Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If they can't do the same job as me because of physical limitations, then they don't need to be in the same military as me.

They deserve to be in the same military but they shouldn't be allowed to be the weak link in the chain. Women lack the strength and speed that men have so maybe they should be trained as snipers, MPs, medics, mechanics, engineers, drivers, or anything else that won't allow their physical limitations to endanger their comrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
They deserve to be in the same military but they shouldn't be allowed to be the weak link in the chain. Women lack the strength and speed that men have so maybe they should be trained as snipers, MPs, medics, mechanics, engineers, drivers, or anything else that won't allow their physical limitations to endanger their comrades.
I disagree because that business about women being the "weaker sex", so to speak, is nothing but a generalization. I've known women that were taller and more physically fit than their male counterparts. A lot of that is one's genetic makeup. There are quite a few young men who certainly don't have the physical strength needed for boot camp, combat, or military life in general. Today's youth (male or female) seems to be more interested in texting and doing whatever they want ... and their attitude is "to hell with exercise, strength training, diet, and healthy lifestyles".

Back to the draft issue in general: I am completely against a mandatory draft (except in a time of crisis). Even during WWII, the draft may not have been necessary because there were many volunteers who readily joined the armed forces to fight the Nazis and the Japs. I'm glad the draft has been eliminated. The all volunteer force America currently has works just fine ... and the morale is higher among recruits who join at their own will instead of being forced into service.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Yes, but why shouldn't they have to meet the same physical requirements as me during basic training.

Again, I had to do 30 push ups in 2 minutes, and 40 sit ups in 2 minutes. The girls only had to do 20 push ups, and 30 sit ups. Why should they have to do put out less. 30 push ups isn't that hard for a girl to do, and they had their knees down to!

Why did I only get 18 minutes to run 2 miles, and they had 25 minutes? I know lots of women who can outrun me. They aren't any less feminine, they just out did me physically. This is my problem, there is a double standard. Women seem to want equal rights, but people baby them because they are girls. I'm all for equal rights, but I don't want to baby anyone. If you want to do it, do it, don't expect a hand up when no one else gets one.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
There are a lot of women that can hold there own as well as any man. Not all of course, but there are also some pretty wimpy guys too.

I personally kicked a$$ in the military. And I'm a sharp shooter. So watch out!

But I personally hope there is never a draft again!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Certain Members of Congress, like Charlie Rangle, want the draft brought back. And, if it were, women should have to register.
LOL, One vote. A few more to go.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL, One vote. A few more to go.
Let's assume for the moment that the draft is re-instated.

Would you support having women register for the draft?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's assume for the moment that the draft is re-instated.

Would you support having women register for the draft?
Let's assume (ass of U and me) that the moon is made of green cheese. Hypothetical questions are lame.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Let's assume (ass of U and me) that the moon is made of green cheese. Hypothetical questions are lame.
Again, lets have some fun - lets go ahead and make believe that the draft is re-instated. Would you support women having to register for the draft?

I'm asking a pretty easy, straight forward question - come on - you can answer it - I know you can.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
What a nasty condescending anti-troops , unpatriotic statement.

Why don't you check out what sacrifices , including death and mutilation , WOMEN soldiers have gone through defending, fighting for , YOU and YOUR country!

And that goes for the rest of you who think YOU have a right to decide what a woman , a citizen, can/should/would do.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
If they don't, they ought to stay out of politics, then.

And why do women get to retire at the same age as men? That is patently unfair, since they live longer, and collect more total benefits.

Draft women, make them work unil they're 70, and have them pick up the tab once in a while. Then maybe they'll really have something to bytch about.
What the hell did you just say? OMgsh you are not allowed to talk that way about women. Do you seriously hear your self? Degrading women like that? Wow that just pisses me off when i see people like you think that way. Why would you want to send your daughter or wife to war? You need to understand that their are things that men will do because it's not really a women place! Im not being prejudices or sexist but its the truth. War isnt for women and besides who will take care of the childern? You realize that women get raped during war too? obviously you need to go read more and become enlightened cuz i totally feel sorry for you. Plz dont pass your thinking to the next generation. Becuase that is not what progressive thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies