Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM

370 posts, read 246,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I was referring about another member who was trying to say Chicago and Detroit were the same. Though the two cities might have the same type of crime problems, the huge difference is Chicago have a thriving economy and all of the neighborhoods except for a few target bad neighborhoods are healthy. Detroit overall is a struggling city with more problem areas than healthy areas.
Yes..I see now.
My error.
Apologies for my confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

The drug war should be ended.
That's what I was getting at ha ha.

Why not follow the models that other countries have used to battle addiction. Our model of locking all addicts and users up, except alcohol users, is totally bogus and has proven to be counter productive.

It's making all the wrong people rich and is doing nothing to help the real people in need, like the addicts.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Meh, it's pretty much the same to me. All of the murder wouldn't be any better just because these teenagers waited a few more years.
The Italian and Irish hoodlums during prohibition either were poorly educated or chose to drop out of school for various reasons, including the dominant culture they saw around them everyday and the knowledge that they could make more money moving bootleg liquor than working straight.

Had they stayed in school, it is highly unlikely that they would have gravitated to a life of crime.

That is why I see today's kids killing each other as more of a tragedy - they are throwing away their opportunity for a productive and longer life before they even grow up.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
I didn't compare them as being as the same.

I said that Chicago is a disaster and before long it will become Detroit.

If something can become something else in the future, then it cannot be the same as that at the present.

This is simple logic.

Put another way - Detroit is in somewhat of a post-disaster state.

Chicago still has time to save itself.
Well if you think Chicago is a disaster, then you obviously know nothing about Chicago.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well if you think Chicago is a disaster, then you obviously know nothing about Chicago.
If you don't think chicago has a crime problem, YOU'RE the one who "doesn't know".

Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The Italian and Irish hoodlums during prohibition either were poorly educated or chose to drop out of school for various reasons, including the dominant culture they saw around them everyday and the knowledge that they could make more money moving bootleg liquor than working straight.

Had they stayed in school, it is highly unlikely that they would have gravitated to a life of crime.

That is why I see today's kids killing each other as more of a tragedy - they are throwing away their opportunity for a productive and longer life before they even grow up.
I agree with ya.

Many in those neighborhoods don't see any hope anyways though. They see the murder all around them, the crack heads, the chaos. Hell, even the police aren't their friend in most cases. Some are criminal themself and some just label them as a criminal like all the other kids.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
If you don't think chicago has a crime problem, YOU'RE the one who "doesn't know".

Most of the big cities in this country have a crime problem. Not just Chicago.

Are you signing up to End the Drug War and end the violence?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Most of the big cities in this country have a crime problem. Not just Chicago.

Are you signing up to End the Drug War and end the violence?
My reply was to urbanlife78 and green _mariner.
I refer you to post #93 where I already mentioned other cities with crime problems....don't be so defensive and try to keep up.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
No, I do not think the entire city has a crime problem, I do think a few neighborhoods do have a crime problem and could use some seriously drastic measures to correct things.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
LMAO...duck, dodge, deflect and try to distract...

....what are the demographics of the criminals committing the crimes?
I do not know because I don't dwell upon it that much. However, I do believe an internet troll posted some statistics earlier in this thread.

I wonder if anyone happens to know that in 1991 the number of murders in Dallas was 500?

If you live in Chicago, perhaps you should arm yourself to make you feel safe.

I no longer reside there, but I do frequent some areas, some are nice, some are ghettos, but as long as I don't do drugs, and don't sell drugs, I'm pretty much immune to being shot randomly.

A person can get shot walking out of the front door of their apartment or home, and it doesn't really matter where one lives, you take a risk everyday you show yourself in the public or population.

It does seem to me that certain people using this forum have pointed out that Chicago is a bad place to be, many threads have come and gone, and nothing was ever resolved in discussions, other than people personally attacking other people in the forum.

As long as the Constitution guarantees everyone their civil rights, those rights also apply to people committing crimes. There's not much authorities can do about it either. As the authorities are no longer allowed to stop so called suspicious looking people or vehicles as they did in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
A person has to either be caught in the act, or people have to come forward to identify perpetrators, and, many people living in the seedy areas live in fear of coming forward with information. There is a code of silence.

I'm finished driveling now, you may continue on attacking Chicago and people who stand up for it, good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies