Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times

Advertisements

Frankly, I feel deeply discouraged over how deeply the people of the US have become divided. Our governing bodies are dead-locked with each side blaming the other. I often wonder who is running the Country these days when we have some major issues that need to be taken care of and which seem to have become buried under partisan bickering over EVERYTHING.

What if the Rev. Al Sharpton had to stop pontificating for a year? What if Rush Limbaugh took off a year to write his memoirs or something? A completely impartial source would deliver a brief summary of the day's news, and that would be it. I nominate the BBC World News service which seems pretty impartial to me. But feel free to nominate the IMPARTIAL news media of your choice.

Right now we are getting bombarded by so much hateful garbage from BOTH sides, and it only serves the purpose of making everyone more polarized. What if all that stuff just stopped? What if people had to make their OWN conclusions just based on what's happening to them and their friends and communities without anyone telling them how to think?

Would people be more willing to take a step toward each other instead of petitioning to secede from the Union? Would we calm down enough to recognize that we are Americans first, and members of a political party second?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The news is deeply divided because the people are deeply divided. Some want to have others support their lifestyle, others want freedom to live their own life, not finance other people's lifestyle, and not be persecuted for their beliefs. Or you could say that one side wants a fundamentally capitalistic system, and the other side would prefer that the elite in Washington and their friends run everything and everybody.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:53 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
It would hardly make a difference. MSNBC and Fox News are the result of a politically divided country, not the cause. Take them out and something else will rise to take its place. In today's increasingly internet based society one need not even turn on the tv for a heavy dose of partisan politics.
Well, sure. You are correct. I know that IRL, there will always be an individual or a group or an organization to step in and fill the void. I'm talking hypothetically here. Do we allow our favorite demagogues do too much of our thinking for us? Would we be better off if our airwaves weren't filled with so much hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield
Do you have any deeply held beliefs? I mean things that you believe are absolutely crucial to ensuring the future well being of our country and society? If so, which of these are you willing to compromise for the sake of political harmony?
Of course, I have some deeply held beliefs, and I bet you do, as well. I'm not talking about people giving up cherished beliefs just for the sake of "political harmony." I'm thinking more about people reasoning together for the good of the country and the American people. While I have no interest in sitting down with Rush Limbaugh, you and I might actually have a conversation together if were reasonably polite to one another and willing to hear one another out.

Say that you are concerned over the hit to defense spending that the sequester could cause while I'm concerned that the school my child attends is going to have to increase the ratio of students to teachers which will result in over crowded classrooms and lower test scores for the children. You and I couldn't discuss such things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiedogie
The news is deeply divided because the people are deeply divided. Some want to have others support their lifestyle, others want freedom to live their own life, not finance other people's lifestyle, and not be persecuted for their beliefs. Or you could say that one side wants a fundamentally capitalistic system, and the other side would prefer that the elite in Washington and their friends run everything and everybody.
What you are describing is not "news." You are using hyperbole and stereotyping in an attempt to demonize those on the opposite side of the question from you.

A news item might be: "Unemployment in the US has averaged 8% during the current recession." Period.

You and I will then add our own value judgements to this information. If we each listen to our favorite cheerleaders for our two opposing sides, we will feel that our opposing points of view have been validated and we will be less able to really hear what the other person is saying even if their words are moderate.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Of course, I have some deeply held beliefs, and I bet you do, as well. I'm not talking about people giving up cherished beliefs just for the sake of "political harmony." I'm thinking more about people reasoning together for the good of the country and the American people. While I have no interest in sitting down with Rush Limbaugh, you and I might actually have a conversation together if were reasonably polite to one another and willing to hear one another out.

Say that you are concerned over the hit to defense spending that the sequester could cause while I'm concerned that the school my child attends is going to have to increase the ratio of students to teachers which will result in over crowded classrooms and lower test scores for the children. You and I couldn't discuss such things?
So you think you can discuss things with people (unless, of course, they agree with Rush Limbaugh.)

For the purpose of this exercise, let's assume that I support capital punishment, and that you oppose it. Let's come to a reasonable middle ground. You go first. Or, let's try this one. I oppose abortion. You support the right to abortion. How shall we compromise?

You see, the deep divisions in this country are not over the little details like budgets, or spending, or voter ID. They are over deeply held yet fundamentally conflicting views on matters that are often literally life and death issues.

Last edited by Glenfield; 06-02-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
The country is EXTREMELY divided, does not matter if Fox or Msnbc is on the telly or not!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Yes, picking and choosing who can exercise freedom of speech and who cannot is a grand idea.

Lenin & Stalin give it two thumbs up.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Frankly, I feel deeply discouraged over how deeply the people of the US have become divided. Our governing bodies are dead-locked with each side blaming the other. I often wonder who is running the Country these days when we have some major issues that need to be taken care of and which seem to have become buried under partisan bickering over EVERYTHING.

What if the Rev. Al Sharpton had to stop pontificating for a year? What if Rush Limbaugh took off a year to write his memoirs or something? A completely impartial source would deliver a brief summary of the day's news, and that would be it. I nominate the BBC World News service which seems pretty impartial to me. But feel free to nominate the IMPARTIAL news media of your choice.

Right now we are getting bombarded by so much hateful garbage from BOTH sides, and it only serves the purpose of making everyone more polarized. What if all that stuff just stopped? What if people had to make their OWN conclusions just based on what's happening to them and their friends and communities without anyone telling them how to think?

Would people be more willing to take a step toward each other instead of petitioning to secede from the Union? Would we calm down enough to recognize that we are Americans first, and members of a political party second?

Thoughts?

Ron Paul would have won that election hands down! All the news would be internet based.

NBC, & MSNBC are the same deal, So local would be running the same stories to get the agenda.
Local FOX is an hour news, not 30 minutes like the other three local news. They run many of the storys that FOX Cable run.

Isn't CNN and CBS, or is it ABC, that are the same company, really.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ron Paul would have won that election hands down! All the news would be internet based.

NBC, & MSNBC are the same deal, So local would be running the same stories to get the agenda.
Local FOX is an hour news, not 30 minutes like the other three local news. They run many of the storys that FOX Cable run.

Isn't CNN and CBS, or is it ABC, that are the same company, really.
national television helps Ron Paul, not hurts him. Can you name the congressman from the 4th district of California off the top of your head, no, but i bet you would be able to name one of the 2 senators from that state easily.

Also, in the entire history of our country, only one man has been elected President while being a sitting Representative. That was James Garfield.

and ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney. CBS is not owned by Turner(CNN's parent) and CNN is not owned by CBS corporation.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The country is EXTREMELY divided, does not matter if Fox or Msnbc is on the telly or not!
I agree, and I'm not sure MSNBC or Fox have that big an impact. I got these Nielson Ratings from the NRO - Liberals Experiencing Post-Election Letdown and Losing Interest | National Review Online

Total Day
FNC: 1,246,000 total viewers, up 24 percent (236,000 in 25-54, down 5 percent)
CNN: 465,000 total viewers, up 61 percent (161,000 in 25-54, up 92 percent)
MSNBC: 346,000 total viewers, down 10 percent (115,000 in 25-54, down 7 percent)
HLN: 494,000 total viewers, up 111 percent (175,000 in 25-54, up 90 percent)

Primetime
FNC: 1,973,000 total viewers, up 17 percent (308,000 in 25-54, down 6 percent)
CNN: 660,000 total viewers, up 70 percent (225,000 in 25-54, up 97 percent)
MSNBC: 539,000 total viewers, down 20 percent (175,000 in 25-54, down 19 percent)
HLN: 624,000 total viewers, up 91 percent (209,000 in 25-54, up 97 percent)

These aren't whopping numbers. The great majority of Americans aren't watching cable news on tv. Yes, people insert clips into blogs and the echo chamber of the internet makes sure they get a wider distribution than their viewing hours, and we butt heads over who said what within the narrow confines of C-D, but IMO they have much less impact on the American public than we give them credit for.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I agree, and I'm not sure MSNBC or Fox have that big an impact. I got these Nielson Ratings from the NRO - Liberals Experiencing Post-Election Letdown and Losing Interest | National Review Online

Total Day
FNC: 1,246,000 total viewers, up 24 percent (236,000 in 25-54, down 5 percent)
CNN: 465,000 total viewers, up 61 percent (161,000 in 25-54, up 92 percent)
MSNBC: 346,000 total viewers, down 10 percent (115,000 in 25-54, down 7 percent)
HLN: 494,000 total viewers, up 111 percent (175,000 in 25-54, up 90 percent)

Primetime
FNC: 1,973,000 total viewers, up 17 percent (308,000 in 25-54, down 6 percent)
CNN: 660,000 total viewers, up 70 percent (225,000 in 25-54, up 97 percent)
MSNBC: 539,000 total viewers, down 20 percent (175,000 in 25-54, down 19 percent)
HLN: 624,000 total viewers, up 91 percent (209,000 in 25-54, up 97 percent)

These aren't whopping numbers. The great majority of Americans aren't watching cable news on tv. Yes, people insert clips into blogs and the echo chamber of the internet makes sure they get a wider distribution than their viewing hours, and we butt heads over who said what within the narrow confines of C-D, but IMO they have much less impact on the American public than we give them credit for.
Most people don't bother with these networks. FWIW, CNN has the highest cumulative reach at about 90 million unique viewers a month, meaning that 90 million Americans watch at least a minute of CNN at some point during a given month. The division is really at the poles, and MSNBC and FNC are at those poles, beating the drum for a very small number of Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies