Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM

664 posts, read 1,038,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What's next? Are the Village people going to sing YMCA with a new addition to the chorus line...a guy in a Boy Scouts uniform? Maybe if they removed the word "Boy" form the Scouts and just called them Scouts ---then maybe the gay faction would not be so fixated on the organization?
Sad thing is most don't know a single thing about the Scouts aside from what the news media tells them. Don't have a clue as to what that means and what goes with it. They are just being a butthole and making a fuss. Their gay kid would cry home to mama the first Ironman he was in or had to get dropped off out in the sticks for two weeks without his iPod and cell phone.

It's sulting to former Scouts and U.S. Military who were former Scouts at some point in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,129,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
Sad thing is most don't know a single thing about the Scouts aside from what the news media tells them. Don't have a clue as to what that means and what goes with it. They are just being a butthole and making a fuss. Their gay kid would cry home to mama the first Ironman he was in or had to get dropped off out in the sticks for two weeks without his iPod and cell phone.

It's sulting to former Scouts and U.S. Military who were former Scouts at some point in your life.
As a gay man and a former scout, your perception of gay kids is disgustingly stereotyped and offensive.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,160,461 times
[quote=Workin_Hard;29841955]Looks like respect only works one way.

Boy Scouts defy orders, wear uniforms in Utah gay pride parade - U.S. News

Keeping with Scouting tradition feels right for some as well, but political pressures seem to have influenced a change there. This is a rub-it-in-your-face response by activists to changes in official policy, not happy with having won, but going to prove they can do anything they wish in spite of a stated neutral stance by Scouting on involvement in social issues. Next up, singing show tunes around the camp fire.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't get it. What's wrong with singing show tunes. Is that not music??

Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,849,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As a gay man and a former scout, your perception of gay kids is disgustingly stereotyped and offensive.
Gay or straight adult...it is no ones business when it comes to the formation of sexuality among youth. There is no such thing as a "gay kid" a kid is just a kid. Back in the day - when we were 12 years old we did not distinguish between gay or straight..even the potentially gay kids did not think of themselves as "gay" We don't need gay adults instructing kids on their so-called options.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is no such thing as a "gay kid" a kid is just a kid. Back in the day - when we were 12 years old we did not distinguish between gay or straight..even the potentially gay kids did not think of themselves as "gay" We don't need gay adults instructing kids on their so-called options.
I was a gay kid. I knew this and self-identified as gay at age 10. So, yeah, you're just plain wrong. And how about a 15 or 16 or 17 or 18 year old gay kid? There are many Boy Scouts who are 15 or 16 or 17 or 18.

edit: Here's another gay kid talking about the "Don't Say Gay" bill in Tennessee. Do you consider this gay kid imaginary?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Well, as a former Scout would you have wore your best and marched that parade after your Scout Master told you to specifically not to?

I don't know any back in my day who would have been so brave.

They would have kicked us out.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,928,208 times
I'm gay.. and grew up mormon.. and I'm an eagle scout... what is up with all the damn fuss?
i have MY uniform that I EARNED along with each and every badge.. if I wanted to wear it in a gay pride parade.. I would.. and the BSA can eat my hole.. they can't take away what I earned... it's mine

Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Well, as a former Scout would you have wore your best and marched that parade after your Scout Master told you to specifically not to?

I don't know any back in my day who would have been so brave.

They would have kicked us out.
If I wanted to march in a gay pride parade in uniform but my Scoutmaster told me not to do so I don't know what I would have done. I probably would have asked my father (who's an Eagle Scout) what to do and then would have followed his suggestion.

Also, I disagree with the SLC BSA board member's interpretation that doing so violates a BSA rule.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
If I wanted to march in a gay pride parade in uniform but my Scoutmaster told me not to do so I don't know what I would have done. I probably would have asked my father (who's an Eagle Scout) what to do and then would have followed his suggestion.

Also, I disagree with the SLC BSA board member's interpretation that doing so violates a BSA rule.
At least you would have asked your Dad. Sounds like you have more respect for that uniform then the kids who did that do/did now.

That's the part I find disturbing.

That's not your sister's boyfriend's football uniform and class ring you are wearing.......

It's a paramilitary uniform. It should be treated as such.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
At least you would have asked your Dad. Sounds like you have more respect for that uniform then the kids who did that do/did now.

That's the part I find disturbing.

That's not your sister's boyfriend's football uniform and class ring you are wearing.......

It's a paramilitary uniform. It should be treated as such.
It seems only one "kid", 18 year-old Kenji Mikesell, wore a BSA uniform to the parade. And for all I know he did seek the advice of his father.

Also, I don't, and never have met another Scout, who views the BSA as paramilitary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies