Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 AM

159 posts, read 575,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Toppling the statue of Saddam Hussein was a staged event, by U.S. soldiers, for the media. A Reuters long-shot of Firdos Square where the statue was located (see below) shows that the Square was nearly empty when Saddam was torn down. The Square was sealed off by the U.S. military. The 200 people milling about were U.S. Marines, international press and Iraqis. However, the media portrayed it as an event of the Iraqi people. An American military vehicle actually pulled down the statue.

So all those little Iraqi children, who were beating the statue's head with their shoes, were all US Marines? I talked to three different soldiers, all of which spent time over there, and all three of them told me that the Iraqi citizens are thankful for what the soldiers have done for them. The media has done a great job at making it look like our soldiers are just standing around and getting killed with nothing to show for it. Talk to a soldier. You will get a much different perspective. You can't believe everything that Rosie O'Donell, Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, and the Dixie Chicks tell you. Try talking to an Iraqi citizen. I dare you to look them in the eye and say "We never should have helped you people, and your freedom was a waste of our time and money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Noone ever claimed we were going into Iraq to go after Al Qaeda, so this argument is a strawman you need to leave alone.

Of course they didn't claim, it was all carefully composed innuendo about those responsible for 9/11 hearing from us........Rah! Rah! Rah! and the trash talking swaggerer continues his prancing. Nothing like cheap talk to get something done.

That doesn't change my opinion that a more appropriate response to 9/11 would have been to actually step back and assess the situation rather than pursue a personal agenda (this is well documented) that had been established months before 9/11.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
Quote:
Toppling the statue of Saddam Hussein was a staged event, by U.S. soldiers, for the media. A Reuters long-shot of Firdos Square where the statue was located (see below) shows that the Square was nearly empty when Saddam was torn down. The Square was sealed off by the U.S. military. The 200 people milling about were U.S. Marines, international press and Iraqis. However, the media portrayed it as an event of the Iraqi people. An American military vehicle actually pulled down the statue.

So all those little Iraqi children, who were beating the statue's head with their shoes, were all US Marines? I talked to three different soldiers, all of which spent time over there, and all three of them told me that the Iraqi citizens are thankful for what the soldiers have done for them. The media has done a great job at making it look like our soldiers are just standing around and getting killed with nothing to show for it. Talk to a soldier. You will get a much different perspective. You can't believe everything that Rosie O'Donell, Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, and the Dixie Chicks tell you. Try talking to an Iraqi citizen. I dare you to look them in the eye and say "We never should have helped you people, and your freedom was a waste of our time and money."
I'm sure many are thankful for us being there, but most want us out. A pretty solid majority (according to polls) wants the US to either leave immediately or set a quick timetable for withdrawl.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 AM

97 posts, read 369,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
I always hear everybody saying "We are losing the war in Iraq" or "this war is impossible to win." But I'm not so sure I agree with that. Even though I'm not much of a fan of George Bush, I like to give credit where credit is due. Before Bush was president, Sadam Hussein and his sons were ruling Iraq and we considered Iraq to be our worst enemy. After seven years of Bush being president, now Sadam and his sons are dead, and Iraq is no longer our enemy. I'm not sure what people consider a "win", but it seems to me that whenever a country invades another country, then kills their evil leader, re-establishes their government, and then converts them from enemy to friend, doesn't that constitute a win? I remember seeing news footage of Iraqi citizens dancing in the streets and yanking down statues of Sadam when the american soldiers captured him. Shouldn't that be considered a victory?
america won the war, but not the peace

Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Noone ever claimed we were going into Iraq to go after Al Qaeda, so this argument is a strawman you need to leave alone.

Bush has been quoted by the BBC as saying he was told by God to go into Iraq. Unless you have information that refutes that interview I'd say his invasion of Iraq was purely the execution of a personal agenda, I don't think it gets more personal than claiming you're acting as God told you to.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bush has been quoted by the BBC as saying he was told by God to go into Iraq. Unless you have information that refutes that interview I'd say his invasion of Iraq was purely the execution of a personal agenda, I don't think it gets more personal than claiming you're acting as God told you to.
There is some question about this episode:

BBC - Press Office - George Bush on Elusive Peace

White House denies Bush God claims | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

Old 11-05-2007, 11:08 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

So let's see, the people that were actually there related what Bush told them ...and then the White House Press Secretary that was not there vigorously denied it was said.

From the outside looking in, could I suggest it seems more like Bush got loose from his handlers and they had to hunker down into damage control mode.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
So let's see, the people that were actually there related what Bush told them ...and then the White House Press Secretary that was not there vigorously denied it was said.

From the outside looking in, could I suggest it seems more like Bush got loose from his handlers and they had to hunker down into damage control mode.
You're hanging your hat on Nabil Shaath and Abu Mazen?

Lots of luck with that.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You're hanging your hat on Nabil Shaath and Abu Mazen?

Lots of luck with that.
I don't know those guys too well, but I can assure you I will not be hanging my hat on the White House Press Secretary.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I don't know those guys too well, but I can assure you I will not be hanging my hat on the White House Press Secretary.
So you trust people you don't know.

I hope you're not blind, also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies