Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
And they're entitled to do so without the homofascists harassing them or sending them death threats.
You would think people should be allowed to make family desicions without being harrassed and insulted, but I guess that's a thing of the past.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You would think people should be allowed to make family desicions without being harrassed and insulted, but I guess that's a thing of the past.
He didn't get harassed and insulted for the family decision he made. His public statements about why he made the decision---and it was his choice to go public---were criticized.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Nope.

But I am perfectly comfortable in admitting that I have zero tolerance for ignorant bigots who want to discriminate against people because of who they love - and then try to use their bible as their justification for their bigotry.
You toss insults like they were nothing, and at the same time you expect others respect for your views?

So, this "ignorant bigoted" Christian father who pulled his kid out of the Scouts is discriminating against gays because............? ?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
That some Christians and other social conservatives will hate you not because you have done anything wrong but simply because you exist at all.
BINGO!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There you go again. Accuse others of hatred and small mindedness for simply standing by their values.

What is it about gays that they won't allow other people to have their own opinon about issues? They'll hiss and spit on anyone who doesn't agree to their demands.

The reason Aaron gave is simple: Boy Scouts were not honoring their own law
You know, I call people small-minded and hateful when they use their beliefs as a basis to discriminate other, ostracize them, hurt them, or hate them. I don't care of their beliefs are directed against "hispanics," women, gays, black, or the Chinese.

Hatred is hatred, no matter who it is directed at. Calling people out on it is not a sign of intolerance. It is a sign of understanding that a person's demographics cannot be the basis for hatred, but that their screwed-up beliefs, on the other hand, can be.

By the way, I am not homosexual - so the question you pose is based on some erroneous assumption you make. What I am is a person who believes in equality - you should try it some time: It's the great attempt at live and let live. See, you can have all the ridiculous beliefs in the world that you want - it won't make me want to boycott an organization you are part of, it won't make me want to make you less equal than others. It will make me call you out on it. See the difference? Of course not...

Seems like the Boy Scouts ARE honoring their own laws. If the BSA is the governing body of the boy scouts, than they make the rules. It's their organization, not Aarons. It just happens that Aaron doesn't agree with one of their new rules. That's his problem - not the Boy Scouts'.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I recall an argument used by opponents of gays in Boy Scouts was that they are a private organization and can set their own standards for membership.

It would appear that some of them have been hoisted by their own petards.

If they don't like the new rule...quit and make your own new club with a "No Gays Allowed" sign out front.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Are you the person who predicted - what was it? 2, 3 years ago? - that with the abolishment of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" (DADT) and letting openly gay people serve in the armed forces there was going to be mass exodus of service people out of the military? That the US armed forces was going to collapse??
Nope you would be wrong about that.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Aaron Butler is now free to form the new "Bigot Scouts". Tagline - All the hate, half the members.

I wonder what their membership pitch would be? I can't imagine promising parents that you will teach their kids to hate gays and other groups of people would be a selling point for most rational people. Basically what some people want is an American Taliban approved Boy Scouts.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I know. It totally went defunct. Everyone left, EVERYONE. Those gays did it again!
Really? when did that happen?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Really? when did that happen?
According to you, the end has happened already. So maybe you can answer your own question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies