Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
On Twitter I saw some people make comments about the National Spelling Bee and how many of its contestants are of Indian descent (Asian Indian, not Native American). Here are some examples: "Of course it comes down to 3 Indian kids in the spelling bee...not even fair to us Americans ahaha" / "Are there any Americans in the spelling bee?" / "are we sure this is not the Indian national spelling bee? americans need to step up" / "so there are no americans in the spelling bee" / "there are just Indians there, not American people like me, they want to invade our country"

I was honestly astounded by this ignorance. As far as I know, almost ALL of these "Indian" contestants are American citizens who were born and raised in this country and just happen to have Indian heritage. I honestly couldn't believe people said that. They are as American as any other person born in this country.
Just because they have foreign names that are not western, and happen to look "different" than most American people, a lot of people just assumed they are definitely not American despite the fact almost all of them are Americans like me and you and just have a certain type of ethnicity.

I know some Indian American people and I think would feel kind of offended if people said they are not Americans just because of the way they look or they have a "different" kind of name.

What do you think of this? I find this ridiculous.
As an American who has coached American boys of Indian origin in baseball, basketball, soccer and wrestling, and whose kids go to school and live in a neighborhood with many Indian Americans, I find such comments vile and very offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:34 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I find it ridiculous that you refer to other human beings as mutts.
Ever notice how most Stormfronter/Kluxer types ain't exactly testaments to Aryan genetic supremacy?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No. The Indians that come here are highly educated (something that's not common here) and seek high paying jobs. The Indian Americans that participated in the spelling bee are just like you and I. They won't settle for low wages.

At least they're better than those who refer to people as mutts. I wish it were easier to kick some losers out.
I know Indian Americans who are mad when Indian H1Bs come here and take jobs.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I thought Indians were from India and Americans were from the US ?

Are they going to be classified a separate group like African Americans ? I hope not.
So.....who classified African Americans as a separate group? Not African Americans.......

Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For the most part, they started coming here in the 60s. I know plenty of Indian Americans in their 30s and 40s.
For the most part. But I used to work with a guy whose father came here from India in the 1920s. There are a few others of Indian ethnicity who came from the Caribbean as British subjects back then as well but whose children and grandchildren blended in with West Indians or African Americans.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
So they can spell they just can't speak it. LOL
Indians speak better English than Americans do. The British colonization of India has left them with a superb educational system that teaches English really well. They are difficult for us to understand because they are applying a British accent on to of their native accent. If you read what they right, it's easy to see they have a solid grasp of the language.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You know what I find ridiculous? That we let every mutt in the world in here and call them a citizen in the interest of keeping wages down. We are losing our country every day. Do you find that ridiculous?
Once we let in the bloody Irish it was all over, wasn't it...

Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
Stupid comment, especially since most Indians who come here are highly educated.
That's debatable. I work in IT and we hire Indians more then anyone else because they have degrees or certifications. The problem is they got those certs and degrees from a Cracker Jack box because they have no clue what they are doing and are some of the biggest hacks in the place.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You know what I find ridiculous? That we let every mutt in the world in here and call them a citizen in the interest of keeping wages down. We are losing our country every day. Do you find that ridiculous?
Mutt? Lose a job to some mutt, eh? Feeling disgruntled & bitter? Maybe lost your woman to a mutt? Poor you.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
On Twitter I saw some people make comments about the National Spelling Bee and how many of its contestants are of Indian descent (Asian Indian, not Native American). Here are some examples: "Of course it comes down to 3 Indian kids in the spelling bee...not even fair to us Americans ahaha" / "Are there any Americans in the spelling bee?" / "are we sure this is not the Indian national spelling bee? americans need to step up" / "so there are no americans in the spelling bee" / "there are just Indians there, not American people like me, they want to invade our country"

I was honestly astounded by this ignorance. As far as I know, almost ALL of these "Indian" contestants are American citizens who were born and raised in this country and just happen to have Indian heritage. I honestly couldn't believe people said that. They are as American as any other person born in this country.
Just because they have foreign names that are not western, and happen to look "different" than most American people, a lot of people just assumed they are definitely not American despite the fact almost all of them are Americans like me and you and just have a certain type of ethnicity.

I know some Indian American people and I think would feel kind of offended if people said they are not Americans just because of the way they look or they have a "different" kind of name.

What do you think of this? I find this ridiculous.
It is. I have a cousin who complains about the Indians all the time (we are in NJ, where there are many Indian immigrants, and by now there are a lot of American-born kids of Indian descent).

What are they complaining about? Most Indians are good immigrants. They don't come here and go on welfare or mooch of any other system. They are engineers, or doctors, or they own stores. Yes, there are the 7-11 jokes, but so what? They come here and make an honest living. We used to have stereotypical German immigrant butchers and Greek immigrant diner owners. Now we have Indian immigrant convenience store and gas station owners. Big deal. I don't see Indian gangs springing up running through the streets mugging people or Indians jacking cars, either. So what's left to complain about? Indian-American kids winning a spelling bee. The horror. The horror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies