Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
They just don't care in some neighborhoods. That's the only way I can describe it. I experienced it growing up but not to the same degree. Some people don't understand that some people will murder you in broad daylight and not think twice. Killing is something they're around since birth. I remember seeing my 1st person get shot when I was 15. Happened fast but I just remember growing up a lot in that moment. I could imagine it would be similar to what soldiers go through.
It is a scary mentality, one that comes with living a rough life. I think it's a bit different for soldiers. I believe once soldiers come back from battle, they have to go through a psychological process to go back into societies. Gang bangers tend to not value life at all.

Quote:
There's lots of work to be done in some of our worst neighborhoods. It's not an impossible task though, but I do believe it would take a whole lot of compassion to fix those areas (and let me be clear, I also think there's some rural areas with MAJOR setbacks that need a lot of help too). There wouldn't be a huge return (financially, there's little to gain) but we could help to save thousands of lives and empower populations that have never had a voice before.

If I was going to start the non-profit concept I would fund the businesses myself. I would manage their oversight and the non-profit aspect would be that all the profits would go back to the employees and communities. Won't give more details than that but I feel it'd be a great way to raise the income level of a community. That extra money would flow into other local businesses and help further fuel the economy.
There is plenty of work to be done. With the green industry, this could be very helpful for the inner city. There are alot of of buildings that could use some work.

Quote:
A lot of people don't think about a lot of the consequences of the Drug War. It's caused a lot of violence. Similar to Prohibition of Alcohol.
Alot of people never think about the events surrounding such violence. The Drug War has done nothing but cause more violence. Prohibition has done the same thing. When it was Prohibition, it was the Italians and the Irish involved. With the Drug War, it was Blacks and Hispanics. Same kinds of circumstances, same kind of violence. Few people have ever considered that ending the drug war would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are suggesting Obama use the US military to clean up the city he use to live and work in? That sounds excessive.

Also, how has Chicago gotten worse sense Rahm has taken office compared to what Daley was doing?
Rahm is taking a lot of heat because he is focused on challenging the machine.

Daley gave away a deal for parking meter/lot rights. A Wall Street firm brokered the deal between the city and an Arab company. Rahm has attempted to renegotiate a really bad deal for the city. The outcome will be a slightly less bad deal for the city. There is no walking away from the contract, though.

Then there are the schools and the powerful Teacher's Union which has always backed Chicago politics. This has turned into a war as Rahm attempts to stop the bleeding of cash.

It would likely take many, many decades to turn things around and put a dent into the corruption in the city and state. Republican and Democrat Governors are routinely sent to prison. The issues are far beyond political parties.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
There are more poor whites than poor "blacks" in this country, right?
If poverty causes crime, as you imagine, then the white crime rates should be skyrocketing...yet the race that only comprises 13% of the population is responsible for 50% of ALL violent crime...
cold.hard.facts.
whether you like it or not....
Most poor Whites live isolated in rural areas. And the drug war didn't hit rural areas like it did in the inner city. The Drug War played a big part in violent crime. And consider this. Have you been to some of these rural, poor areas. Alot of stuff never gets reported, such as incest.

Another thing is this. Remember Prohibition? Alot of violence with White people over alcohol. The Drug War works the same way with Hispanics and Blacks. Crowded areas, drugs, and gangs means alot of violence.

If the statistics are nothing more than cold hard facts to you, and you don't care about the events surrounding such violence, then what exactly do you want? What do you propose according to how YOU think about the situation? I want a straight answer.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post

You would think the most powerful man in the world being a community organizer from chicago would make fixing the community he knows the best a big time priority! Obama has let down the city of chicago more than anything he has done or not done.
Obama has nothing in common with the poor black community in Chicago beyond skin color and the associated issues. He was raised by white people in Hawaii and attended some of the best schools in the world. Did anyone ever once ask what Bush did for the white folk living in absolute poverty in the rural South because he's from Texas?

Expecting one man, any man, to change an ingrained culture of dysfunction seems a tad unreasonable.
That a black man was elected President of the U.S. gives hope to some black children, assuming they come from an intact and present family that values education. It will not however, change the minds of half the white population in this country that come from cultures that judge people by the color of their skin. If a black man does well it's because a more deserving white person was robbed of an opportunity.

Only way to change a culture is one child at a time, regardless of race or ethnic background.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obama has nothing in common with the poor black community in Chicago beyond skin color and the associated issues. He was raised by white people in Hawaii and attended some of the best schools in the world. Did anyone ever once ask what Bush did for the white folk living in absolute poverty in the rural South because he's from Texas?

Expecting one man, any man, to change an ingrained culture of dysfunction seems a tad unreasonable.
That a black man was elected President of the U.S. gives hope to some black children, assuming they come from an intact and present family that values education. It will not however, change the minds of half the white population in this country that come from cultures that judge people by the color of their skin. If a black man does well it's because a more deserving white person was robbed of an opportunity.

Only way to change a culture is one child at a time, regardless of race or ethnic background.
People can speak about certain things. Bill Cosby can speak on this. Michael Nutter can speak on this. And as well they should. However, as you say, it is going to take more than one man to solve this problem. This problem took some generations to form, and it is going to take time to solve. And it is going to have to start with the family, with a two-parent household.

One thing I learned about the election of President Obama was this. The more things change, the more many things still stay the same. There are still hateful people who don't want anything good for Black people. There are still people who are prejudice, and have resentment down in their hearts.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Reading these posts has temporarily dropped my IQ by 40 points or more. Chicago definately needs some work but the place is pretty safe compared to just 20 years ago when we were clocking 800-900 murders per year. Now, with the murder rate halved, the same jackasses are predicting gloom and doom all over again. It's not surprising that a lot of the crap is coming from the south were peaple aren't exactly 'bright' if you know what I mean.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 AM

370 posts, read 247,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Reading these posts has temporarily dropped my IQ by 40 points or more. Chicago definately needs some work but the place is pretty safe compared to just 20 years ago when we were clocking 800-900 murders per year. Now, with the murder rate halved, the same jackasses are predicting gloom and doom all over again. It's not surprising that a lot of the crap is coming from the south were peaple aren't exactly 'bright' if you know what I mean.
Minus 40 points, eh? So you're down to around 40 or so now?

Allow this southerner to assist you with middle school spelling. I'm "bright" enough to know how to spell the words I use.
The word you struggled with is spelled "definitely"....the other word you're having trouble with is spelled "people".

Why is it ok with you to have 2 or 300 people murdered in "your" city every year?

...and who are committing all these murders, anyway?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Happy Baby Daddy Day, Chicago.

Chicago Shootings: 6 Killed, 13 Wounded Overnight Sunday; 36 Shot Over Weekend

Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
Minus 40 points, eh? So you're down to around 40 or so now?

Allow this southerner to assist you with middle school spelling. I'm "bright" enough to know how to spell the words I use.
The word you struggled with is spelled "definitely"....the other word you're having trouble with is spelled "people".

Why is it ok with you to have 2 or 300 people murdered in "your" city every year?

...and who are committing all these murders, anyway?
Well, Gunther, you managed to catch some typos. Good for you. Now you can go educate the rest of your redneck brethren down south. Speaking of facts, the south is statistically the least educated region in the country.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM

Hey, doesn't Dallas have a double-digit murder rate? The OP should be worried about the city that he lives in. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies