Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 AM

159 posts, read 575,121 times

Advertisements

I always hear everybody saying "We are losing the war in Iraq" or "this war is impossible to win." But I'm not so sure I agree with that. Even though I'm not much of a fan of George Bush, I like to give credit where credit is due. Before Bush was president, Sadam Hussein and his sons were ruling Iraq and we considered Iraq to be our worst enemy. After seven years of Bush being president, now Sadam and his sons are dead, and Iraq is no longer our enemy. I'm not sure what people consider a "win", but it seems to me that whenever a country invades another country, then kills their evil leader, re-establishes their government, and then converts them from enemy to friend, doesn't that constitute a win? I remember seeing news footage of Iraqi citizens dancing in the streets and yanking down statues of Sadam when the american soldiers captured him. Shouldn't that be considered a victory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
Before Bush was president, Sadam Hussein and his sons were ruling Iraq and we considered Iraq to be our worst enemy. After seven years of Bush being president, now Sadam and his sons are dead, and Iraq is no longer our enemy. I'm not sure what people consider a "win", but it seems to me that whenever a country invades another country, then kills their evil leader, re-establishes their government, and then converts them from enemy to friend, doesn't that constitute a win? I remember seeing news footage of Iraqi citizens dancing in the streets and yanking down statues of Sadam when the american soldiers captured him. Shouldn't that be considered a victory?
First off, who exactly was saying that Saddam was our worst enemy? The only people I recall saying such a thing were the chickenhawk neoconservatives parasites that infect our government like lice, the same people who are now saying that Iran is our worst enemy.

Keep in mind, the next enemy is always the current worst enemy and there are still 211 countries left all with that same potential under the leadership of the right idiot.

I remember generals like Colin Powell, Zinni, Shinseki, Batiste, and Garner all saying things like Saddam was contained, or no threat to the US and only a minimal threat to his neighbors. After all, Iraq engaged in a 8 year war with Iran when the US was supplying both sides with arms and both nations were at full fighting capacity and Iraq could not defeat Iran then.

The day the United States begins to fear tin pot dictators and third rate military forces using 30 year old technology, then we have become the most pathetic and paranoid nation on earth.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
There is no evidence Saddam cooperated with al Qaeda and he posed no imminent threat to the US. We're likely to get far too little in return for a massive investment of blood and $$$ that would have been better directed towards eliminating the true enemy---al Qaeda. It's a hollow victory to claim in a conflict that was unnecessary to begin with.

Iraqis are friends? At best I think they're nothing more than whores whose 'friendship' has been purchased and will happily attack us as soon as the $$$ flow stops.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
No. No. No.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
Even though I'm not much of a fan of George Bush, I like to give credit where credit is due.
How about placing blame where blame is due?

Quote:
Sadam Hussein and his sons were ruling Iraq and we considered Iraq to be our worst enemy. After seven years of Bush being president, now Sadam and his sons are dead, and Iraq is no longer our enemy.
And what exactly have we gained? Our freedom and peace were not affected in any way, shape or form by the presence of Saddam Hussein. That country had nothing to do with 9/11 and we were lied to by our President and his administration in order to attack them because they wanted to fulfill PNAC(the project for the new american century) and deliberately cooking the books to connect Iran with 9/11 was the way to get our country to support going there in the first place. We all know exactly what happened now. It amazing that George W Bush et al are not in prison for this utter betrayal of the american people and everything we've fought for and believed in since the revolution (for heavenssake)

Shame on us.

Quote:
I'm not sure what people consider a "win", but it seems to me that whenever a country invades another country, then kills their evil leader, re-establishes their government, and then converts them from enemy to friend, doesn't that constitute a win?
The only winner was Isreal and the only winner if we attack will be Israel. The US stands to gain nothing but thousands of dead troops and hundreds of billions of dollars spent on the whim of a nutcase who was elected by a bunch of idiot voters who are more aligned with their idealogies then they are with America.

[/quote]
I remember seeing news footage of Iraqi citizens dancing in the streets and yanking down statues of Sadam when the american soldiers captured him.[/quote]
Do also remember seeing the video footage of all those kidnapped folks taken by the terrorists that we caused to flow into Iraq from Syria and Iran?

Quote:
Shouldn't that be considered a victory?
Militarily, we beat Saddam and now in essence, control Iraq. But as far as a victory where there is a winner? Hardly.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,035 times
is it a War or just a war?
how did Saddam get to power? what county(ies) helped him to do so?
wasn't he an Allie during Iran-Iraq conflict? what countries had armed Saddam knowing he was a dictator?
Saddam had invested a lot of $$$$ in the US, was it logical to say that he was going to attack America?
were the WMDs real?(it has been said that they were none)
was the Saddam Al Qada link real (it has been said that it wasn't)
would have Iraq been liberated, had Iraq had no oil?
....etc

Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
It depends on what you mean by winning... are we getting what we "really" want from the war in the first place, not really but who knows in the next couple of years... Could we shut down the war right way? Yeah, but its not in our interest to do so, we are letting it "happen"... consider it using the "enemy" to "control" the region by forcing its government to "rely" on the US to keep the "enemy" at bay. What are our true motives... ask Bush and his friends.. only they know what we "were" suppose to get out of this war.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Many of these posts are simply Monday morning quarterbacking. Unfortunately, Bush didn't have that luxury back in 2001. Saddam had violated his surrender agreement and was thought to have WMD which could easily have been provided to terrorists who could hurt the U.S. or it's interests. If this scenario would've played out, these same people would be complaining the Bush did nothing to protect us, when the intelligence reports reported that it was possible.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Many of these posts are simply Monday morning quarterbacking. Unfortunately, Bush didn't have that luxury back in 2001. Saddam had violated his surrender agreement and was thought to have WMD which could easily have been provided to terrorists who could hurt the U.S. or it's interests. If this scenario would've played out, these same people would be complaining the Bush did nothing to protect us, when the intelligence reports reported that it was possible.

keep on dreaming...after a while, it's called being in DENIAL.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:08 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
keep on dreaming...after a while, it's called being in DENIAL.
If you have evidence that would dispute my claims, feel free to display it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies