. BUt not necessarily to be on the front lines...there are support tasks that would better suit many females. If a woman is willing and capable of serving on the front line, more power to her and to us. If not, it is just an irresponsible act to place her there.

I also agree there would have to be a system to make sure parents wouldn't be shipped off at the same time. Who is supposed to care for their offspring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
True equal rights would have women drafted as well as being sent anywhere on a battlefield where a young man can be sent and I concur. Anyone who thinks women cannot fight have not been paying attention on C-D.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Women have been part of the US military for decades, usually in non-combat jobs. In recent times they are also in combat positions. The eligible draft age is from 18 to 26. With all the grandiose plans for expanding American wars, a draft may be necessary, soon.
Do you think that women should be included in the draft.
Women and the disabled.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
I think this should pertain to everybody. One should only be on the front line if s/he is up to par, can carry his/her weight (literally and figuratively) and serves the unit instead of hindering it. Some males wouldn't fit this category very well, and neither would most 4'11", 100 lb women.

It would be fair for women to be drafted into the military. BUt not necessarily to be on the front lines...there are support tasks that would better suit many females. If a woman is willing and capable of serving on the front line, more power to her and to us. If not, it is just an irresponsible act to place her there.

I also agree there would have to be a system to make sure parents wouldn't be shipped off at the same time. Who is supposed to care for their offspring?
We have to keep all the males, some are used as cannon fodder!

If they can't fight they can shield, pretty callous but we know it's the truth.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Women have been part of the US military for decades, usually in non-combat jobs. In recent times they are also in combat positions. The eligible draft age is from 18 to 26. With all the grandiose plans for expanding American wars, a draft may be necessary, soon.
Well your premise is wrong, not sure what grandiose plans for expanding wars you are talking about, the only people ever talking about a draft are left wing peacenicks,thinking it is a good scare tactic, but to play along no women should not ever be drafted, they should not be in the service period, except as nurses and such.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
If you did, those who didn't want to go would get pregnant and there would be more children to support

Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
no it should not.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo214 View Post
Well you can't say there wont be a draft. And yes women should be included in a draft. Women have been fighting long and hard for equal rights to men. If they wont there equal rights they should have to do everything a male has to do. Women should have no specal privlages just because there a female. They wanted equal rights so its time they step up and share the rights that all man shares (that deffenitly mean the draft).

Demo214
You couldn't read the last 13 pages??? It's all there....

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
Sure, people are different but how many military folks ever "knife-fight"? I was in the Marines for six years and they never even issued me a knife (I bought one myself because I thought the K Bar was cool, and was never even asked to bring it anywhere). I think even a tiny little woman can handle the 7 lb M-16.

Also, why do people let others define their abilities? It's a good thing that world-class chefs like Wolfgang Puck never listened to the "men can't cook" line of balony! That is a classic example of people letting attitudes shape them - what physical limitation against men does cooking have?
I knew a few WMs who could shoot high expert with that plastic rifle

Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Of course they should be. What century is this?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies