Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is exactly why the agency is being investigated and criminal charges may apply to those guilty. Its independent structure as intended.
Let me know when criminal charges are actually applied to anyone. So far this has been nothing more that republicans whining about being profiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
This is a silly thread. Yes, IRS people, as government employees, are likely to vote democrat. The main reason for that is because of the endless anti-government rhetoric from the GOP. You would have a hard time finding many government employees who would support the GOP, if they care about feeding their families. In fact, most GOP congressmen show open contempt for the very government they want to control and dismantle. There is no place left in the GOP for civil servants who actually want to serve their fellow citizens and do their job honorably. Civil servants are a large slice of the population that the GOP has intentionally vilified to justify more tax cuts for billionaires. You made that bed, lie in it.

People vote their self interest for the most part, and conservative private employees do the same. The question is whether the people acted unprofessionally at work. If they did, they should be reprimanded. Otherwise its none of you damn business how they vote or who they support politically. I suspect that precious few government employees can come anywhere near the fiscal resources of most corporate citizens, so they are outgunned in any case.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So people who work for the IRS shouldn't be allowed to donate their money to whoever they want? Sounds a bit oppressive.
No, they shouldn't and if they do they should be let go immediately. Apparently you don't know the history of IRS abuses going all the way back to FDR. In fact both FDR's and Kennedy's abuse of the IRS as a tool against political dissidents made Nixon's abuses of the IRS look like child's play.

Or maybe you do know that history but since the majority of presidents using that power were democrats you're okay with that?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
No, they shouldn't and if they do they should be let go immediately. Apparently you don't know the history of IRS abuses going all the way back to FDR. In fact both FDR's and Kennedy's abuse of the IRS as a tool against political dissidents made Nixon's abuses of the IRS look like child's play.

Or maybe you do know that history but since the majority of presidents using that power were democrats you're okay with that?
Well good luck finding any employee that has no political point of view. Also it is a bit communist, if you will, to tell people whwt they can and can't do with their own money. Does it also bother you that some of the people at the IRS also donated theur money to republican candidates? And should they be limited on how they spend their money on a federal level only or at state and local levels? Also can they still volunteer their time to any campaign?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well good luck finding any employee that has no political point of view. Also it is a bit communist, if you will, to tell people whwt they can and can't do with their own money. Does it also bother you that some of the people at the IRS also donated theur money to republican candidates? And should they be limited on how they spend their money on a federal level only or at state and local levels? Also can they still volunteer their time to any campaign?
I just wanted you to post your hypocrisy. You're completely against the idea I proposed but you're all for overlooking the IRS using McCarthy-like tactics to silence political dissent.

And you walked right in to it...

Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I just wanted you to post your hypocrisy. You're completely against the idea I proposed but you're all for overlooking the IRS using McCarthy-like tactics to silence political dissent.

And you walked right in to it...
What hypocrisy did I show? I have always been okay with letting people spend their money however they like. It isn't our place to judge.

The only thing I walked into is whatever fantasy playing in your head. Also McCarthy like tactics went after random people that McCarthy didn't like. Now I do agree that it is wrong for the IRS or any group to profile people and would have no issue with anyone caught profiling being fired. But then again, I think that stretched to all parts of the country because profiling is wrong.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You do understand there is no restriction of any federal employee donating to any political party they choose. federal employee's don't lose their liberty, freedoms, or rights by being a federal employee.

Is one of those freedoms using the power of the state to target political adversaries?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Is one of those freedoms using the power of the state to target political adversaries?
So what you are saying is that Cons are now finally against profiling because it effects them?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Tim Carney: The IRS is deeply political

But of course those employees in Cincinnati, Washington DC, and beyond were merely rearranging their "workload."

Only a slimeball liberal of low-intelligence or a total idiot would believe the tripe coming out of Barack Obama's lying, unethical Administration.

Loads of rank and file donors within the ranks of the IRS and 118 visits to the White House by IRS leadership and Barack Obama never heard a peep about this?

What a ****ing crock.

The 96% figure from the employee union is very telling. We see similar figures from other public sector unions. It clearly is not representative of the rank & file, who are surely closer to the 50-50 split seen in the general electorate.

Yet lefty posters are predictably fine with this rigged deal, and quick to make excuses and rationalizations. We should get rid of the public sector unions. If individual public sector workers want to donate to Democrats, go for it. But something tells me that the individuals are not going to donate to dems at a 96% rate.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The 96% figure from the employee union is very telling. We see similar figures from other public sector unions. It clearly is not representative of the rank & file, who are surely closer to the 50-50 split seen in the general electorate.

Yet lefty posters are predictably fine with this rigged deal, and quick to make excuses and rationalizations. We should get rid of the public sector unions. If individual public sector workers want to donate to Democrats, go for it. But something tells me that the individuals are not going to donate to dems at a 96% rate.
Yep, a PAC gave about $60,000 to the Democrats....not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of money when it comes to campaigning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies