Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You act as if this topic is based on some kind rational thinking.

Don't you realize that gender differences are the result of social constructions?

You're flirting with re-education camp.
I actually got that mentality from my mother.. who can still to this day PT at the same level as the average marine. ((She was a Master-At-Arms for many years..))

Both my parents were navy, grandfather was Air Force, grandmother was army, my uncle is marine gone army, ((there's many more...)).. and I'm a civilian for the Navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Personally, I'd actually agree with a system that would make it mandatory for all able-bodied people to do at least 2 years of military service after getting a high school diploma/GED. I just don't like a draft that would pool all able-bodied where you don't know when you'll be called up or for how long.

The only problem is that we might actually see an increase of dropouts never getting a GED with the "I don't want to be in the service" mentality.
The not knowing when is part of war, unfortunately. I am old enough to remember the Vietnam War draft. I think though, draftees served two years, while enlistees served more. I could be wrong, though. It's been a long time.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The not knowing when is part of war, unfortunately. I am old enough to remember the Vietnam War draft. I think though, draftees served two years, while enlistees served more. I could be wrong, though. It's been a long time.
22 months, 8 days, and 11 hours, in my case.

Not that I was counting.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM

309 posts, read 365,411 times
Default Draft?.......What's that?

Personally, I do not believe any women should be drafted into any form of combat role in war for a huge number of reasons that I would rather not mention here.
I honestly don't think that most women wish to accept exactly what IS possible for them in any TRUE "front line" combat in war.
FORGET human rights, forget equality, forget dignity.......in true war ANYTHING is fair and nothing at all, IMO.
Nothing short of brutality against other human beings......much of which is and always has been very hard on our toughest men in previous wars.
Without sounding like a sexist.....the reality is.....in war....the rawest and purest forms of barbaric treatment, uncivil, uncaring, HATRED becomes reality and normal and IMO.....women should NEVER be subjected to it......unless the actual battle comes here to American soil and there are NO choices.
The draft in general.....is a very touchy thing since the end of the Vietnam War.....and IMO....if it had been reinstated and applied in today's war in Iraq......the anti-war protesting would be on a HUGE and massive scale in Washington......quite likely....having resulted in the impeachment of Bush by now.
Being that the current military is stretched so thin it's nearly to the breaking point......reinstating the draft would have ensured....NOT a second term for Bush and they are content with the current "acceptable level" of casualties in this Iraq war to avoid a repeat of the 60s in DC and all of the reprucussions that followed.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
My mother was a nurse in WWII. She saw all of that. She received some combat medals. It wasn't as much fun as "MASH", by any means. Nurses have been killed in every war. I am not pro-war. But if we have a draft, men and women should be treated equally.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
You sound as if they would draft all 200 million Americans on the same day....I maybe getting old but I still believe it's an Honor to Serve My Country. And no I don't want my daughter drafted.

Then I hope you're taking action to end this war. If not, you are condoning it and the actions taken in the name of war are being supported by you.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
I actually got that mentality from my mother.. who can still to this day PT at the same level as the average marine. ((She was a Master-At-Arms for many years..))

Both my parents were navy, grandfather was Air Force, grandmother was army, my uncle is marine gone army, ((there's many more...)).. and I'm a civilian for the Navy.
Well, bless you all.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:

Yeah, we had girls in our unit that shot better than most of the guys. It was said that they were able to hold the rifle steadier than most lol

Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Ok my son is in Bagdad right now and his wife has already done two tours.
They recently had a child so I can answer the "what would happen if both parents are deployed" question.
The couple must sign over conditional custody to a couple of their choice.
Once one of the parents come home the custody is null and void.

Now to the subject....I really really really want to say yes women should be drafted because it's only fair. But the Mom and woman in me can't.

I work with female cops, they are just as tough and fit as the males. I have the upmost respect for them. But that's not the frontlines.
D-i-l saw some horrific things and I admire her for doing it. But I would rather see her at home taking care of that baby.

If a woman volunteers then go for it.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You're correct it was 2 years and 3 years....I was a 3 year man...lol....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies