Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
If he really stood for those things he would've joined the Libertarian Party, not the big-government GOP.

Today's GOP is big-government is almost every conceivable fashion: not only do they want the government dictating what people can and can't do with their own bodies, they also always expand the size and scope of government every time they hold power (which leads to presidents like Bill Clinton and Obama having to fix their huge messes and cut federal spending which amassed under Republican administrations).

Therefore, it would not have made any sense for this congressman to join the Libertarian Party.

Socially conservative/religious loons + big government spending = today's modern conservative.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Today's GOP is big-government is almost every conceivable fashion: not only do they want the government dictating what people can and can't do with their own bodies, they also always expand the size and scope of government every time they hold power (which leads to presidents like Bill Clinton and Obama having to fix their huge messes and cut federal spending which amassed under Republican administrations).

Therefore, it would not have made any sense for this congressman to join the Libertarian Party.

Which was exactly my point. The GOP in no way stands for smaller government, and this guy will fit right in.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 AM

370 posts, read 246,950 times
y'all need to wake up. a politician changing parties won't change anything...politicians are the problem.

Here's some more on his decision to switch.

State Sen. Elbert Guillory, now a Republican, says Democratic Party chair remarks helped spur his switch | NOLA.com

After the event, Guillory shed some light on his decision, saying remarks by the state party chair this week influenced his decision.

During debate Wednesday on a bill to expand Medicaid coverage in Louisiana, Sen. Karen Carter Peterson said fellow lawmakers had told her they based their opposition to the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, on the race of the president and not on policy.

"The accusations of racism this week certainly helped push me over the edge. I thought that they were over the edge," Guillory said in an interview Friday. "It just showed me just how far out of tune I was, I am, with the Democrat Party."

The remarks were made Wednesday, the same day Guillory filed his paperwork to change parties.

Speaking after Guillory at the conference on Friday, Louisiana Republican Party Chair Roger Villere again called on Peterson to resign as head of the state Democratic Party.
"The bottom line is that it's never appropriate to demonize and even infer someone is racist for disagreeing with the president," Villere said. "Trust me, we have plenty of reasons to oppose Obamacare and race is not one of them."

typical... anyone white person who disagrees with a "black" person or their agenda is a "racist"...

So, by that "logic".... all "black" people who ever disagreed with ANY other president in the history of the country were "racists"...right?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post

Which was exactly my point. The GOP in no way stands for smaller government, and this guy will fit right in.
Smaller government? That like saying Mom and apple pie...

Reagan was calling for "smaller government" so did Bush 1 and Bush 2.

We all want smaller government, but how is this guy gonna achieve it?

name one thing he believes that will bring down the size of the federal government to a more manageable size?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
LMAO...amazing how you guys fall in love with every kneegrow that comes down the Republican pike.

He's almost 70 years old and he's just now finding his political bearings?

Anyway, bye. Hope he finds his place as the latest black RWNJ.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Guillory announces switch to GOP | Home | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

Welcome, Senator Guillory!

Great news, may it foretell a new age for the vast majority of African Americans, who automatically vote Democrat to the tune of 95%.
Darn you beat me to it: I was just about to post this. Well, Chaffey went from R to I to D and now we have a D go to R and skipped the I. It is interesting to note, he is the only black R in the LA senate.

Nita

Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is also how you get a Progressive Republican party.
The two parties become the same, thing.
Do you care to back up what you have said? I do not follow.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Why do conservatives believe there is some inherent controversy in a person changing political affiliation? people do it every day.
could this have something to do with the minute Chaffey announced he was switching to the D party one of the left wingers couldn't wait to post it? Maybe you choose only to read a few posts, some of us pay a little more attention. What works for one side, can work for the other, wouldn't you agree?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree with his reasoning but he seems very shifty.
Good. That makes him a perfect candidate to become a Republican.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
What took him so long if he really feels this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies