Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I don't agree with that. Several people I know who always voted R voted for Obama over McCain. They felt that Bush damaged the country so they had to put the D's into power. However, when asked what it was that Bush did to damage the country it was always the deer in the headlights look. Our electorate is ignorant. How else could Obama possibly get re-elected after his record or epic failure? After four more years of embarrassment, scandals, and failure with Obama the momentum will likely shift the other way and people will want the D's out of power. People like to feel like they're holding someone accountable.
I want to know how with getting less than 50% of the popular vote, he got the landslide electoral vote. That one escapes me and if anyone can explain it, I would appreciate it.

Btw, the musical chant in the video was very creepy. Just saying.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 AM

252 posts, read 263,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I want to know how with getting less than 50% of the popular vote, he got the landslide electoral vote. That one escapes me and if anyone can explain it, I would appreciate it.

Btw, the musical chant in the video was very creepy. Just saying.
Most states use the all or nothing system. If your state has 4 million people and 16 electoral votes and 51% vote red and 49% vote blue, red gets all 16. Of course the popular vote does not matter. The electoral college is not necessarily restricted by the pop vote.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
True, but until you can provide evidence for your claim your sorta talking out of your rear end.

Just saying.

Ace Ventura - Pet Detective - Ass Talking Scene - YouTube

Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
Most states use the all or nothing system. If your state has 4 million people and 16 electoral votes and 51% vote red and 49% vote blue, red gets all 16. Of course the popular vote does not matter. The electoral college is not necessarily restricted by the pop vote.
Thank you for the clarification. I think the electoral is unnecessary anymore. I get why it was started before the Information Age and easy access to it.

Our presidents should be elected by the citizens.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Most likely, it means the majority of Americans vote along party lines... do you really think a 50-year Democrat or Republican will watch YouTube and go "Golly gee, I was wrong all these years - go Romney/Obama!!"

And for those of us who consider ourselves independent, we are often faced with three choices: Dumb, dumber, or throwaway/statement vote. How many legitimate candidates do we have on any given election, and does choosing between one of two (maybe three) make somebody stupid vs smart? Nope, it means we had to either pick one or stay home. Duh.

Agreed. By any logical reasoning, Obama should have lost the 2012 election, as he was a terrible president in his first term.

2012 was like 1980- only this time Carter was re-elected.

Are Americans "dumb" for re-electing Obama? Well............. if we use personal prosperity and maintaining individual liberties as a measure of a good president, then yes. If we assume that having a member of "your" party in the White House, regardless of performance, is the goal, then no.

I think if one wants to know if the American electorate is "dumb", one simply needs to listen to the interviews of the average "man on the street" regarding the issues at hand in the 2012 election. I think we can safely say that the voting American population is, on the average, stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies