Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are DUI Checkpoints, or checkpoints in general Unconstitutional?
Yes 62 52.10%
No 57 47.90%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
DUI isn't addressed in the constitution.

It's a public safety issue.

You'd be well advised to avoid driving drunk.

It isn't complicated.
I don't drive drunk. I'm a very light drinker. I saw the old thread and thought it was a good topic. I have been harassed and illegally charged at a road block. The cop got an attitude over a mistaken identity. I wasn't Rick Ross transporting drugs, I was a gay dude who works out taking his date to work.

The court ruled in my favor. First time in quite a while. DUI Checkpoints are Unconstitutional and should be struck down.

A good alternative would be some way for drivers to report wreckless drivers. Those people are the real problems.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If we're talking about risk then its a very valid comparison. It could be just as dangerous as an alcohol impaired driver.

DUI Laws are some of the toughest in the country, yet other risks are punished lightly or not punished at all. Is it not about knowingly putting others at danger? Is that not what we're discussing?
DUI laws are not tough in the United States, not by a long shot.

Quote:
I don't drive drunk. I'm a very light drinker. I saw the old thread and thought it was a good topic. I have been harassed and illegally charged at a road block. The cop got an attitude over a mistaken identity. I wasn't Rick Ross transporting drugs, I was a gay dude who works out taking his date to work.

The court ruled in my favor. First time in quite a while. DUI Checkpoints are Unconstitutional and should be struck down.

A good alternative would be some way for drivers to report wreckless drivers. Those people are the real problems.
Oh? Half off all automobile related fatalities are caused by drunk drivers.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,978 times
Is there a difference in being killed by a drunk driver as opposed to being killed by a reckless driver? Is one more dead than the other? i dont think so!

DUI checkpoints are just more BS to give over zealous thug cops more "latitude" to violate the rights of Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's fairly difficult to spot people that are texting and just so many police officers. If you had someone that was killed by a drunk driver I doubt you would feel that way. When MADD got involved they were supported by voters and they got DUI checkpoints put in place, it saved lives, it worked.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Is there a difference in being killed by a drunk driver as opposed to being killed by a reckless driver? Is one more dead than the other? i dont think so!

DUI checkpoints are just more BS to give over zealous thug cops more "latitude" to violate the rights of Americans.
I don't understand your logic - since you could be killed by someone other than a drunk driver, the government shouldn't bother trying to stop drunk drivers?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:

You were charged for drunk driving even though you weren't drunk while driving? Ok, how did that work exactly? Did you take a breathalyzer? That would've been the end of the story right there if you truly were not legally drunk.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
All you supporters of drunk driving you should move to my state, we love drunk drivers. You can get 5 dui's before they finally throw your drunk a*s in jail. You'd love it. And even then, you get out & continue to drive drunk, maybe get 5 more dui's before they again throw you in jail.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
What is your opinion of DUI checkpoints? Do you feel they violate the 4th amendment?
They are absolutely constitutional on public roadways.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
I don't understand your logic - since you could be killed by someone other than a drunk driver, the government shouldn't bother trying to stop drunk drivers?

and I don't understand YOUR logic... since you're suggesting that people being killed by others who are DUI is justification for stopping and searching everyone or randomly (both in violation of the Constitution) maybe we could also apply the following laws. Since people get killed by other people who own knives, shouldn't the government be able to search either everyone's home or randomly search homes to see who might have a knife that could possibly be used as a weapon to commit murder?

You are attempting to justify violating everyone's constitutional right to be free from search without a search warrant signed by a judge based upon affirmation or affidavit of probable cause simply because you don't like those who drink and drive. So instead of going after the criminal, using LAWFUL crime fighting techniques, you want to unlawfully search everyone in order to DETERMINE whether or not they MAY be violating the law.

That's ok... I understand. You HATE and completely DISRESPECT the Constitution when it does not permit the government to have powers you think they should have to do things to other people with whom you disagree.

The fact that a DUI checkpoint yields OTHER violations of law, beyond the claimed intended drunk driving violations further indicates that it is a witch hunt for ANY violation of law, and this concept directly urinates upon the very words of the Constitution.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
why would it violate the 4th amendment if law enforcement only searches vehicles where there's probable cause? the traffic build up dui checkpoints create is annoying, but questioning drivers in the line does not violate unwarranted searches and seizures.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
and I don't understand YOUR logic... since you're suggesting that people being killed by others who are DUI is justification for stopping and searching everyone or randomly (both in violation of the Constitution) maybe we could also apply the following laws. Since people get killed by other people who own knives, shouldn't the government be able to search either everyone's home or randomly search homes to see who might have a knife that could possibly be used as a weapon to commit murder?

You are attempting to justify violating everyone's constitutional right to be free from search without a search warrant signed by a judge based upon affirmation or affidavit of probable cause simply because you don't like those who drink and drive. So instead of going after the criminal, using LAWFUL crime fighting techniques, you want to unlawfully search everyone in order to DETERMINE whether or not they MAY be violating the law.

That's ok... I understand. You HATE and completely DISRESPECT the Constitution when it does not permit the government to have powers you think they should have to do things to other people with whom you disagree.

The fact that a DUI checkpoint yields OTHER violations of law, beyond the claimed intended drunk driving violations further indicates that it is a witch hunt for ANY violation of law, and this concept directly urinates upon the very words of the Constitution.
Never in the existence of this country has the government needed a warrant for all searches (or even needed probable cause for all searches).

You too should read the cases, because your comparisons are inapplicable (i.e - the courts have already addressed how and why a dui checkpoint is okay, and not the same as searching private residences).

So why don't you put a lid on the emotional outburst, it doesn't actually aid your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies