Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,821,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm doing fine too, but that's because I could sit tight and wait. Many people could not since they needed the money for retirement, etc.

From the link;

The report found that the most fragile households were not well educated, relatively young or black or Hispanic, or some combination of those characteristics. Those families tended to have low savings combined with high debt and accrued much of their wealth through housing.
So should I feel sorry for the generation with medicare, social security, and (half) of a retirement fund? Or the people with ****loads of debt, a shoddy job market, and zero savings?

They made bad investment decisions. A legitimaye retirement fund could have, and should have, weathered 4 years of uncertainty. Even transferring all equities into bonds to be super duper safe would have yielded profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
I'm doing fine too, but that's because I could sit tight and wait. Many people could not since they needed the money for retirement, etc.

From the link;

The report found that the most fragile households were not well educated, relatively young or black or Hispanic, or some combination of those characteristics. Those families tended to have low savings combined with high debt and accrued much of their wealth through housing.
If they were getting ready for retirement then bonds would have made up a significant chunk of their portfolio; and if bonds made up a sizable chunk of their portfolio they would have seen gains not losses.

Most of the losses that haven't recovered are housing losses, which isn't all that relevant in the short term.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If they were getting ready for retirement then bonds would have made up a significant chunk of their portfolio
You would've thought so! Investing in bonds as you get older was conventional wisdom going back a century.

The rule of thumb is that the % you invest in bonds should be equal to your age.

This is why it has been so puzzling to me that the boomers lost wealth during the '08 stock market crash, when bonds did very well.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
Quote:
And still have not recovered.

From the peak of the boom to the bottom of the bust, households watched a total of $16 trillion in wealth disappear amid sinking stock prices and the rubble of the real estate market. Since then, Americans have only been able to recapture 45 percent of that amount on average, after adjusting for inflation and population growth, according to the report from the St. Louis Fed released Thursday.

Americans have rebuilt less than half of wealth lost to the recession, study says - The Washington Post
What were they doing with there money that it did not recover? If you rebalanced correctly after the downturn, your portfolio should be up very significantly.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
So should I feel sorry for the generation with medicare, social security, and (half) of a retirement fund? Or the people with ****loads of debt, a shoddy job market, and zero savings?

They made bad investment decisions. A legitimaye retirement fund could have, and should have, weathered 4 years of uncertainty. Even transferring all equities into bonds to be super duper safe would have yielded profits.
No. That's not what I posted.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If they were getting ready for retirement then bonds would have made up a significant chunk of their portfolio; and if bonds made up a sizable chunk of their portfolio they would have seen gains not losses.

Most of the losses that haven't recovered are housing losses, which isn't all that relevant in the short term.

Hmmmm.... tell that to the millions who lost their houses.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What were they doing with there money that it did not recover? If you rebalanced correctly after the downturn, your portfolio should be up very significantly.
I agree. I don't know why they are not fully recovered.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,435,815 times
Quote:

From the peak of the boom to the bottom of the bust, households watched a total of $16 trillion in wealth disappear amid sinking stock prices and the rubble of the real estate market. Since then, Americans have only been able to recapture 45 percent of that amount on average, after adjusting for inflation and population growth, according to the report from the St. Louis Fed released Thursday.

Americans have rebuilt less than half of wealth lost to the recession, study says - The Washington Post

Where did the wealth go?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post

What about baby boomers who have ****loads of debt, a shoddy job market, and zero savings?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,513,641 times
Quote:

You forgot income. Many of us lost income too.

This is, definitely, the case for me. Pre recession, my house was worth twice what it is now (if I were young, I'd buy a bigger house that could gain value faster but I'm not so I'm staying where I am) and my IRA was worth about 20% more than it is now (I figure I'll recover my losses in another 4-5 years if things keep on track and I can avoid tapping my IRA due to impending unemployment.). Pre recession, I had about 8 months income in the bank. Now I'm livingpaycheck to paycheck because my earnings are about 60% of what they were pre recession. Because my earnings are lower, my savings rate has dwindled to nothing (4% going into a 401K with a 3% match) so I'm WAY BEHIND where I expcted to be right now.

I had the right plan but reality screwed it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies